Old June 12th 09, 11:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Default There should be litter bins on the underground

On 12 June, 18:42, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Dr. Sunil" wrote

Is it just me, or are free newspapers a litter nuisance?

It's not just you, and it costs LUL and the TOCs a fortune to dispose of
them.

Peter

In the light of the silly billboards appearing all over the place,
someone should tell the Metro that printing it is littering; leaving
it on the train for someone else to read is recycling. But maybe that
wouldn't help their circulation figures, which depend on maximum
littering.

Old June 13th 09, 12:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Jun 13, 12:35*am, MIG wrote:
Is it just me, or are free newspapers a litter nuisance?

It's not just you, and it costs LUL and the TOCs a fortune to dispose of
them.

In the light of the silly billboards appearing all over the place,
someone should tell the Metro that printing it is littering; leaving
it on the train for someone else to read is recycling. *But maybe that
wouldn't help their circulation figures, which depend on maximum
littering.

Hmm. From my perspective, I find it deeply annoying if I'm heading
into town on a weekday mid-morning that over-enthusiastic LUL cleaners
have binned all the Metros - surely it'd be better to leave them out
for bored passengers, at least until the evening freebies turn up...

(also, IIRC the morning free newspapers involve a hefty cash payment
to LUL, bus operators and TOCs - the afternoon ones aren't given out
on rail premises so don't).

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old June 13th 09, 07:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Peter Masson wrote:

"Dr. Sunil" wrote

Is it just me, or are free newspapers a litter nuisance?

It's not just you, and it costs LUL and the TOCs a fortune to dispose of
them.

Presumably this is allowed for in the fee Metro pays to be able to
distribute at stations?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old June 16th 09, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 04:28:10PM -0700, Mizter T wrote:

The significant incident was an IRA bomb left in a litter bin on the
concourse of Victoria station in 1991 that killed a man and injured 38
others....

If I wanted to bomb a station, I'd put the bomb in some luggage and
leave it somewhere like in the station pub, on a short timer. No more
than five minutes, which is enough time for me to get away.

People leave their luggage by their table and head off to the bog or
something all the time. And of course it's not "unattended luggage" if
you've asked someone at the next table over to keep an eye on it for
you.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

"IMO, the primary historical significance of Unix is that it marks the
time in computer history where CPUs became so cheap that it was possible
to build an operating system without adult supervision."
-- Russ Holsclaw in a.f.c
Old May 2nd 11, 01:19 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizter T View Post
On Jun 10, 6:44*pm, "Tim Fenton" wrote:

"1506" wrote:

When I first utilized the London Underground in the 1960s, dark blue
litterbins were commonplace. *As the IRA terror campaign came to
London, they were removed. *Lockers at mainline stations where also
removed.

Unattended lockers were certainly removed. But the first phase of the
Jubilee Line featured station litter bins, and that wasn't until 1979.

IIRC the same sized litterbins started to re-appear the 1980s. *At
that time they were painted orange. *My best guess is that they have
again been removed. *This time due to the evil of islamic terrorism.

Yawn. The litter bins were removed during the 80s after Seamus
O'Timing-Device and his pals used them to hide bombs. This pre-dates any
activity in the capital by the followers of Lardy Binman.

Afraid to say I don't think that's quite right, though off hand I
can't remember the potted history of litter bins on the public
transport system in London. However, I think that to an extent some
litter binds made come backs in the 90's, post IRA ceasefires, before
being removed again more recently. It could possibly even be a rather
more complicated story than that, with bins initially only being
removed from some stations, and perhaps returning to some before they
returned to others, before later being withdrawn again.

The clear plastic bin bag in a hoop is I think a more recent
'innovation'.

The significant incident was an IRA bomb left in a litter bin on the
concourse of Victoria station in 1991 that killed a man and injured 38
others. There was also a bomb at London Bridge station in 1992 that
injured 29 people, though I don't know where it was placed.

There were many other IRA bomb attacks on public transport in London,
the memory of many of which has since been largely forgotten in the
collective memory - but please do note that I'm not saying litter bins
were necessarily involved in them, I'm just sifting through some of
the lesser leafed pages of history. Of course the IRA's general modus
operandi was to call in a warning

Here's an Independent report of two bomb attacks on one day in
February 1993 - one on a Victoria to Ramsgate train which was stopped
at Kent House and evacuated, shortly after which the bomb blew up -
then later in the day there was a bomb at South Ken Underground
station, again after a warning and evacuation:
http://tinyurl.com/IRA-bombs-Independent-Feb-1993

There were also bombs at Clapham Jn station in 1991, and Hampstead
Tube station in 1992, amongst others.

It's not just the early 90's - on 8 September 1973 there was a bomb at
Victoria station, then a couple of days later (on 10 September) two
bombs exploded at KX and Euston Underground stations, which injured 21
people - though the two car bombs that exploded earlier in March of
that year managed to injure around 180 people, whilst two other car
bombs were defused.

And back in February 1940, an IRA bomb exploded in Euston station.

Some of the above information has been sourced from the Museum of
London's website he
http://tinyurl.com/Museum-of-London-IRA-bombings
all of us should understand our responsibility...