Old August 17th 09, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Walk-through trains

In article ,
"Tim Fenton" wrote:

"TimB" wrote in message

(none of this applies on the days when we all head to Aylesbury to
sacrifice babies to Beelzebub, of course)

Aylesbury? Is Tony Polson involved?

If he so chooses, which probably means yes.

But wait, Tony couldn't be ... that would explain everything! Tony is
BZAP

CARRIER LOST
Old August 17th 09, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:28:33 +0100
David Cantrell wrote:
I'd like to invite you to go to Google Maps, find Beulah Road in
Thornton Heath (postcode CR7 8JH), take a screenshot, and then using the
graphics package of your choice, mark where the fences are. Cos I live
there, and I'm buggered if I can spot them.

I posted a google streetview link for an unfenced road between some farmland
last week which took me about 3 minutes to find. Funnily enough he went all
silent after that.

B2003

Old August 17th 09, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 11:17:28AM +0000, Adrian wrote:
David Cantrell gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:
There's the small problem that while I can leave my car unattended on
the street it doesn't get stolen, because it's too heavy to lift and
is easily traceable, while if I were to leave a bike unattended on
the street, it would be. And there's nowhere else to leave it,
because I, like an awful lot of people, live in a small flat.

It's odd. I'm sure I recall Duhg regularly claiming that car owners are
fools for leaving cars parked in public, since they were liable to be
stolen - and that that was a reason why people should use bikes instead
of cars...

Yes, because cars are light enough to pick up, and aren't traceable.
Obviously.

engineer: n. one who, regardless of how much effort he puts in
to a job, will never satisfy either the suits or the scientists
Old August 17th 09, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 01:05:52PM +0100, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009, David Cantrell wrote:
A lock is sufficient, I am sure, if the bike is left in a busy area
where a naughty fellow would be seen cutting the lock off. It is not
going to be sufficient at 4am on a Monday night on a residential street.

Presumably, you speak from experience, or have statistics which make you
think this? It's just that i've left my bike overnight in all sorts of
places, quiet and otherwise, and it hasn't been nicked, and it sounds to
me a little bit like you might be talking out of your arse.

Number of cars stolen from me and my neighbours while parked in the
street outside in the last ten years: 0

Number of bikes stolen from my neighbours while locked up in garden
sheds and in back gardens in the last ten years: more than 0

It's reasonable to suppose that the number that would be stolen if left
out on the street would be even more than 0.

Given that I only care about where I live, yes, I *do* have statistics
to back up my argument thankyouverymuch. Admittedly not a particularly
large sample set, but it's bigger than the sample set that *you* have
for *my* street, so I obviously know more of what I talk about than you
do.

Unless you're one of my neighbours using a pseudonym to post here.

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

Graecum est; non legitur

Old August 17th 09, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:22:00 +0100, David Cantrell
wrote:

Yes, that would require lots of infrastructure, which would take time to
roll out (just look at how slowly LPG is spreading),

LPG is spreading slowly only because the government doesn't want to
encourage more consumption of LPG than is available from the
"associated gas" that would otherwise have been flared off. The whole
point of LPG in road vehicles is to use productively a gas that would
otherwise be flared and go straight to CO2.

Any LPG consumption over and above that quanitity has to be sourced
elsewhere, and is thus not "low CO2". So there is a balancing act
needed; when the government actively wanted people to use this LPG in
road vehicles it offered subsidies to convert petrol-powered vehicles
to run on it; now that supply and demand are broadly balanced, those
subsidies have been withdrawn.

There won't be any future expansion in LPG use because the supply is
now dwindling. That's why availability of LPG is not spreading.

Old August 17th 09, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bruce gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Can't say I expected anything better from the same halfwit who tried
to convince uk.railway that every road in britain is fenced.
Even though they are. You just wanted to put your own, very strange
personal slant on the word "fenced" and got yourself totally confused.

I'd like to invite you to go to Google Maps, find Beulah Road in
Thornton Heath (postcode CR7 8JH), take a screenshot, and then using the
graphics package of your choice, mark where the fences are. Cos I live
there, and I'm buggered if I can spot them.

As it's an open plan estate, it is unfenced.

Exactly.

The issue of open plan was discussed early on in the other thread. Do
keep up!

What "other thread"?

Oh, and perhaps you'd care to consider the common in my town which runs
straight up to the side of several roads, including a main A-road within
about half a mile of a major motorway junction, without being any kind of
"open plan estate"?

And please don't bother replying, as I have no intention of responding
to any further obtuse comments on the subject.

In other words "I know I'm wrong, and that this is a REALLY lame attempt
at weaselling out of it"
Old August 17th 09, 03:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 17, 6:05*am, Adrian wrote:
[...]

Napoleon has spoken. Regardless of the opinions that any may have on
this matter, he has had the last word. By order of the emperor you
must refrain from posting further on this matter.

LOL