Old July 29th 09, 08:00 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Stations named after commercial entities

Tom Anderson wrote in
rth.li:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, James Farrar wrote:

Either that or they're being poncey, like the original operators of the
"San Francisco Shopping Centre", which maintains its erratic spelling
under its current operators: http://westfield.com/sanfrancisco/

Yes, weird spelling - what's wrong with 'St Francis Shopping Centre', eh?

*lol*

Old July 29th 09, 08:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at
08:00:25 on Wed, 29 Jul 2009, James Farrar
remarked:
Yes, weird spelling - what's wrong with 'St Francis Shopping Centre', eh?

In the USA it would normally be "Center".

*whoosh*

You've got me there. With a choice of four words that might be spelt
weird, which of the other three would you nominate?
Old July 29th 09, 09:06 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote in
:

In message , at
08:00:25 on Wed, 29 Jul 2009, James Farrar
remarked:
Yes, weird spelling - what's wrong with 'St Francis Shopping
Centre', eh?

In the USA it would normally be "Center".

*whoosh*

You've got me there. With a choice of four words that might be spelt
weird, which of the other three would you nominate?

What appears to have escaped you is that Tom didn't need that explaining.
Old July 29th 09, 02:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Roland Perry wrote:

In message . li, at 17:21:26
on Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Tom Anderson remarked:
Yes, weird spelling - what's wrong with 'St Francis Shopping Centre', eh?

In the USA it would normally be "Center".

Yes, i know. In the UK, my comment would normally be a 'joke'.

tom

--
uk.local groups TO BE RENAMED uk.lunatic.fringe groups
Old July 29th 09, 02:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Roland Perry wrote:

In message . li, at
17:21:26 on Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Tom Anderson
remarked:
Yes, weird spelling - what's wrong with 'St Francis Shopping
Centre', eh?

In the USA it would normally be "Center".

Yes, i know. In the UK, my comment would normally be a 'joke'.

A rather good joke IMO!

Old July 29th 09, 04:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at
08:00:25 on Wed, 29 Jul 2009, James Farrar
remarked:
Yes, weird spelling - what's wrong with 'St Francis Shopping Centre', eh?

In the USA it would normally be "Center".

*whoosh*

You've got me there. With a choice of four words that might be spelt
weird, which of the other three would you nominate?

A: The first two. (Since it seems you haven't noticed.)

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9633009.html
(45 056 at Eastleigh, Apr 1985)
Old July 29th 09, 04:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Roland Perry wrote:

In message . li, at 17:21:26
on Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Tom Anderson remarked:
Yes, weird spelling - what's wrong with 'St Francis Shopping Centre', eh?

In the USA it would normally be "Center".

Yes, i know. In the UK, my comment would normally be a 'joke'.

Reminds me of the one about the bloke stealing wheelbarrows. ;-)

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9633063.html
(50 009 at Exeter St Davids, 1985)
Old July 29th 09, 05:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:24:48 on
Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Chris Tolley remarked:
Yes, weird spelling - what's wrong with 'St Francis Shopping Centre', eh?

In the USA it would normally be "Center".

*whoosh*

You've got me there. With a choice of four words that might be spelt
weird, which of the other three would you nominate?

A: The first two. (Since it seems you haven't noticed.)

I have no sensible comment to make, given that various people now assure
me it was a joke in the first place.
Old July 30th 09, 10:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 17:24:48 on
Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Chris Tolley remarked:
Yes, weird spelling - what's wrong with 'St Francis Shopping Centre', eh?

In the USA it would normally be "Center".

*whoosh*

You've got me there. With a choice of four words that might be spelt
weird, which of the other three would you nominate?

A: The first two. (Since it seems you haven't noticed.)

I have no sensible comment to make, given that various people now assure
me it was a joke in the first place.

Oh dear. Let's try to explain.

The first comment was that, because of the spelling, it was "poncey" to
say "San Francisco Shopping Centre" (presumably because Americans don't
spell "center" that way.)

The second comment was jokily to agree, correcting the spelling, to say
"St Francis Shopping Centre" (because that's how Brits (and Americans,
when speaking English) spell "San Francisco")

Is that any clearer?

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683700.html
(51411 (Class 117) at Ludlow, 11 Jun 1985)
Old August 10th 09, 08:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

It's a sign of the times look at your local football jerseys eg AIG
for Man U etc Stadiums Emirates Stadium for Arsenal CitiField for the
NY Mets etc. Its a Money Maker I can see you taikng the Bakerloo
from Weetabix Piccadilly Circus To Carling Waterloo maybe the line
will be the HSBC Bakerloo