Old October 10th 03, 01:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default Britains Crap Roads, Answers wanted

"W K" wrote in message

"Depresion" wrote in message

There fair from my local station (when it reopens) starts from about £70

per
person if I book well in advance don't mind not arriving till the mid

afternoon
(if the trains are on time) and doesn't garnetee a seat. That's a lot more

than
a return flight to Paris from my local airport.

Thats rubbish.

Perhaps you have easyjet flights, booked well in advance at an inconvenient
hours.
But, try it at a weekend and it'll be 70 quid if you book well in advance in
winter.
OTOH business hours flights on BA will cost over £200

Why would I fly BA if I can get flights cheaper? That's like saying I can book
tickets by rail for £70 but Would have to pay £210 for 1st class. I'd be stung
for £145 for the cheapest business hours trains.

Unfortunately I can't get the BA website to give prices for any dates it just
sits at:
"Price and availability information is being gathered. In a moment, you will be
able to explore your options, then book your tickets."

Also: train fares.
Choose the journeys you say, and I'd guess you can get to london from
scotland for less than 40 quid.

I'm not in Scotland and booking well in advance I can't get tickets for less
than £70 on the trains (booking in advance through my local station) lord help
me should I want an open return as the price jumps to £145 and still no
guarantee of a seat. (Ok to I could actually get a ticket for just under £50 if
I were happy to change twice and more than double the jury time, that would make
it only singly more expensive than flying to Paris). I really shouldn't be
phoning the station and looking on trainline I have other things to do, sadly
this is actually more interesting.)

Old October 10th 03, 02:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
W K W K is offline

"Depresion" wrote in message

"W K" wrote in message

"Depresion" wrote in message

There fair from my local station (when it reopens) starts from about

£70
per
person if I book well in advance don't mind not arriving till the mid

afternoon
(if the trains are on time) and doesn't garnetee a seat. That's a lot

more
than
a return flight to Paris from my local airport.

Thats rubbish.

Perhaps you have easyjet flights, booked well in advance at an

inconvenient
hours.
But, try it at a weekend and it'll be 70 quid if you book well in

advance in
winter.
OTOH business hours flights on BA will cost over £200

Why would I fly BA if I can get flights cheaper?

Because there aren't many easyjet ones.
So you have more flexibility, can cancel etc.
So if you arrive 38 minutes ahead of the flight you might get on.

I'd be stung
for £145 for the cheapest business hours trains.

Aren't you in the north west somewhere? you can get them for less.

Also: train fares.
Choose the journeys you say, and I'd guess you can get to london from
scotland for less than 40 quid.

I'm not in Scotland and booking well in advance I can't get tickets for

less
than £70 on the trains (booking in advance through my local station)

Try the alternatives.

me should I want an open return as the price jumps to £145 and still no

Whatever you do, don't compare _that_ to easyjet.

guarantee of a seat.

should be able to.

Old October 10th 03, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"W K" wrote in message

"Depresion" wrote in message

"W K" wrote in message

"Depresion" wrote in message

[...]

Not according to the booking office at my station or trainline, if you know
someone who can beet there prices the please tell me as It's quite obvious that
both of them are overcharging.

Old October 10th 03, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
W K W K is offline

"Depresion" wrote in message

I'd be stung
for £145 for the cheapest business hours trains.

Aren't you in the north west somewhere? you can get them for less.

Not according to the booking office at my station or trainline, if you

know
someone who can beet there prices the please tell me as It's quite obvious

that
both of them are overcharging.

It depends where you are going from. A clue as to which stations you could
drive to would be useful.
Theres a very early one you can pick up from Warrington or crewe, that'll be
at least 40 less.

If you can be rigid on return times at approx 18:20 + (or even before),
Then even with an expensive outbound single, you can get a dead cheap return
leg (16 quid?) Making the whole thing ~80 or 90.

I know thats not great, but its a market driven thing.
They can charge 145 quid and fill the train.
Would you really want state intervention to force that price down? The
bugger would be packed!

Old October 10th 03, 04:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"W K" wrote in message

I know thats not great, but its a market driven thing.
They can charge 145 quid and fill the train.
Would you really want state intervention to force that price down? The
bugger would be packed!

They are bad enough as it is, without more people on them but I still find it
odd that I can get to Paris for a meeting cheaper than I can to London. Then
again there is more competition when flying than there is taking the train.