Old May 1st 09, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses
MIG MIG is offline

Default Buggy On Bus Discrimination Claim

On 1 May, 07:33, "Ian F." wrote:
"Neil Williams" wrote in message

I must admit this is one that gets me. *Assuming a 2-parent family
(which I know isn't a given, but is still AIUI the majority), why do
both parents and the screaming kid who really doesn't want to be there
have to go together to the supermarket so they can irritate the other
shoppers?

It's a well-known fact that people only take their kids to the supermarket
so they can hit them!

Ian

But who ripped off whose joke? Was it David Baddiel or Jack Dee?

But in general, all public transport would run more smoothly without
the passengers for whom it is intended to provide a service.

The only passenger who never causes any delay or annoyance on the bus
is the one left standing (or sitting) on the pavement. The way that
performance on London Buses seems to be measured by getting empty
buses to checkpoints on time without being troubled by passengers is
in line with a general move towards only efficient passengers being
allowed on.

What side of the efficiency line might members of this group end up on
as they get older or have kids?

Old May 1st 09, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Graham J
writes
Eh? Apart from the routemaster I can't think of any London buses that
*don't*
have doors in the middle.

There are a few single door PDLs in use on my local route

You know, I initially read that as "PD3s", which made me pause and
stare!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old May 1st 09, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"MIG" wrote in message

But who ripped off whose joke? Was it David Baddiel or Jack Dee?

Eh?

But in general, all public transport would run more smoothly without
the passengers for whom it is intended to provide a service.

No. It would run much more smoothly without whingeing, grizzling brats in
prams the size of Peckham, and their chav 'mothers', taking over a bus.

What side of the efficiency line might members of this group end up on
as they get older or have kids?

I am 58 years old and have kids older than you.

Ian

Old May 1st 09, 11:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses
MIG MIG is offline

On May 1, 10:35*pm, "Ian F." wrote:
"MIG" wrote in message

But who ripped off whose joke? *Was it David Baddiel or Jack Dee?

Eh?

About fifteen or sixteen years ago, Jack Dee appeared on TV doing a
string of standup jokes identical to the ones which David Baddiel had
just appeared on TV doing. This included the one about people taking
their children to the supermarket to smack them.

I didn't know who ripped off whom, but maybe your version was the
original?

But in general, all public transport would run more smoothly without
the passengers for whom it is intended to provide a service.

No. It would run much more smoothly without whingeing, grizzling brats in
prams the size of Peckham, and their chav 'mothers', taking over a bus.

It would also run more smoothly without marauding zebras.

What side of the efficiency line might members of this group end up on
as they get older or have kids?

I am 58 years old and have kids older than you.

Mistaken identity.
Old May 6th 09, 12:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 12:17:56PM +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

I haven't caught a bus in London for years (excluding the private buses
at airports, for the pedantic).

Have you tried using different bait?

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

Featu an incorrectly implemented bug

Old May 7th 09, 06:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
rth.li...
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, neverwas wrote:

Ian Jelf wrote:
This surprised me:

Possibly less surprising if you read "buggy" as shorthand for
"my-other-Chelsea-tractor-is-even-bigger-than-this-2-tier-ankle-breaker".

Quite. And what's this 'buggy park'? Do they mean 'wheelchair space'? I do
wish people with buggies would fall down and die. If your children are
small enough to need a pushchair, they're small enough to lift out of it
with ease. If they're big enough that you can't, they should bloody well
be walking. It does nobody except the parent any favours, and certainly
not the children, to keep them strapped in a buggy.

Sterilise the lot of 'em, i say.

Mothers should have been shot at birth.

(Sorry late reply - just out of hosp, heart attack)

--
Ian

Old May 7th 09, 06:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"Ian F." wrote in message
"Clive" wrote in message

When I drove buses (70s) you either folded your buggy or pushchair or you
didn't get on full stop. Further it went in the little luggage bay
where the conductor stood, not in the seating area.

That was by far the best way, but I guess the layout of the new buses
doesn't allow for that.

What do the owners of these huge kiddie-carts do when there's someone in a
wheelchair in 'their' space? Shove them out of the way?

Sensible thing to do is not let the excess buggy on, and tell the
buggypusher "there's another bus behind".

(Which is normally quite true. You just don't know *how far* behind.)

Old May 7th 09, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"Ian" wrote:

Mothers should have been shot at birth.

Yours included? ;-)

Old May 7th 09, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"Ian" wrote in message

(Sorry late reply - just out of hosp, heart attack)

--
Ian

Welcome back, Ian. Hope you're making a good recovery (but are you certain
that reading this NG won't lead to complications with the blood pressure?)

AG ; )