Old May 15th 09, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursday

In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

Ah, i'd shamelessly filtered to near the front, and then found that
i couldn't take a secondary position, and chickened out of scooting
out in front of the head of the queue to take primary. In the end i
just pedalled like mad and prayed.

I find I have no problem getting away at the front at lights and my bike
is pretty ordinary.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old May 15th 09, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Default Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursdayevening?

On May 14, 1:00*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2009, Alistair Bell wrote:
But with all that said, I'd be tempted to just leave the bike at Hither
Green (or Lewisham) station in the morning. Or just not cycle that day.

I don't understand this idea - which morning? Are you suggesting i should
have cycled there this morning (from Finsbury Park) before work, then got
the train from there to work today, and then back again this evening,
followed by riding back to Finsbury Park tonight?

Pretty much, yes. Of course, you didn't tell us where you were
starting from. (And it's not like Fin Park is the back of beyond.)
Personally, I'd probably have just left the bike at home.
Old May 16th 09, 11:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 16 May, 18:17, "John Rowland"
In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2009, wrote:

In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

Ah, i'd shamelessly filtered to near the front, and then found that
i couldn't take a secondary position, and chickened out of scooting
out in front of the head of the queue to take primary. In the end i
just pedalled like mad and prayed.

I find I have no problem getting away at the front at lights and
my bike is pretty ordinary.

How is that relevant?

No pedalling like mad or praying required.

The performance of a human-propelled vehicle is somewhat dependent on the
performance of the propellor.-

I think the discussion was of the approach to the junction at Deptford
Broadway.

You have to come off the small roundabout by Creekmouth and get into
the right lane in order to go straight ahead at the junction. But
then the trouble is that the lanes are very narrow. To be on the left
side of the right lane, you have to block that lane for 100 yards or
more. The other option is to be on the right of the left lane, but
that's risky if there is left-turning stuff overtaking. The left-
turning lane will often be moving while the straight ahead lane on the
right is slow or stopped, because of the filtering sequence.

There's no particular problem if you are at the front at the junction
when the lights clear. I wouldn't fancy nipping in from the left to
squeeze between the traffic island (between left filter and straight
ahead) and a moving car though. Luckily, the lights are green for
such a short time that this is rarely necessary,

DLR Taking the PIS MIG London Transport 5 February 4th 09 12:24 AM
Couple banned for life from shopping centre and branded 'terrorists' - for taking photos of their grandchildren Dr. Lippschitz London Transport 0 January 6th 08 11:47 PM
Hither Green 73C MaxB London Transport 2 January 9th 07 03:36 PM
Taking the PIS asdf London Transport 5 September 13th 06 09:28 PM
Taking a dog on the underground AndyColeman London Transport 19 July 23rd 05 09:55 AM