Old June 10th 09, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default There should be litter bins on the underground

There are enough outlets selling take-away food on the underground and, at
times, I have to eat as I use the tube to travel between appointments. No,
I'm not going to carry around food wrapping with me all day so I have to
find somewhere to discretely drop it. I never leave it on train seats. Now,
with swine flu, we are told to bin our tissues. Where? So they get left on
seats. I am not responsible for this but many people are. I know that
sometime in the past a bomb was planted in a litter bin. As a knee-jerk
reaction all the bins were removed. Now there is a greater hazard of injury
by slipping on discarded litter than there is of being a victim to terrorist
activity. And, possibly, vermin infestation is a consequence of the litter
bin removal. At some stations they use clear bags, which seems to be the
obvious answer. A terrorist could as easily plant a bomb in a bin in Oxford
Street and, unlike the underground stations, Oxford Street stores don't
close when they receive a bomb warning, instead there is a discrete message
to alert staff. So, bring back the bins on the underground. Not having them
there is a serious health risk.

Old June 10th 09, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

pg123 wrote:
[...]

They have hoops with clear garbage bags suspended from them in some
places. Not nearly enough. I was surprised to see them.
Old June 10th 09, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"redcat" wrote in message
pg123 wrote:
[...]

I wonder if they're only fitted on above-ground platforms, where the
bomb threat is much less?

Old June 10th 09, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:40:11 +0100
"Recliner" wrote:
They have hoops with clear garbage bags suspended from them in some
places. Not nearly enough. I was surprised to see them.

I wonder if they're only fitted on above-ground platforms, where the
bomb threat is much less?

Because as we saw on 7/7, rubbish bins on the platforms were a vital part
of the terrorists plans... oh , wait...

B2003

Old June 10th 09, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
"redcat" wrote in message
pg123 wrote:
They have hoops with clear garbage bags suspended from them in some
places. Not nearly enough. I was surprised to see them.

I wonder if they're only fitted on above-ground platforms, where the
bomb threat is much less?

IIRC, I saw one at an above-ground Circle-District platform, and another
at turnstile level (so a few steps down from the street) I forget
where. I noticed them, with relief, because I was carrying a pocketful
of used tissues!

Old June 10th 09, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Jun 10, 2:54*am, "pg123" wrote:
[...]

When I first utilized the London Underground in the 1960s, dark blue
litterbins were commonplace. As the IRA terror campaign came to
London, they were removed. Lockers at mainline stations where also
removed.

IIRC the same sized litterbins started to re-appear the 1980s. At
that time they were painted orange. My best guess is that they have
again been removed. This time due to the evil of islamic terrorism.
Do not expect them to return any time soon, if ever.

Old June 11th 09, 12:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

1506 writes:
IIRC the same sized litterbins started to re-appear the 1980s. At
that time they were painted orange. My best guess is that they have
again been removed. This time due to the evil of islamic terrorism.
Do not expect them to return any time soon, if ever.

Same stupidity on some train-lines here in Tokyo. Apparently not in
reaction to any event of domestic terrorism (the only thing I know about
is the 1995 subway gassings), but rather in a silly post-9/11
"OMGthey'reeverywhere!" spate of pointless and annoying flailing about.

Very annoying when you've bought a snack at the start of an hour-long
train ride.

Meanwhile, _other_ lines in the same city have plenty of trash
receptacles...

[Other reactions included heavily equipped policeman standing on boxes
in train stations from which they could scan the crowds, to no apparent
end; the policeman have gone of course, but the trash bins don't seem to
have come back... guess which one costs money, and which one saves
costs.]

-Miles

--
Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature
of the Unknowable.
Old June 11th 09, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message , Wed,
10 Jun 2009 10:54:43, pg123 posted:

There are enough outlets selling take-away food on the underground and,
at times, I have to eat as I use the tube to travel between
appointments. No, I'm not going to carry around food wrapping with me
all day so I have to find somewhere to discretely drop it.

To avoid carrying it round all day, you need to dispose of it
discretely; but in order not to be an obvious nuisance, you also need to
dispose of it discreetly.

Smallish plastic bags are cheaply enough available. Start off with a
sufficient supply, put your rubbish in one as you eat, then tie it off
and for safety tie it off in another. If you do not see a bin between
the tube and your next appointment, ask the receptionist how the bag can
conveniently be disposed of.

But eating on public transport is unladylike, so perhaps you will not be
seeing the better sort of receptionist.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.