Old October 12th 03, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bikes on Thameslink

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 06:47:26 -0400, Roland Perry wrote:
Access at KX-TL is a nightmare, though. Assuming the OP is arriving at KX
mainline by WAGN, it's a long walk on narrow pavements and very busy
roads, congested station entrance, then two flights of stairs down to the
platform (no lift or escalator).

Indeed, When I went from Padington to Stansted, national rail
enquireies told me to go via farringdon which is an easier change

Old October 12th 03, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Paul Weaver
writes
When I went from Padington to Stansted, national rail
enquireies told me to go via farringdon which is an easier change

I'm struggling to understand how either Kings Cross Thameslink, or
Farringdon, is on the way from Paddington to Stansted.
--
"now, the thing you type on and the window you stare out of are the same thing"

Old October 13th 03, 08:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Dave Newt
writes
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

(Huge)typed

AFAIK, bicycles are not allowed on the Circle Line.

Oh yes they are! Bicycles are not allowed on the _underground_ sections
of 'deep tube' lines (Northern, Central, Piccadilly, Victoria, Jubilee &
Bakerloo) at any time but are allowed off-peak on the Metropolitan,
Hammersmith & City, District and the Circle line. They are allowed on
the overground sections of tube lines off-peak.

Detailed list he

http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/faq/bicycle.asp

I've never understood the specific ban on bicycles on the Northern Line
between Colindale and Hendon Central, (obliquely) referred to on the
above site.

Anyone know the reason?
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for
Old October 13th 03, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:
I've never understood the specific ban on bicycles on the Northern Line
between Colindale and Hendon Central, (obliquely) referred to on the
above site.

Anyone know the reason?

Presumably because the line is in a tube tunnel between these stations?

Matt

Old October 13th 03, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf typed

In article , Dave Newt
writes
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

(Huge)typed

AFAIK, bicycles are not allowed on the Circle Line.

Oh yes they are! Bicycles are not allowed on the _underground_ sections
of 'deep tube' lines (Northern, Central, Piccadilly, Victoria, Jubilee &
Bakerloo) at any time but are allowed off-peak on the Metropolitan,
Hammersmith & City, District and the Circle line. They are allowed on
the overground sections of tube lines off-peak.

Detailed list he

http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/faq/bicycle.asp

I've never understood the specific ban on bicycles on the Northern Line
between Colindale and Hendon Central, (obliquely) referred to on the
above site.

Anyone know the reason?

A tunnel, stating about 100m north of Hendon Central station. Bikes are
banned in tunnels, innit?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old October 17th 03, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
"Jeremy Parker" wrote:

"James Bentall" wrote in message
Does anyone know if it is permitted to take bikes on the Thameslink
service offpeak between Kings Cross Thameslink and London Bridge?

It is, but watch for Thameslink being closed down on weekends between
Kentish Town and Blackfriars until mid Dec. The new timetable
doesn't even go beyond Dec. owing to much engineering work for Kings
X, Thameslink 2000, etc.

Actually, I don't think it would be too bad getting the 12 year olds
to cycle. Easier than taking them on the Circle Line, I would think

Not convinced by that! I've done too much cycling across central London
and had too many near misses to even think about taking children cycling
there- particularly getting across the river.

Thanks for the info about the weekend closures though - that will be
useful to remember.

Cheers,

James

Institutionalised law-breaking using bikes - anarchy is near at hand Silas Denyer London Transport 183 November 19th 10 10:53 AM
Old cars or bikes wtd for Primrose Hill Summer Festival, Saturday 25th June 2005 [email protected] London Transport 1 April 26th 05 02:53 PM
MP promotes bikes and trains JWBA68 London Transport 2 November 2nd 04 09:15 PM
If bikes were licensed, where would the plate go, and how big? Usenet London Transport 23 October 24th 04 07:17 PM
Bikes on DLR Robin May London Transport 6 December 28th 03 10:37 PM