Old July 7th 09, 10:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Unveiling of memorial to 7th July 2005 bombing victims

A memorial was unveiled today in Hyde Park to the 52 victims of the
bombings in the summer of 2005. It appears to have been a very apt
event - there's more in this BBC News online piece, with a short
accompanying video:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8137265.stm

The 'at the scene' report from Peter Hunt, the BBC's royal
correspondent is good:
---quote---
"When the bombers struck", one of the bereaved told me, "they took
away my today and my tomorrow." Four years on, the emotions are still
raw, but mixed with the pain is a sense of pride that a national
memorial now exists.

What was very striking about this simple, sombre service was the sheer
number of relatives gathered in front of the 52 stainless steel
pillars. Hundreds of lives have been affected directly by the attacks.
Their loved ones were of all ages, both sexes and many races.

After Prince Charles had delivered a powerful and personal address,
the relatives, in the pouring rain, moved forward and placed flowers
beside the memorial. I saw a boy in shorts and a baseball cap next to
an elderly woman in a wheelchair. They all brought roses. A red one
symbolising love, a white rose for peace.
---/quote---

In addition, this short piece from Radio 4's World At One is worth a
listen:
http://www.mcqn.net/projects/RealCli...tor/ajFro4.ram