Old March 9th 09, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default a quick ticketing query

....which, knowing this group, will result in a particularly
comprehensive answer

I'm planning to travel on a Friday or Saturday evening from Shepherds
Bush to Bletchley, then returning to Euston and back home on the tube,
later that night.

I've got a 16-25 Railcard, and intend to get a Z1-6 off-peak one day
travelcard, and then an off-peak day return to Bletchley. But should
this ticket be from Harrow & Wealdstone (the last calling point), or
Hatch End (the last station in the zones), or is a 'Boundary Zone 6'
available when travelling out of the zones?

thanks,
- martin

Old March 9th 09, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 9, 10:50*am, martin wrote:
...which, knowing this group, will result in a particularly
comprehensive answer

I'm planning to travel on a Friday or Saturday evening from Shepherds
Bush to Bletchley, then returning to Euston and back home on the tube,
later that night.

I've got a 16-25 Railcard, and intend to get a Z1-6 off-peak one day
travelcard, and then an off-peak day return to Bletchley. But should
this ticket be from Harrow & Wealdstone (the last calling point), or
Hatch End (the last station in the zones), or is a 'Boundary Zone 6'
available when travelling out of the zones?

The ticket should be from BZ6 to Bletchley. Zone extension tickets run
*from* BZn *to* $station_outside_the_zones only (and back, if it's a
return ticket). As it's a zone extension ticket, not just a
combination of tickets, you can catch any LM train to Bletchley with
that ticket, whether or not it stops at Harrow or Hatch End.

[begin semi-related information that isn't directly related to your
query]

If you were going the other way, for which BZn tickets are not issued,
life would become more complicated, as you'd need to buy combinations
not extensions. Around London a combination of two tickets can only be
used at non-stopping stations if one is a season ticket (which
includes a period Travelcard but not a one-day Travelcard) and one is
not. If both are day tickets, then you need to stop at the changeover
station.

So in that case you'd need to *either* buy a ticket from Bletchley to
Hatch End and change at Watford for a slow train stopping at Hatch
End, *or* buy a more expensive ticket from Bletchley to Harrow and
take that train. If there happened to be a LM train ex-Bletchley that
non-stopped between Watford and London, you couldn't make any use of
your one-day Travelcard at all on it.

If you have a period travelcard, you can do more or less whatever you
like, except for travelling on Virgin.

[end semirelated information]

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old March 9th 09, 12:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 9, 12:15*pm, wrote:
On Mar 9, 10:50*am, martin wrote:

I've got a 16-25 Railcard, and intend to get a Z1-6 off-peak one day
travelcard, and then an off-peak day return to Bletchley. But should
this ticket be from Harrow & Wealdstone (the last calling point), or
Hatch End (the last station in the zones), or is a 'Boundary Zone 6'
available when travelling out of the zones?

The ticket should be from BZ6 to Bletchley. Zone extension tickets run
*from* BZn *to* $station_outside_the_zones only (and back, if it's a
return ticket). As it's a zone extension ticket, not just a
combination of tickets, you can catch any LM train to Bletchley with
that ticket, whether or not it stops at Harrow or Hatch End.

Thanks. I think that's the information I was after, but was having
trouble tracking down on the web.

I'll just have to hope that the people at the ticket office at SPB
have their heads screwed on, since I've had a little bit of difficulty
obtaining anything from them that's a little out of the ordinary...

- martin

Old March 9th 09, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 03:50:41 -0700 (PDT), martin
wrote:

I've got a 16-25 Railcard, and intend to get a Z1-6 off-peak one day
travelcard, and then an off-peak day return to Bletchley. But should
this ticket be from Harrow & Wealdstone (the last calling point), or
Hatch End (the last station in the zones), or is a 'Boundary Zone 6'
available when travelling out of the zones?

Boundary Zone 6 exists for precisely that purpose, and is the one I'd
go for. The others require the train to stop at the changeover point,
so you'd have to use a slow train going back.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old March 9th 09, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:53:15 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

OTOH you could just buy a 'day travelcard' from Bletchley - which
conveniently adds a Z1-6 travelcard to a return ticket in a single
transaction?

Which is not usable in the direction the OP proposes.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old March 9th 09, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

OTOH you could just buy a 'day travelcard' from Bletchley - which
conveniently adds a Z1-6 travelcard to a return ticket in a single
transaction?

Which is not usable in the direction the OP proposes.

But if you read the section of JB's post I'm replying to, he starts off with
'If you were going the other way'...

Paul

Old March 9th 09, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I bow to the superior knowledge of almost everybody here, but this
sounds very much like the situation that got me into so much trouble
on the way to Bedford. See my post of 4th March, in the thread
"Reading Display" of early December.

I don't think I'll be taking any more boundary zone 6 tickets to
anywhere. The way I was treated by the inspectors was terrible and,
had I been impoverished, would have left me stranded in Bedford with
no way back or means of travel in London when I got back. Not to
mention the impending prosecution.