Old August 12th 09, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Walk-through trains

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:35:45 -0700 (PDT), allanbonnetracy
wrote:

Yet, like so many, I continue to use my car because of the safety
implications of cycling on busy roads.

I suppose it is trite, but if you switched to the bike you'd become
part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

I recommend the new Bikeability training schemes, these are designed
for adults as well as children. I find cycling in London very
liberating. A bloody sight better than the tube, anyway.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc | http://www.nohelmetlaw.org.uk/
"Nullius in Verba" - take no man's word for it.

Old August 12th 09, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:06:30 -0700 (PDT), Neil Williams
wrote:

Might explain why the bodywork is made of tin foil, then... (but then
again that's a fairly standard Citroen thing )

Think yourself lucky that it isn't corrugated, as it was on early 2CVs
and on the H van.

Old August 12th 09, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:23:18 +0100, "Colin McKenzie"
wrote:

A recent report says that it is worth spending up to £10,000 to turn just
one person into a regular cyclist.

A report written by cycling enthusiasts, no doubt.

I think it would be well worth giving cyclists an interest free loan
of £10,000 to help them to buy a car.

Old August 12th 09, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote

The infrastructure is needed for all those homes where the car

isn't
parked in the drive, and for neighbourhoods where the electrical
supply hasn't been sized to allow everyone to draw an extra 100amps
continuously (ie almost all of them).

Yes, that's a very good point. Imagine if every house in the street

was
charging its electric car(s) overnight -- it's pretty unlikely that

the
local sub-station and wiring could handle the load. It may be OK if

just
one or two houses use 13amp sockets, but not if the whole street is
doing it for hours on end.

Many neighbourhoods were sized on the basis of many night storage
heaters, remember them ?

So probably only little local difficulties until electrical cars reach
10 % or so.

--
Mike D

Old August 12th 09, 11:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

"James Farrar" wrote in message
. 1.4
Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote in
:

In message op.uyjjm50pby8eno@sheepdog, Colin McKenzie
writes

The replacement for 73 stock is already out for tender.

That's a bit early, isn't it? If the modernisation programme is over
budget, deferring this build would be one way to spread the cost.

IIRC the 73 stock went into service in 1975, so its replacements
shouldn't be needed until 2015.

It's (currently!) designated 13 Tube Stock so that's about right.

Is there a public source for that?

http://www.tubelines.com/news/releas.../20070115.aspx says that
"Tube Lines is committed to introducing a new rolling stock fleet by
2014", hence the Font Of All Knowledge is calling it 2014 stock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_tube_stock

I notice the press release says, "Requesting expressions of
interest from manufacturers is the first stage of the procurement
process leading to selection and contract award by Tube Lines,
anticipated at the end of 2008". Well, that's not happened yet, so
I guess the in-service date is also slipping.

I think the 2009 stock was ordered in about April 2003, and it took
more than six years for the first train to enter late night
service. I assume the full 2009 stock service won't be till 2011.
On that basis, if the new Picc stock really is ordered this year,
the 1973 TS will probably still be in daily use when it's 40 years
old in 2015.

And? The 1967 TS is already 42 years old and has been in full service for
over 41 years. It seems pretty fresh to me, unlike the ageing standard
stock of my youth.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 13th 09, 08:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Aug 12, 9:23*pm, "Colin McKenzie" wrote:

It really isn't all that dangerous, even when it's frightening. I doubt *
Ireland (if you're there) is much different from the UK, where government *
figures show cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.

It can still be unpleasant having a lorry zoom past a couple of feet
from you, however often you cycle, and however good your awareness
etc.

Segregation doesn't work, for the same reason that annoys you about white *
paint. It reduces the chances of rare collisions (being hit from behind *
between junctions) but greatly increases the chance of being hit at *
junctions, which is much more likely to start with. This is because to be *
seen by drivers you need to be where they're looking, which is on the main *
carriageway.

Or completely segregated Dutch-style. I found this a lot more
pleasant as a cyclist than riding on a busy road, personally - and the
cycle paths are, unlike in the UK, largely up to standard and pleasant
to use. As a UK example, while the Milton Keynes Redways have some
major design flaws (some of which, e.g. blind bends, results in them
actually being quite a lot less safe than they nominally should be),
they're in my view generally nicer than cycling on 70mph dual
carriageways. Though a set of good Kevlar tyres is a must.

The priority over sideroads is a difficult one, though. I suppose
traffic lights would have to be used, as the culture of cars-have-
priority is difficult to change.

Neil