Old August 14th 09, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default PAYG on FCC north of Finsbury Park

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 19:04:04 -0500,

wrote:

In article
,
(Martin Deutsch) wrote:

I went down to Wood Green tube and got a journey history printout,
which shows Wood Lane - Finsbury Park (at £0.00) followed by Wood
Lane - Alexandra Palace at £3.80, then the next line says *cap
applied*. This price is also the same as the z1-3 PAYG off-peak
cap with Railcard discount, most of which makes sense.

Hmm interesting - sounds like it has new fare tables in it but as you
say it doesn't correlate to any existing fare. It will be interesting
if it is a different scale for PAYG but it could, of course, be test
data that has no meaning at all in the context of future prices.

The journey history on a ticket machine listed "Wood Lane - Alexandra
Palac", and had "Via Z3LO" at the end of the line (although the O had
fallen off the edge of the display a little).

Wood Lane?

Yes that funny new station on the H&C Line that opened last year!

Oh, right. Thought this discussion was local to the GN for some reason and
someone was getting confused about Wood Green.

I'm not quite sure what higher price it was trying to charge me, or
whether this is likely to be the actual price charged once PAYG is
properly accepted for this route. It's useful to know though that I
(unofficially) have the option if I'm heading into town and the
Piccadilly Line's not working - and not bad value, provided it's
after 9.30am. Of course, it's still a bit of a grey area if one is
north of Finsbury Park and encounters an ticket inspector - though
that's never happened to me on a FCC train.

As there is no PAYG product that is currently valid for travel to
Alexandra Palace I'd suggest you'd be in difficulty trying to claim you
had a valid ticket.

There were still posters up saying no PAYG except on Finsbury Park to
Moorgate/King's Cross on my trip to and from Hornsey via Finsbury Park
this afternoon. And no sign of Oyster validators, or barriers even, at
Hornsey either. Nobody there took any interest in my (paper) Day
Travelcard.

Well of course - PAYG is NOT valid north of Finsbury Park regardless of
whether bits of equipment might be switched on and which might even work
with real Oyster cards.

What is, of course, interesting is that there will be a transaction
record for Martin's journey in the system. It is amusing to ponder
whether the test team spot that they had an "extra tester" helping to
evaluate the system for them. Let's hope they haven't flagged Martin's
card in the system.

:-)

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old August 20th 09, 07:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"Barry Salter" wrote in message

I would guess it's more a case of Cubic not wanting to have to send
Engineers out to do a mass switch on when PAYG is finally accepted, as the
validators at Palmers Green, Edmonton Green and Silver Street are all
turned on as well (though generally still covered).

2 readers at BHK on the up road platform access (side) gate.

Both un-covered - but where before, and when the cover was taken off someone
would replace it.

Had a look the other day when passing through; 1 machine - 'touch for
entry/exit' the other said 'closed'

If someone at Edmonton / Silver St / Enfield Town can tell me if any of
those are 'open' I will test them at some point over the weekend with a PAYG
card I have kicking about. (And before people say anything I have an
existing paper gold card that covers me anyway)

Old September 4th 09, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 12, 9:54*pm, Martin Deutsch wrote:
On Aug 11, 6:32*pm, John B wrote:

In the meantime, we need a guinea pig with a PAYG card and no
Travelcard loaded to touch in and see what happens...

I took a detour on my way home this evening, and gave it a go myself
(stopping via Finsbury Park, where I also touched out at a standalone
reader, and bought a paper ticket just in case)

And... it seems to have worked.

I went down to Wood Green tube and got a journey history printout,
which shows Wood Lane - Finsbury Park (at £0.00) followed by Wood Lane
- Alexandra Palace at £3.80, then the next line says *cap applied*.
This price is also the same as the z1-3 PAYG off-peak cap with
Railcard discount, most of which makes sense.

Just to add - I've had a look at the 8-week journey history from the
Oyster helpline, and the Finsbury Park - Alexandra Palace journey is
missing; though the balance has been adjusted accordingly.