Old May 19th 09, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default Photography diplomatic incident

On May 18, 6:09*pm, 1506 wrote:

Let me be clear that obtrusively photographing someone else’s child is
entirely unacceptable. *It is a sad day when the courts have to deal
with a matter this trivial. *The photographer should have known
better.

In the wider context, photography in the streets has been acceptable
for decades. *Indeed it is a normal activity for tourists. I dislike
the notion that somehow that has ceased to be the case.

Does anyone know the facts of this case? It seems highly unlikely
that a straightforward photo of the child would result in a court
appearance even if the parents did get upset.

I have no knowledge of this case but, for example, if a photographer
lowered his camera to obtain a shot up the childs skirt, would that
affect the situation. I think so, others may differ.

George
Old May 19th 09, 11:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
MB MB is offline

"furnessvale" wrote in message
On May 18, 6:09 pm, 1506 wrote:

Let me be clear that obtrusively photographing someone else’s child is
entirely unacceptable. It is a sad day when the courts have to deal
with a matter this trivial. The photographer should have known
better.

In the wider context, photography in the streets has been acceptable
for decades. Indeed it is a normal activity for tourists. I dislike
the notion that somehow that has ceased to be the case.

Does anyone know the facts of this case? It seems highly unlikely
that a straightforward photo of the child would result in a court
appearance even if the parents did get upset.

I have no knowledge of this case but, for example, if a photographer
lowered his camera to obtain a shot up the childs skirt, would that
affect the situation. I think so, others may differ.

George

-------------------------------------

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_282766.html

MB

Old May 19th 09, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
MB MB is offline

. net...

On May 18, 6:09 pm, 1506 wrote:

[...]

This is a very strange reply to the question

"Asked whether police confiscated the photographer's camera, the BTP
spokesman told us: 'As is standard police procedure, items would have been
removed from him prior to him being placed into a cell. They would have
been securely stored and then returned to him.' "

You would think a simple "Yes" or "No" would be sufficient.

MB

Old May 19th 09, 11:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

In message t
"MB" wrote:

. net...

On May 18, 6:09 pm, 1506 wrote:

[...]

Neither would be aacurate, his camera wasn't confiscated but to say No would
be misleading as it was taken away from him, along with his other possesions.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old May 19th 09, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

MB wrote on Tue, 19 May 2009 12:19:36 +0100:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/

Photographers_Tube_photo_case_thrown_out_update_ne ws_282766.html

At least he wasn't "attacked by bandits with machetes"!

--
Alex
(imagining people keeping their .sigs to four lines)

Old May 20th 09, 12:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

In uk.transport.london Alex Potter wrote:
At least he wasn't "attacked by bandits with machetes"!

The Jubilee Line isn't /that/ bad! ;-)

Theo