Old October 26th 03, 08:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Closure of Liverpool Street this morning

In message , Peter Smyth
writes
That is because Clapham Junction and Watford Junction are both pick-up only
stops on some long distance routes. Therefore there is no point listing a
station that you cannot legally (in theory at least) get off at.

And a blind person thinking "I'm going to the first stop, which is
Surbiton". Gets out at Clapham. Very useful.

As for Foxton, these are the slow trains which get overtaken by faster trains
before reaching Cambridge and listing them as Cambridge trains may mean
Cambridge passengers would use them and have an unnecessarily long journey.

I said the misinformation was often justified. It's still
misinformation. What if you've arranged to meet a friend, who says he'll
join you on board the Cambridge train at Shepreth. A bit confusing, eh?

Old October 26th 03, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:54:51 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , Paul Weaver
writes
They suck because of commuters abusing long distance trains.

WAGN? Long distance?? They *are* the commuter trains.

Only because some people have weird fetishes and spend 4 hours a day
commuting. I count commuting as inside zone 6. Outside zone 6 you are long
distance.
Old October 27th 03, 03:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Weaver
writes
WAGN? Long distance?? They *are* the commuter trains.

Only because some people have weird fetishes and spend 4 hours a day
commuting. I count commuting as inside zone 6. Outside zone 6 you are long
distance.

WAGNs that stop at Finsbury Park are largely serving the commuter market
out to the edge of Hertfordshire - which is a 45 minute trip.
Old October 28th 03, 11:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
There is also deliberate misinformation at Kings
Cross regarding the destination of certain trains. They announce
"Foxton" when the train actually goes to Cambridge. In all cases they
appear to believe that the level of misinformation is justified in the
Great Scheme Of Things.

This is done for the benefit of clueless tourists heading for Cambridge
who would otherwise catch the xx.06 to Cambridge only to be overtaken by
the non-stop xx.15.

We know *why*, but it's still deliberate disinformation!

Unfortunately the same trick can't be done in the opposite direction.

Can't they announce that the stopper is for Finsbury Park?

Loads of Cambridge station staff are employed full time herding
tourists.

Yes, life would be so much easier for the railways if they didn't have
all those pesky customers.

Old October 28th 03, 01:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message
, Colin
Rosenstiel
There is also deliberate misinformation at Kings
Cross regarding the destination of certain trains. They announce
"Foxton" when the train actually goes to Cambridge. In all cases they
appear to believe that the level of misinformation is justified in
the Great Scheme Of Things.

This is done for the benefit of clueless tourists heading for Cambridge
who would otherwise catch the xx.06 to Cambridge only to be overtaken
by the non-stop xx.15.

We know *why*, but it's still deliberate disinformation!

Disinformation is a bit strong. Confusing yes. Maybe when they get screens
which give more information they will give the full explanation.

No so long ago they advertised the xx.06s as to Cambridge. They obviously
got so much confusion that they thought it better to revert to the
previous arrangement. I've certainly spoken to confused tourists at
Cambridge.

Unfortunately the same trick can't be done in the opposite direction.

Can't they announce that the stopper is for Finsbury Park?

Not so effective. You get to Finsbury Park quicker via the Cross using a
Travelcard, for example.

Loads of Cambridge station staff are employed full time herding
tourists.

Yes, life would be so much easier for the railways if they didn't have
all those pesky customers.

Better still if the information systems made things clearer. A "next fast
train to London" indication all over the station might be more effective
than a "next Cambridge Cruiser" only in the booking hall, for example.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 8th 03, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote in
:

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:43:47 +0100, "Nicholas F Hodder"
wrote:

[big snip]
How can the trains clear the backlog if they are going through the
station without stopping?

of course the trains were stopping. They just weren't letting anyone
*into* the station. That way the queue on the platform is
progressively cleared. The station was only closed for 6 minutes
according to the report that I read.

Having just come across this thread after being away from usenet for a
couple of weeks, I can say with 100% certainty that westbound Central
Line trains were *not* stopping at Liverpool Street that morning. I know
this, because I was on one of those trains.

At Bethnal Green the driver came on the PA to say that he apologised for
the short notice but he'd only just been informed that he wasn't to stop
at Liverpool Street due to overcrowding. When we got into Liverpool
Street station the train did come to a halt for about 30-45 seconds, but
the doors weren't opened. The platform was rather full, although not
ridiculously so, and passengers already on the train could quite clearly
hear the station's recorded announcement being repeated, telling
passengers to vacate the station immediately due to an emergency.

Despite this, most people were still standing on the platform, waiting
(in vain) for the doors of the train I was on to open. Dunno what would
have happened if there had been a real emergency.

Iain
--
"I go online sometimes but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's
depressing." --Tara, Buffy 5x15 "I Was Made To Love You"