Old April 3rd 09, 11:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default new Stratford London Overground platforms

Apologies if it's already been posted, but I haven't spotted if it is
- I noticed on the way back from work today that the London Overground
platforms will be opening on Wed 15th April. A *slightly* odd date,
but perhaps they want to give themselves a day after the Easter
Weekend engineering works to make sure they don't over run etc.

Old April 4th 09, 10:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 15:43:11 -0700 (PDT), Martin Petrov
wrote:

Apologies if it's already been posted, but I haven't spotted if it is
- I noticed on the way back from work today that the London Overground
platforms will be opening on Wed 15th April. A *slightly* odd date,
but perhaps they want to give themselves a day after the Easter
Weekend engineering works to make sure they don't over run etc.

This press release gives further details.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/11476.aspx

That says "The platforms which are part of the station's redevelopment for
the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games will be brought into service
on the evening of Tuesday 14 April."

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 4th 09, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 04:49:29 -0500,

wrote:

wrote:

Apologies if it's already been posted, but I haven't spotted if it
is - I noticed on the way back from work today that the London
Overground platforms will be opening on Wed 15th April. A *
slightly* odd date, but perhaps they want to give themselves a
day after the Easter Weekend engineering works to make sure they
don't over run etc.

This press release gives further details.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/11476.aspx

That says "The platforms which are part of the station's redevelopment
for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games will be brought into
service on the evening of Tuesday 14 April."

Well yes - I suspect the reference to the 15th refers to the first full
day of service at the new platforms while the 14th is a complete hotch
potch of restricted service and varying platform use throughout the day.
I saw the notices at Stratford last weekend but didn't actually read
them as I rarely use the NLL from there and I know that the service is
going to move after the Easter break.

:-)

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 5th 09, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 04:49:29 -0500,

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

New April timetable (3 tph from Richmond) then the line shuts December for
16 weeks Gospel Oak to Stratford. Probably no rail replacement and no
refunds for having to use zone 1 : (

Old April 7th 09, 10:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

This press release gives further details.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/11476.aspx

Does this include a bit of intentional double counting, exaggeration, or
just a typo - if the platforms really are 250m long they should be ok for 12
cars...

"The new platforms have been built together as an 'island platform' which
will enable trains to arrive and leave on either side. At 250 metres long
they will reduce congestion and be capable of taking six-car trains in the
future."

It's been copied across into various places now, so will probably end up as
fact!
If all island platforms are going to be measured by adding both sides
together, that'll do a lot for national station capacity at little cost...

Paul S

Old April 7th 09, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 5, 6:17*pm, "Peter Tomlin" wrote:

[snip]

New April timetable (3 tph from Richmond) then the line shuts December for
16 weeks Gospel Oak to Stratford. Probably no rail replacement and no
refunds for having to use zone 1 : (

What makes you say that about rail replacement buses? LO laid on a
full provision of rail replacement bus services when the NLL was
closed between Gospel Oak and Willesden Jn last autumn for ten or so
weeks, so I'd expect them to do just the same this time around. The
problematic bit will be serving the stretch between Hackney and
Stratford, as the obvious direct road route via Carpenters Road is
unavailable because it's within the Olympic Park construction zone. I
imagine the replacement bus service might well be split somewhere,
like Hackney Central, so that it remains reliable.

Agree that it's most unlikely there'd be any refunds for using zone 1,
or more to the point being allowed to cross zone 1 for zone 2 prices.
Whilst Oyster might on the face of it make such a thing possible, the
potential complexities of allowing such a thing are pretty mind-
numbing and I'd think the unintended knock-on consequences would be
fairly significant too.
Old April 7th 09, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Tomlin wrote:

New April timetable (3 tph from Richmond) then the line shuts
December for 16 weeks Gospel Oak to Stratford.

But the 'new April timetable' is only a peak change, and you've rather
simplified that anyway, as although it is only 3 through trains per hour
from Richmond, with additional Richmond - Willesden shuttles now and then.

The NR planner has the times loaded, eg am peak Richmond departures:
0705/25/42/49[WJ only] - 0804/25/42 - 0904/22/41/57
then the normal 4 tph as it is now, so it doesn't seem exactly life
changing...

Paul S

Old April 7th 09, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 7, 1:32*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Peter Tomlin wrote:
New April timetable (3 tph from Richmond) then the line shuts
December for 16 weeks Gospel Oak to Stratford.

But the 'new April timetable' is only a peak change, and you've rather
simplified that anyway, as although it is only 3 through trains per hour
from Richmond, with additional Richmond - Willesden shuttles now and then..

The NR planner has the times loaded, eg am peak Richmond departures:
0705/25/42/49[WJ only] - 0804/25/42 - 0904/22/41/57
then the normal 4 tph as it is now, so it doesn't seem exactly life
changing...

No, quite - thanks for picking that up, I'd managed to miss what Peter
Tomlin was suggesting would happen. As you say, it's only a a peak-
time change, and what's more the 4tph peak time service from Richmond
will resume once work on the NLL is finished.

The relevant press release is he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/11408.aspx