Old June 10th 09, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default There should be litter bins on the underground

There are enough outlets selling take-away food on the underground and, at
times, I have to eat as I use the tube to travel between appointments. No,
I'm not going to carry around food wrapping with me all day so I have to
find somewhere to discretely drop it. I never leave it on train seats. Now,
with swine flu, we are told to bin our tissues. Where? So they get left on
seats. I am not responsible for this but many people are. I know that
sometime in the past a bomb was planted in a litter bin. As a knee-jerk
reaction all the bins were removed. Now there is a greater hazard of injury
by slipping on discarded litter than there is of being a victim to terrorist
activity. And, possibly, vermin infestation is a consequence of the litter
bin removal. At some stations they use clear bags, which seems to be the
obvious answer. A terrorist could as easily plant a bomb in a bin in Oxford
Street and, unlike the underground stations, Oxford Street stores don't
close when they receive a bomb warning, instead there is a discrete message
to alert staff. So, bring back the bins on the underground. Not having them
there is a serious health risk.

Old June 10th 09, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

pg123 wrote:
[...]

They have hoops with clear garbage bags suspended from them in some
places. Not nearly enough. I was surprised to see them.
Old June 10th 09, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"redcat" wrote in message
pg123 wrote:
[...]

I wonder if they're only fitted on above-ground platforms, where the
bomb threat is much less?

Old June 10th 09, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:40:11 +0100
"Recliner" wrote:
They have hoops with clear garbage bags suspended from them in some
places. Not nearly enough. I was surprised to see them.

I wonder if they're only fitted on above-ground platforms, where the
bomb threat is much less?

Because as we saw on 7/7, rubbish bins on the platforms were a vital part
of the terrorists plans... oh , wait...

B2003

Old June 10th 09, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
"redcat" wrote in message
pg123 wrote:
They have hoops with clear garbage bags suspended from them in some
places. Not nearly enough. I was surprised to see them.

I wonder if they're only fitted on above-ground platforms, where the
bomb threat is much less?

IIRC, I saw one at an above-ground Circle-District platform, and another
at turnstile level (so a few steps down from the street) I forget
where. I noticed them, with relief, because I was carrying a pocketful
of used tissues!

Old June 10th 09, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Jun 10, 2:54*am, "pg123" wrote:
[...]

When I first utilized the London Underground in the 1960s, dark blue
litterbins were commonplace. As the IRA terror campaign came to
London, they were removed. Lockers at mainline stations where also
removed.

IIRC the same sized litterbins started to re-appear the 1980s. At
that time they were painted orange. My best guess is that they have
again been removed. This time due to the evil of islamic terrorism.
Do not expect them to return any time soon, if ever.

Old June 10th 09, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"Tim Fenton" wrote in message

"1506" wrote in message
There are enough outlets selling take-away food on the underground
and, at
times, I have to eat as I use the tube to travel between
appointments. No,
I'm not going to carry around food wrapping with me all day so I
have to
find somewhere to discretely drop it.

I'm not sure where you can buy take-away food *on the underground* -
which to me means beyond the barrier line at any given station. And
you don't have to carry the wrapping around with you "all day"; merely
to the next time you get off the train and out of the station.

There are quite a few kiosks on platforms selling crisps/drinks etc.
Liverpool Street (Circle) and Bank (W&C) are two that spring to mind.

Peter Smyth

Old June 10th 09, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"Tim Fenton" wrote in message

"1506" wrote in message
There are enough outlets selling take-away food on the underground
and, at
times, I have to eat as I use the tube to travel between
appointments. No,
I'm not going to carry around food wrapping with me all day so I
have to
find somewhere to discretely drop it.

I'm not sure where you can buy take-away food *on the underground* -
which to me means beyond the barrier line at any given station. And
you don't have to carry the wrapping around with you "all day"; merely
to the next time you get off the train and out of the station.

Not really. When in London last month I was suffering from a very heavy
allergic reaction to whatever was blowing in the wind. I ended up
carrying wads of used tissues around because it was very hard to find a
bin anywhere.
Old June 10th 09, 07:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Tim Fenton wrote:

I'm not sure where you can buy take-away food *on the underground* - which
to me means beyond the barrier line at any given station. And you don't
have to carry the wrapping around with you "all day"; merely to the next
time you get off the train and out of the station.

There's a bakery outlet on the Aldgate bound platform of the Circle at
Liverpool Street for one.

Old June 10th 09, 11:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Jun 10, 6:44*pm, "Tim Fenton" wrote:

"1506" wrote:

When I first utilized the London Underground in the 1960s, dark blue
litterbins were commonplace. *As the IRA terror campaign came to
London, they were removed. *Lockers at mainline stations where also
removed.

Unattended lockers were certainly removed. But the first phase of the
Jubilee Line featured station litter bins, and that wasn't until 1979.

IIRC the same sized litterbins started to re-appear the 1980s. *At
that time they were painted orange. *My best guess is that they have
again been removed. *This time due to the evil of islamic terrorism.

Yawn. The litter bins were removed during the 80s after Seamus
O'Timing-Device and his pals used them to hide bombs. This pre-dates any
activity in the capital by the followers of Lardy Binman.

Afraid to say I don't think that's quite right, though off hand I
can't remember the potted history of litter bins on the public
transport system in London. However, I think that to an extent some
litter binds made come backs in the 90's, post IRA ceasefires, before
being removed again more recently. It could possibly even be a rather
more complicated story than that, with bins initially only being
removed from some stations, and perhaps returning to some before they
returned to others, before later being withdrawn again.

The clear plastic bin bag in a hoop is I think a more recent
'innovation'.

The significant incident was an IRA bomb left in a litter bin on the
concourse of Victoria station in 1991 that killed a man and injured 38
others. There was also a bomb at London Bridge station in 1992 that
injured 29 people, though I don't know where it was placed.

There were many other IRA bomb attacks on public transport in London,
the memory of many of which has since been largely forgotten in the
collective memory - but please do note that I'm not saying litter bins
were necessarily involved in them, I'm just sifting through some of
the lesser leafed pages of history. Of course the IRA's general modus
operandi was to call in a warning

Here's an Independent report of two bomb attacks on one day in
February 1993 - one on a Victoria to Ramsgate train which was stopped
at Kent House and evacuated, shortly after which the bomb blew up -
then later in the day there was a bomb at South Ken Underground
station, again after a warning and evacuation:
http://tinyurl.com/IRA-bombs-Independent-Feb-1993

There were also bombs at Clapham Jn station in 1991, and Hampstead
Tube station in 1992, amongst others.

It's not just the early 90's - on 8 September 1973 there was a bomb at
Victoria station, then a couple of days later (on 10 September) two
bombs exploded at KX and Euston Underground stations, which injured 21
people - though the two car bombs that exploded earlier in March of
that year managed to injure around 180 people, whilst two other car
bombs were defused.

And back in February 1940, an IRA bomb exploded in Euston station.

Some of the above information has been sourced from the Museum of
London's website he
http://tinyurl.com/Museum-of-London-IRA-bombings