Old May 18th 09, 09:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default "'Euston Arch' stones to be saved"

Richard J. wrote:
RPM wrote on 18 May 2009 19:37:11 ...
On May 18, 6:41 pm, Ian Jelf wrote:
In message , Richard J.
writes

That said, I would think long and hard about a "rebuild", especially
given the dramatic changes in layout at Euston since then. It could go
somewhere else, I suppose. After all, Temple Bar was brought "back" to
a completely different location but looks (and functions) very well
there.

Now where might the Arch (sorry, "Propylaeum") go?

It has never been suggested it should be rebuilt in its original
location. That would mean placing it roughly where the gateline is for
the London Midland/London Overground platforms. Instead it is proposed
to re-site it between the existing lodges on Euston Road, something
that should have been done in 1962 IMHO.

The pediment (top triangle) is OK, but the rest is a mish-mash.
Pretentious and not very beautiful in my view.
Oh well, we all differ.

Indeed, and it is the the importance of the arch in *railway*
architecture rather than architecture in general that merits its
restoration.

What importance? As far as I can see it had no effect at all on
subsequent railway architecture, where more effort and expense was put
into the station itself (such as at King's Cross and Paddington) than on
some great marketing promotion outside. At Euston, the arch was there
from the start in 1837, but it took another 20 years or more before more
than one arrival platform was provided.

The arch has probably had an important role in _other_ railway (and
non-railway) architecture having survived - St Pancras, perhaps.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old May 18th 09, 09:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On May 18, 6:30 pm, CJB wrote:

Historian Don Cruikshank was in the water as a crane lifted some
stones out of the - appropriately named - Prescott Channel to deepen
the water for Olympic barges.

Why "appropriately named"?

'CJB' has just had one of those 2 + 2 = 5 moments, I think. The channel was
named after Sir William Prescott of the Lee Conservancy, when built in the
30s...

Thankfully the expensive new lock has been named 'Three Mills Lock' to avoid
even more mistaken references to another Prescott...

Paul S

Old May 18th 09, 10:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote:
Mizter T wrote:
On May 18, 6:30 pm, CJB wrote:

Historian Don Cruikshank was in the water as a crane lifted some
stones out of the - appropriately named - Prescott Channel to deepen
the water for Olympic barges.

Why "appropriately named"?

'CJB' has just had one of those 2 + 2 = 5 moments, I think. The channel was
named after Sir William Prescott of the Lee Conservancy, when built in the
30s...

I must admit I wondered if it was a reference to filling the substantial
void between John Prescott's ears ...

Thankfully the expensive new lock has been named 'Three Mills Lock' to avoid
even more mistaken references to another Prescott...

That would be "Three Jags Lock", then.

;-)
Old May 19th 09, 08:19 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

CJB wrote:

Historian Don Cruikshank was in the water ...

His name's Dan Cruikshank, just for accuracy.

Charlie
Old May 19th 09, 09:44 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 18 May, 19:37, RPM wrote:
On May 18, 6:41*pm, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Richard J.
writes

That said, I would think long and hard about a "rebuild", especially
given the dramatic changes in layout at Euston since then. * It could go
somewhere else, I suppose. * After all, Temple Bar was brought "back" to
a completely different location but looks (and functions) very well
there.

Now where might the Arch (sorry, "Propylaeum") go?

It has never been suggested it should be rebuilt in its original
location. That would mean placing it roughly where the gateline is for
the London Midland/London Overground platforms. Instead it is proposed
to re-site it between the existing *lodges on Euston Road, something
that should have been done in 1962 IMHO.

Would be interested to see where if they could drive a bendy bus
through it in that spot into/out of the bus station. Although, if
Boris gets his way, I suppose it would only be a large double-decker
instead.

Old May 20th 09, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:08:30PM +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:

The arch has probably had an important role in _other_ railway (and
non-railway) architecture having survived - St Pancras, perhaps.

But the *Euston* arch, and the specific form of that arch, had no
important role.

When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life
-- Samuel Johnson