Old April 4th 09, 11:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Unusual Piccadilly movement at Acton Town

I was on a westbound Piccadilly Line train from the Rayner's lane branch
at about 6:45pm on Friday that stopped for a while at Acton Town,
waiting for a relief driver. So far, nothing unusual, but then another
westbound Piccadilly train pulled into platform 4 (the westbound
District platform). Normally only trains from Ealing Common do this; I
don't know which branch the second train had come from. It would be
surprising if another Rayner's Lane train had been following our train
so closely, but very rare for a train from the Heathrow direction to be
using that section of (test) track.

The second train was the first to leave Acton Town, and I dashed across
when I heard the doors beeping. To my considerable surprise, we stayed
on the District tracks, running non-stop to Hammersmith. The other train
(ie, the one I'd moved from) overtook us along the way, and was leaving
Hammersmith just as we arrived there at the District platform.

I can't remember any previous occasion when Piccadilly Line trains ran
in parallel on both westbound tracks, with both running non-stop. As far
as I'm aware, the District service was running, and I think we must have
been following a District stopper, which is why the other Picc train
overtook us.

Does this sort of thing happen often, and what could have made it
necessary? Or did someone make a mistake?

Old April 5th 09, 12:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote
I was on a westbound Piccadilly Line train from the Rayner's lane branch
at about 6:45pm on Friday that stopped for a while at Acton Town,
waiting for a relief driver.

Westbound trains usually travel *to* the Rayners Lane line from Acton Town.
Old April 5th 09, 05:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

[Assuming you mean "eastbound"...]

"Recliner" wrote in
:

I was on a westbound Piccadilly Line train from the Rayner's lane
branch at about 6:45pm on Friday that stopped for a while at Acton
Town, waiting for a relief driver. So far, nothing unusual, but then
another westbound Piccadilly train pulled into platform 4 (the
westbound District platform). Normally only trains from Ealing Common
do this; I don't know which branch the second train had come from. It
would be surprising if another Rayner's Lane train had been following
our train so closely, but very rare for a train from the Heathrow
direction to be using that section of (test) track.

I often travel east from Northfields at that time of day (well, any time
between 5:30 and 9:30), and it's not at all unusual to end up on the
outside (District) platform). I would estimate it happens to me more
often than once a fortnight.

It *is* unusual to then run down the slow line to Hammersmith - I can't
remember ever being on a train that did that. Are there points between
Hammersmith and Barons Court that put the train back where it should
have been?
Old April 5th 09, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,

*Subject:* Unusual Piccadilly movement at Acton Town
*From:* "Recliner"
*Date:* Sun, 5 Apr 2009 00:29:09 +0100

[...]

Can we all assume you are confusing West and East?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 5th 09, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote on 05 April 2009 07:44:35 ...
[Assuming you mean "eastbound"...]

[wrong directions now corrected in original post below]

"Recliner" wrote in
:

I was on [an EASTbound] Piccadilly Line train from the Rayner's
lane branch at about 6:45pm on Friday that stopped for a while
at Acton Town, waiting for a relief driver. So far, nothing unusual,

That it should be viewed as "nothing unusual" for a train to stop for a
while waiting for a train operator *in the evening peak* is an awful
indictment of the current management and/or timetable of the Piccadilly
Line.

but then another [EASTbound] Piccadilly train pulled into platform 4 (the
[EASTbound] District platform). Normally only trains from Ealing Common
do this; I don't know which branch the second train had come from. It
would be surprising if another Rayner's Lane train had been following
our train so closely, but very rare for a train from the Heathrow
direction to be using that section of (test) track.

I think you'll find that any eastbound train from Northfields can access
Platform 4, not just those on the 'local' (test track).

I often travel east from Northfields at that time of day (well, any time
between 5:30 and 9:30), and it's not at all unusual to end up on the
outside (District) platform). I would estimate it happens to me more
often than once a fortnight.

It *is* unusual to then run down the slow line to Hammersmith - I can't
remember ever being on a train that did that.

When the District is disrupted, the Picc does sometimes use the District
tracks and stop at all stations, but I agree that it's rare for it to
run non-stop on the District ('local') tracks.

