Old October 22nd 03, 11:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Concorde! on BBC2 now

Richard J. wrote:

And it's the least safe commercial airliner currently flying, in terms of
fatalities per million passenger miles.

Your valid points are let down by this one.

After all, one minute it was the safest airliner by your measure, and
the next it was the least safe.

Both claims would be suspect.

Old October 23rd 03, 12:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message

I shall be looking out for the three Concordes on Friday afternoon like
thousands of others, but I also think that it was a sensible decision to
retire them this year.

Well from me it's grateful thanks to the ATCs for a wonderful piece of
'engineering' last evening, by bringing in one Concorde flight on runway 09L
and the other on runway 09R, in parallel with each other! The first time
(and now the last) that I've ever seen a brace of Concordes arriving at
Heathrow. A truly magical sight. Just a shame that the light was fading so
badly by the time they both arrived.

Old October 23rd 03, 01:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"CMOT TMPV" wrote in message
t...

Would have loved to see that. My experience on Concorde just isn't one

I'll
ever forget. I've never had the opportunity to watch her take off from
outside the plane, though I did witness her land at MIA a number of times
but that isn't as exciting, of course.

I am unspeakably sad I didn't win the auction for the last two seats on

the
last flight. The other bloke had way more money than me :/

I've still got a lump in my throat after last night! Alpha Golf passed
overhead just west of Heathrow in a south to north direction before turning
west to meet up with Alpha Delta, on the incoming BA002. The formation
landing was accompanied by much flashing of the landing lights by both
crews, Alpha Delta bringing BA002 in from NY on the south runway (09R) and
Alpha Golf bringing BA9021 in from Manchester on the north runway (09L).
Utterly awesome!

Old October 23rd 03, 02:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Once upon a time -- around about 10/22/03 21:33 --
possibly wrote:

"CMOT TMPV" wrote in message
[...]

If anyone is interested I have a number of Concorde pages about my personal
experiences

www.darsys.com/concorde.html -- tribute site
www.darsys.com/cweb/index.htm --- my trip log and photos
www.darsys.com/concorde2.html -- story of my attempt to get the last two
tickets mentioned above (with screen shots of private ebay auction)

--
Canada Post doesn't really charge 32 cents for a stamp. It's 2 cents for
postage and 30 cents for storage. -- Gerald Regan

Old October 23rd 03, 09:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message

And it's the least safe commercial airliner currently flying,
in terms of fatalities per million passenger miles.

Wrong: its only crash was caused by a problem which has been fixed, so "new
Concorde" is safer than any other plane.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 23rd 03, 01:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Jack Taylor wrote:
The first time (and now the last) that I've ever seen
a brace of Concordes arriving at Heathrow. A truly
magical sight.

For me the sight never to be forgotten was Concorde flying
in formation with the Red Arrows for the Heathrow 50th
anniversary flypast. That was a tears in the eyes sight,
though a quick Google shows it wasn't unique:

http://www.concordesst.com/history/reds/reds.html

--
Tony Bryer

Old October 23rd 03, 01:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote in message ...
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:17:18 +0000, Richard J. wrote:
probably because there doesn't seem to be an ongoing demand from passengers.

Many frequent flyers died on September 11th

Basically, Concorde is an outstandingly beautiful plane and an amazing
phenomenon, but as a commercial aircraft it is a disaster. It was

Hence it should be kept for diplomatic missions

I agree it would be great to see Concorde continuing to fly the UK
representatives to all the trade fairs, conferences (not the
environmental ones though!), summits, Olympics, Royal occasions etc.
If only BA or Virgin or Airbus or a museum (or all of them) could
agree sponsorship of the maintenance costs. But to throw more public
money at it now, for largely sentimental reasons, would be daft.