Old October 22nd 03, 02:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Busses

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:17:26 -0700, Kat wrote:
Ok...
Can you give me an example; are they useful names to anyone who might not
know the area? I'm thinking of bus routes outside central London.

Irrelevant, when you look out of the window and see a stop sign, you
should be able to match it up with a map of the route, and a map of the
bus network

Personally I don't use the buses because they don't tell me where I am or
where I'm going to. Obviously a handy underground-style map is
near-impossible to print out in detail (although perhaps a small book
might work?), however some information about the route, the connecting
routes, and especially the underground/NR stations, would make a lot more
people use the buses IMHO

Times on the routes would be good too - time from each stop to the next
one like many underground stations. Obviously that's hard because of the
variable traffic situation, however banning cars from inside the M25 area
(free parking at key points outside the M25 to compensate), with
exceptions for exceptional circumstances like house movements, would solve
that. London has (should have) a good enough public transit to cope,
unlike most UK towns and cities.

Old October 22nd 03, 02:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

"Niklas Karlsson" wrote in message
In article , Kat wrote:

"John Rowland" wrote in message

Every bus stop has a name written on it.

Even request stops?

Even request stops.

--
Kat in Downtown Toronto

Old October 22nd 03, 02:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:46:00 +0100, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
Given that the derivation of "bus" is as an abbreviation of "omnibus", I
should b* well hope so.

Out of interest how to spelling-nazis spell the park named after St. James?

Old October 22nd 03, 02:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
If you go to http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/borough.shtml and
look at one of the spider maps, you will see all the stops in a
particular area. Where a bus route has a number of stops along the
same main road, a stop on the map such as "Leytonstone High Road /
Michael Road" would appear on the bus stop as just "Michael Road".

Are they useful to anyone who might not know the area? Yes, because
they identify the stop, and enable clear directions to be given to
visitors. Also, they are referred to on the TfL Journey Planner's
route details and maps, and the spider maps are posted at main bus
stops.

Thanks for the information but are you sure about the request stops?
I was looking at the routes of the 251 and 250 (from the Waltham
Cross maps) and there are some stops between Waltham Cross and
Upshire/Debden missing. The main stops are shown but not request
stops.

Those routes are in the white area of the map in which only main stops are
shown. All stops are shown in the yellow-shaded area, but that is rather
small on that particular map, because they only cover Greater London in that
level of detail. (Waltham Cross is in Hertfordshire.)
--
Richard J.

Old October 22nd 03, 02:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:46:00 +0100, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
Given that the derivation of "bus" is as an abbreviation of
"omnibus", I should b* well hope so.

Out of interest how to spelling-nazis spell the park named after St.
James?

Phrase that in a less offensive way and you might get an answer.
--
Richard J.

Old October 22nd 03, 07:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stop name was Busses

"John Rowland" wrote in
:

Every bus stop has a name written on it.

But it is not always the same as the name on the bus maps or front of
buses. And sometimes there are multiple stops with the same name.

For example I wanted to get off at the bus stop on 484 called "Pepys Eoad"
on a spider map. When I got there found it was called "Kitto Road".

The stop that has historically been called "Dulwich Plough" after the pub
that was long called the Plough is marked on bus stops as that. But as the
termination point of the 40 routes it is "Dulwich Library".
Old October 22nd 03, 08:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kat" typed

"John Rowland" wrote in message
Kat wrote...

I'm not so sure it would particularly easy on London bus
routes; there are many stops that wouldn't be easy to name.
Stops at well known places; stations, large shops, pubs
and cinemas for sure, but what about all the
stops in not very memorable places?

Every bus stop has a name written on it.

Even request stops?

They all have names, but many are meaningless, even to locals. Holyrood
Gardens makes some sort of sense. Oak Gardens does not. Oak Gardens is
the name of the stop on Stag Lane nearest to the crossroads at Burnt
Oak. It is a mandatory stop serving 3 routes and shown as such on the
spider maps. Shame people can't all read or speak English, let alone
know some trivial cul-de-sac near a relatively major intersection.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old October 22nd 03, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

"Richard J." wrote in message
Kat wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
[...]

Good, I'm glad to see they haven't redrawn the county boundaries during my
absence....

Nevertheless, it's damn-all use knowing the name of the request-stop if the
bus is going to sail by it before you have chance to read its name (even
supposing it's big enough to read from a moving bus.)
And, I don't suppose, in these days of flat rate fares, travel-cards and
OPO buses, that passengers ask the driver to tell them when they get to the
stop they want much anymore.
I'm partly in agreement (now) with whoever said that bus-stops should be
announced; I think it might be a Good Idea if the driver announced the names
of upcoming request-stops at least.

--
Kat in Downtown Toronto