Old May 16th 09, 10:16 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail under way

On 2009-05-16 06:52:12 +0100, MIG said:

On 16 May, 02:05, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2009, Richard J. wrote:
Paul Scott wrote on 15 May 2009 19:38:

46 ...

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations,

and
have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Probably. *Do you have a better naming plan?

Canary Wharf West, Canary Wharf Market, and Canary Wharf Main Line!

There'll be as many as Actons before we know it,

Anyway, in keeping with Maidstone, the one furthest north should be
called Canary Wharf East, and in keeping with Canterbury, the one
furthest south should be called Canary Wharf East. This will avoid
confusion.

If the Canary Wharf were to be found west of London, then one would
certainly be Canary Wharf General...
--
Robert

Old May 16th 09, 10:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
rth.li...
On Fri, 15 May 2009, Richard J. wrote:

Paul Scott wrote on 15 May 2009 19:38:46

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations,
and have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Probably. Do you have a better naming plan?

Canary Wharf West, Canary Wharf Market, and Canary Wharf Main Line!

Perhaps Poplar should become Canary Wharf North East - might even be nearer
than Canary Wharf DLR?

Paul S

Old May 16th 09, 10:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
m...

By the way, I note that one of the new Crossrail maps shows "Heathrow
T1,2,3 and 4". Until now they have seemed reluctant to admit that
Crossrail won't serve T5, and indeed most of the maps still show just
"Heathrow" or "Heathrow Airport", and all of them show only one station
'blob'.

Are you talking about the (carriage style) line maps? Most info published
about service patterns has fairly categorically been about T4 via T123 for a
few years now.

Paul S

Old May 16th 09, 10:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
03:06:34 on Sat, 16 May 2009, Mr Thant
remarked:
Wow. I didn't realise it was going to grow out of the water like that. How
is it connected to dry land on the side we can't see? Two little bridges
like on the side we can, or more? The bridges on this side don't seem like
a lot of capacity for such a major station.

Diagram he
http://tinyurl.com/ojt5nc

And the railway lines - deep underground I suppose (below the docks).
Old May 16th 09, 11:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On May 15, 11:58*pm, "Richard J." wrote:

Paul Scott wrote on 15 May 2009
19:38:46 ...

I see from the Crossrail site they are now referring to the station as
'Canary Wharf' and no longer 'Isle of Dogs'.

The press release *for today's announcement refers to "the renamed
Canary Wharf station".

Boo! I far preferred it being named Isle of Dogs, it was an antidote
against all the slick presentation. Calling it Canary Wharf is just
boring. Unless the canaries come back.

Is there any detail available yet about direct interchange between the DLR
and Crossrail here - it is the DLR station at West India Quay that is
immediately above, so could there yet be some renaming of existing stations?

The WIQ/Crossrail positioning is roughly a mirror image of that for
Heron Quays / Jubilee Line. *WIQ will probably be slightly nearer that
DLR Canary Wharf, but not much.

Yes, West India Quay DLR will likely provide the slightly less fussy
route from the Crossrail station. No "direct interchange" as such, but
more or less as good as that.

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations, and
have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Probably. *Do you have a better naming plan?

Canary Wharf Gone To The Dogs? Canary Wharf Taxpayers entrance? Canary
Woof? Insert Money Here? Canary Wharf (Doghouse)? Canary Wharf: Set
the Dog Amongst the Finches? Thatcherville? The Old Lady of Finchley
Wharf? We Used To Make Stuff, Y'Know? Stepney Marsh?

Old May 16th 09, 11:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote on 16 May 2009
11:24:51 ...
"Richard J." wrote in message
m...

By the way, I note that one of the new Crossrail maps shows "Heathrow
T1,2,3 and 4". Until now they have seemed reluctant to admit that
Crossrail won't serve T5, and indeed most of the maps still show just
"Heathrow" or "Heathrow Airport", and all of them show only one station
'blob'.

Are you talking about the (carriage style) line maps? Most info published
about service patterns has fairly categorically been about T4 via T123 for a
few years now.

I'm talking about the route maps on the Crossrail site at
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/pages/routemaps03.html

That page lists the following ...

Route regional map May 2009.pdf - 209.7Kb
Route connections May 2009.pdf - 192.8Kb
Route connections with airports May 2009.pdf - 217.1Kb
Route linear map large print May 2009.pdf - 153.2Kb
Route linear map May 2009.pdf - 159.1Kb

.... of which only the last shows T1,2,3 and 4.

--
Richard J.
Old May 16th 09, 01:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 16 May, 11:52, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
03:06:34 on Sat, 16 May 2009, Mr Thant
And the railway lines - deep underground I suppose (below the docks).

Yes:
http://tinyurl.com/q8spkt

Old May 16th 09, 01:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
06:24:04 on Sat, 16 May 2009, Mr Thant
remarked:
And the railway lines - deep underground I suppose (below the docks).

Yes:
http://tinyurl.com/q8spkt

Very revealing. Four floors of retail, then ticket hall below that and
the platforms below that.

I was wondering why they needed such a long building if the trains were
below the surface. RETAIL!
Old May 16th 09, 02:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
,
at 06:24:04 on Sat, 16 May 2009, Mr Thant
remarked:
And the railway lines - deep underground I suppose (below the
docks).

Yes:
http://tinyurl.com/q8spkt

Very revealing. Four floors of retail, then ticket hall below that and
the platforms below that.

I was wondering why they needed such a long building if the trains
were below the surface. RETAIL!

Maybe they wouldn't be allowed to have platforms below water.

Old May 16th 09, 02:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 16 May 2009, DW downunder wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
rth.li...
On Fri, 15 May 2009, Mr Thant wrote:

Note that West India Quay and Canary Wharf DLR aren't even in the photo. I
think the walking route to both CW DLR and Jubilee Line stations will be
reasonably short (via the collonade of trees, bottom right), but the only
route that doesn't require crossing roads is to West India Quay.

Can it be a colonnade if it's trees? I'm sure there's a word for this -
i've looked it up and found 'allee', but that's not what i was thinking of.

Avenue?

It is, isn't it? That word had drifted through my mind, but for some
reason i ignored it. Avenue!

tom

--
Science runs with us, making us Gods.