Old October 12th 03, 12:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default Britains Crap Roads, Answers wanted

In article , says...

Can you get from Manchester to London return same day in a hire car for less
than £20?

You can't get from Manchester to London return same day on the train
for under £20 either.

--
Conor

Hi. This is my friend, Jack ****, and you don't know him.
Old October 12th 03, 12:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

In article , says...

Can two people get from Manchester to London and back by train in a day for
less than the cost of hire car plus petrol?

So how much is that?

£11 car hire. £40 petrol.

Old October 12th 03, 12:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

In article , says...

That's not bad.
Unfortunately it would cost me and the family £80 return for the fare to
Stansted (4 hour-ish journey) plus the trouble of crossing London.

Should've used a car...

Old October 12th 03, 01:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 01:49:27 +0100, Conor Turton wrote:

In article , says...

The fare from my local station in Hampshire to London, 2 adults 4
children is £51.50.
How can I get to Paris for less?

Easyjet.

Taxes are over £50 for 6 people, even one way and without the tickets,
and easyjet aren't illegally subsidised like ryanair so cant get away with
99p tickets.
Old October 12th 03, 01:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 01:57:12 +0100, Conor Turton wrote:

In article , says...

That's not bad.
Unfortunately it would cost me and the family £80 return for the fare
to Stansted (4 hour-ish journey) plus the trouble of crossing London.

Should've used a car...

To stansted? And risk getting trapped on the M11 in massive 4" snow drifts?
Old October 12th 03, 06:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

That's not bad.
Unfortunately it would cost me and the family £80 return for the fare
to Stansted (4 hour-ish journey) plus the trouble of crossing London.

Should've used a car...

To stansted? And risk getting trapped on the M11 in massive 4" snow

drifts?

M11? Why use that? From Hampshire, go up the M3/M25, round to J21A, up the
A405/A414 (or off at J22 and through Colney Heath, and out onto the A414,
cutting off all the roundabouts but one), then A1(M) for one junction, and
then A414/A10/A120. Cuts off that PITA section on the M25 past the lane
drop at the A10 junction. Don't know if it'd be much quicker on a clear
run, but I doubt there'd be much in it. There are a few roadworks on the
A10 around that section at the moment though.

FWIW I never use the M11 going to Norwich from anywhere West of the M25 - I
always head up to the A1(M) as above, and then up through Baldock, and along
the A505. Much nicer drive, and very little in it, even assuming clear
traffic on the M25/M11.

Peter