Old October 23rd 03, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What's happened to the PEDs?

Robin May wrote:
I'm sure you love it when your train is delayed by a person throwing
themselves under it, or even slipping and falling under it by accident.

Unlikely they've made a blind bit of difference.

A) Anyone who wants to top themselves will just go to one of 200 odd other
stations to do it if thats the way they want to go.

B) The platforms on the extension are MUCH wider than in older tube stations
so platform crowding should never get to the point where someone falls off.
Ok someone might still get pushed but that happens what , once a year over
the whole system?

I won't talk about distress caused to the people who have to deal with
it afterwards because I can't imagine you caring about it beyond the
effect it has on you.

You're right , I couldn't give a rats arse about them. They chose that job,
if they don't like it the job centre always has vacancies for McDonalds.

Two sets of doors being broken for a day or two is hardly the end of
the world. I suppose that next time your car gets a flat tyre you'll
take it to the scrap heap.

If I'd paid a million quid for the tyre in the first place and it blew
after 3 years on the road in normal use I think i'd try and get my money back.

B2003

Old October 23rd 03, 09:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote the following in:

Robin May wrote:
I'm sure you love it when your train is delayed by a person
throwing themselves under it, or even slipping and falling under
it by accident.

Unlikely they've made a blind bit of difference.

A) Anyone who wants to top themselves will just go to one of 200
odd other stations to do it if thats the way they want to go.

Well there's at least one part of the tube where they can't do it,
which is a good thing in my opinion.

B) The platforms on the extension are MUCH wider than in older
tube stations so platform crowding should never get to the point
where someone falls off.

People often stand right by the platform anyway though. It doesn't
matter whether there's extra space, what matters is what people do with
it.

Ok someone might still get pushed but
that happens what , once a year over the whole system?

Yeah, that's the spirit. So someone dies. So what? Who cares? It's only
the odd person every now and then, nothing to worry about.

I won't talk about distress caused to the people who have to deal
with it afterwards because I can't imagine you caring about it
beyond the effect it has on you.

You're right , I couldn't give a rats arse about them. They chose
that job, if they don't like it the job centre always has
vacancies for McDonalds.

No, they didn't choose that job. They chose the job of driving a train.
They shouldn't have to deal with people throwing themselves in front of
it and if that can be avoided then it certainly should be.

Two sets of doors being broken for a day or two is hardly the end
of the world. I suppose that next time your car gets a flat tyre
you'll take it to the scrap heap.

If I'd paid a million quid for the tyre in the first place and it
blew after 3 years on the road in normal use I think i'd try and
get my money back.

So what are you trying to say? That mechanical systems should never
ever go wrong and that they're fundamentally flawed if anything ever
does go wrong, no matter how rarely and how little time it takes to
repair? Please come back to this subject once you have returned to the
real world.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.
Old October 24th 03, 12:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Why PEDs?

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:14:20 +0200, Ralf Hermanns wrote:

or if this DVDs commentary is just b...

DVD commentary of a tube train driving along a line?

Old October 24th 03, 07:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Ralf Hermanns
writes
What are the PED built for?
Obviously, they are a safety increase for the passengers on a crowded
platform - but in a movie of a "jubilee line drivers view" I saw, the
speaker said something about the ventilation systems of the trains. He
emphasized that the ventilation was the primary reason for building them,
and safety came just along with that.

You've slightly misunderstood, but only slightly.

The primary purpose was to improve the airflow in the stations. When you
consider that tube trains almost fill the tunnel (though less so on the
JLE, where the tunnels are wider), a significant portion of the train's
power goes to pushing air down the tunnels in front of it and pulling
air into the tunnel behind it. If this airflow can be improved there is
the potential for significant cost savings, even after the additional
costs of the door mechanisms.

The doors also provide additional safety for passengers on the platform.
But this is an additional benefit that comes free, rather than being the
purpose behind them.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old October 24th 03, 07:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:14:20 +0200, Ralf Hermanns wrote:

or if this DVDs commentary is just b...

DVD commentary of a tube train driving along a line?

http://www.video125.co.uk/acatalog/underground.html

I ordered one over here, they even shipped to Europe for only 2 pound. The
Video quality is good, but its 85 minutes of a train going through tunnels
most of the time - you have to be kind of addicted to the tube to like it...
Damn interesting nevertheless.

P.S. Please note I am not affiliated with or work for the company mentioned
above. I did not have the intention to spam advertisments for them.

--
Ralf (from Germany)
- flying to London next week for 3 days holiday in the city

Old October 24th 03, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote in message ...
Ok someone might still get pushed but
that happens what , once a year over the whole system?

Yeah, that's the spirit. So someone dies. So what? Who cares? It's only
the odd person every now and then, nothing to worry about.

Exactly. Life is full of risks. Perhaps we should de-electrify the whole
system too and use diesel or battery locos just so if someone gets pushed
on the track elsewhere they might have a better chance of survival?
Christ , they'll be fitting harnesses on escalators soon.

No, they didn't choose that job. They chose the job of driving a train.
They shouldn't have to deal with people throwing themselves in front of
it and if that can be avoided then it certainly should be.

So you're telling me drivers have no clue that people might jump or fall in
front of a train before they took the job on? Oh get real.

So what are you trying to say? That mechanical systems should never
ever go wrong and that they're fundamentally flawed if anything ever
does go wrong, no matter how rarely and how little time it takes to
repair? Please come back to this subject once you have returned to the
real world.

What I'm saying is for the money they cost they should last a bit longer
than 3 years before they start having faults so serious that the whole station
has to be closed for 2 days. And it might help if the Nannies in the HSE would
allow trains to stop with the platform doors fixed open but of course some
fragile little flower might have a 0.001% chance of falling on the track and
that would never do , no can't have that. Just make them get the bus or walk
along a busy road instead to the next station where they have a hundred times
greater chance of being hit by a car.

If they'd wanted to put the money to good use perhaps they should have started
by making the trains a bit stronger. The mess that the low speed (14mph it
was stated) crash on the northern line caused to that train carriage was
unbelievable , what was it made out of , cardboard? Since the jubilee trains
are structurally the same I would rather not be in one if it derailed at
high speed and hit something.

B2003
Old October 27th 03, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On 24 Oct 2003 01:33:33 -0700, (Boltar) wrote:

Robin May wrote in message ...
[...]

Which stations were closed for 2 days due to faulty PEDs?

Old October 28th 03, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On 28 Oct 2003 05:42:31 -0800, (Boltar) wrote:

Which stations were closed for 2 days due to faulty PEDs?

Bermondsey.

When was that?