Are there points between Hammersmith and Barons Court that put the
train back where it should have been?

Yes, immediately east of Hammersmith station.

The other train (ie, the one I'd moved from) overtook us along the
way, and was leaving Hammersmith just as we arrived there at the
District platform. [...] As far as I'm aware, the District service was
running, and I think we must have been following a District stopper,
which is why the other Picc train overtook us.

Not necessarily. The speed limit is 35 mph on the District tracks, with
25 mph at the starter signals at each of the 4 intermediate stations,
compared to 45 mph for most of the Piccadilly IIRC.
--
Richard J.

Old April 5th 09, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , James
Farrar writes

It *is* unusual to then run down the slow line to Hammersmith - I can't
remember ever being on a train that did that. Are there points between
Hammersmith and Barons Court that put the train back where it should
have been?

There are bi-directional crossovers between Piccadilly and District just
east of Hammersmith (at either end of the Piccadilly siding in the
middle of the track formation).

There was a time when early and late Piccadilly services would start
from / end at West Kensington (being stabled at Lillie Bridge
overnight), using District tracks for the most easterly part of the
route (and possibly right through to Acton Town). A few of these
services still ran as staff trains until about 15 years ago.

But I agree that it's rare to see Piccadilly trains on the district
tracks as far east as Hammersmith these days.

--
Paul Terry
Old April 5th 09, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

Can we all assume you are confusing West and East?

Yes, I plead guilty.

Old April 5th 09, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Salmon" wrote in message

"Recliner" wrote
I was on a westbound Piccadilly Line train from the Rayner's lane
branch at about 6:45pm on Friday that stopped for a while at Acton
Town, waiting for a relief driver.

Westbound trains usually travel *to* the Rayners Lane line from Acton
Town.

Yes, I'm sorry, I got that wrong.

Old April 5th 09, 07:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message

James Farrar wrote on 05 April 2009
07:44:35 ...
[Assuming you mean "eastbound"...]

[wrong directions now corrected in original post below]

"Recliner" wrote in
:

I was on [an EASTbound] Piccadilly Line train from the Rayner's
lane branch at about 6:45pm on Friday that stopped for a while
at Acton Town, waiting for a relief driver. So far, nothing unusual,

That it should be viewed as "nothing unusual" for a train to stop for
a while waiting for a train operator *in the evening peak* is an awful
indictment of the current management and/or timetable of the
Piccadilly Line.

It's happened for as long as I can remember, so there's nothing new
about this. The same happens on the District at Earls Court.

but then another [EASTbound] Piccadilly train pulled into platform
4 (the [EASTbound] District platform). Normally only trains from
Ealing Common do this; I don't know which branch the second train
had come from. It would be surprising if another Rayner's Lane
train had been following our train so closely, but very rare for a
train from the Heathrow direction to be using that section of
(test) track.

I think you'll find that any eastbound train from Northfields can
access Platform 4, not just those on the 'local' (test track).

I wasn't aware of that.

Old April 5th 09, 07:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , James
Farrar writes

I often travel east from Northfields at that time of day (well, any time
between 5:30 and 9:30), and it's not at all unusual to end up on the
outside (District) platform). I would estimate it happens to me more
often than once a fortnight.

There's a crossover from the EB fast to the EB local just west of Acton
Town. In 7 years, I think I've only been routed over it about 3 times.
I note that EB 261 and 315 (ex Northfields at 2101 and 2142
respectively) are booked to do this move although I've never seen it so
it may be an Acton turn that does it.

You could, of course have travelled east along the EB local/test track
from Northfields. You can only end up in the EB local platform at Acton
if you do, there is no route to the fast until you're east of Acton
Town. There is also a booked train for this (326 ex Northfields at 0125
sadly out of service) although I remember in the last timetable there
was one around 2115 in passenger service which seems to have disappeared
now.

It *is* unusual to then run down the slow line to Hammersmith - I can't
remember ever being on a train that did that. Are there points between
Hammersmith and Barons Court that put the train back where it should
have been?

Ahem.. Local line if you don't mind; you'll have the District Railway
boys having apoplexy!

There is a crossover east of Hammersmith where a train routed along the
local can regain the fast. Again not common, I think I've done it about
half a dozen times.