Old April 2nd 09, 08:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Victoria Line - always DOO?

In article ,
Recliner wrote:
wrote in message

On Apr 2, 7:41 pm, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:

Some 1940-1946 airliners, eg DC-3s Dakotas C-47s remain in constant
daily use even if this is sightseeing.

Not in the UK any more.

They were stopped last year. I'm not sure the precise reason but AIUI
it was a CAA directive or similar.

The reason given (which may or may not be entirely true) was an EU
safety directive which has all sorts of sensible rules when applied to
modern airliners, but most of which would irrelevant to Dakotas.
However, I suspect that if they were making enough money from them to
care, they'd have found a loophole or two.

Would have required serious mods to the airframe which would have
compromised originality - another pointer to these machines being
preserved.

More to the point, the original Boeing 737 and DC-9 airliners were
introduced at the same time as the 1967 stock. I don't think any of
those early models remain in service. The Boeing 747 came along a couple
of years later, and all of its early examples are also long-retired.

To be fair, the weeking out of early 737s, DC9s, 727s and others (BAC-111,
De Havilland Gripper^W Trident) was more down to airport noise
restrictions than anything else. If the same had been applied to the
railways we'd have seen the back of pretty much any locomotive pre-Class
60 (and probably HST to boot) at the same time..

The airliner (well, feederliner) of that era which /is/ still going, and
with many of the early examples still in use (I think..)

And I can't remember when I last saw a first generation Ford Escort from
the same era.

Ooh. 10:40 today. White Mk.1, only mildly rally-modded.

--
Andy Breen ~ Speaking for myself, not the University of Wales
"your suggestion rates at four monkeys for six weeks"

Old April 2nd 09, 08:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Andrew Robert Breen wrote:
In article ,
Recliner wrote:

More to the point, the original Boeing 737 and DC-9 airliners were
introduced at the same time as the 1967 stock. I don't think any of
those early models remain in service. The Boeing 747 came along a couple
of years later, and all of its early examples are also long-retired.

snip..

The airliner (well, feederliner) of that era which /is/ still going, and
with many of the early examples still in use (I think..)

Duh. Forgot to finish sentence. Posting while very very tired.

it should have continued..

"is the Brittan-Norman Trislander, which still seems to be doing stuff up
in Scotland, just like they were in the mid-70s.

--
Andy Breen, not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales
"The internet, that wonderful tool for bringing us into contact
Old April 2nd 09, 08:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Apr 2, 9:01 pm, (Andrew Robert Breen) wrote:

And, so far as passenger flights go, Air Atlantique has been analogous to
preserved-power railtours for a very long time. IIRC the last scheduled

Yep, I did x3 DC3 20 min trips from Luton 1993/1994 for £10 a throw.

Still prefer Viscounts )

--
Nick
Old April 2nd 09, 09:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

peter wrote:
I was a teenager in London when the Victoria line opened, and I can
remember how disconcerting it was to see a train enter the station
with the "driver" sitting back and not touching any of the controls
(or turning and talking to his mate) - yes, they were all men then and
by memory there were often two of them in the drivers cab.

Peter

I remember, on one occasion, seeing the "driver" reading a newspaper as
the train entered the platform.

--
John Ray
Old April 3rd 09, 05:46 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 21:15:11 +0100, Jeremy Double
wrote:

A European Safety directive I believe, which required the fitting of
safety slides (even though the passenger door is only 4ft above the
ground) and oxygen masks (even though it is an unpressurised airliner
and never flies high enough to require oxygen)!

Surely not masks? The KLM/VLM Fokker 50s don't have masks, I believe
as they don't fly high enough to need them. (This causes the safety
demonstration to be oddly short).

Neil

--
Neil Williams