Old August 20th 09, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default De-bendification of 507

Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 18, 9:52 pm, David Jackman pleasereplytogroup wrote:

"Chris Read" wrote in news:F-qdnaM_
:

an anxious 521 regular

Given that a MEC is basically an updated version of a standee National and
the route worked just fine prior to bendification I really wouldn't expect
it to be a big deal (and much less eventful than the early days of the
bendies!!)

You're making the presumption that passenger numbers haven't changed
since those days of yore.

From the latest TfL annual report:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/abou...ions/1458.aspx

(plus some historical ones).

Passenger numbers on buses per annum:

2002/3 - 1.534bn
2003/4 - 1.702bn
2004/5 - 1.793bn
2005/6 - 1.816bn
2006/7 - 1.880bn
2007/8 - 2.176bn
2008/9 - 2.247bn

It stands to reason that if passenger numbers have gone up 46% since the
days of the old National it's not necessarily a given that the new buses
will be able to cope.

Tom

P.S. what's what DLR performance dropping sharply over the last year?

P.P.S. Apparently the cycle hire scheme is going to be 'iconic'.
AAARGGH. Stop using that word!

Old August 20th 09, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 20 Aug, 08:11, wrote:
In article . 145,

pleasereplytogroup (David Jackman) wrote:
Railist wrote in
:

On 18 Aug, 23:29, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 18, 9:52*pm, David Jackman pleasereplytogroup wrote:

"Chris Read" wrote in
:

an anxious 521 regular

Given that a MEC is basically an updated version of a standee
National and the route worked just fine prior to bendification I
really wouldn't expect it to be a big deal (and much less eventful
than the early days of the bendies!!) *

You're making the presumption that passenger numbers haven't changed
since those days of yore.

I've noticed the 507 has been crush loaded on several occasions, with
two packed buses leaving at the same time. This doesn't bode well for
other routes...

Waterloo Road in the morning peak sees queues build up at the bus
stops and *the majority of buses leave with crush loads - with the
521 you wouldn't expect to get on the first bus to depart but join
one of three queues (one for each door). *All very British.

In the evening you can usually get a bus from the Aldwych fairly
quickly but if you are going beyond Waterloo and want a specifc
route it can be a very fustrating experience.

Time to reopen the Aldwych branch and extend it to Waterloo?

Such a route would be great, but there's nowhere for the trains to
come from. I mean, it would really need to run from Kings Cross at
least, not just Holborn.
Old August 21st 09, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 20, 11:36*am, David Cantrell wrote:

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 09:00:41AM +0000, wrote:
On 18 Aug 2009 19:32:26 GMT

James Farrar wrote:
It was dreadful the previous Sunday too - in the end my GF and I ended up
getting offf the bus we were on two stops early and walking. Part of the
bus station itself was closed too.

Unless you're completely cash strapped why subject yourself to long
distance poverty travel in the first place? Get a train.

Uh, I think you're confusing Victoria bus station with Victoria *coach*
station. *The latter being, as you suggest, a ghastly place used solely
by students and drug-addled Scots coming to London to drink and beg.

Have you even been there recently?
Old August 21st 09, 05:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Barry" wrote in message

P.S. what's what DLR performance dropping sharply over the last year?

There has been a lot of engineering work on the DLR due to the three car
upgrade program. Tower Gateway was closed most of the year and the
Lewisham branch was reduced to single track for a couple of months.

Peter Smyth

Old August 24th 09, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 04:32:10AM -0700, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 20, 11:36=A0am, David Cantrell wrote:
Uh, I think you're confusing Victoria bus station with Victoria *coach*
station. =A0The latter being, as you suggest, a ghastly place used solely
by students and drug-addled Scots coming to London to drink and beg.

Have you even been there recently?

Yes, to collect someone who should have known better.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

"There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza."
"WHAT MAKES YOU SAY THERE IS A HOLE IN YOUR BUCKET?"

Old August 24th 09, 01:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 24, 2:18*pm, David Cantrell wrote:

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 04:32:10AM -0700, Mizter T wrote:

On Aug 20, 11:36am, David Cantrell wrote:
Uh, I think you're confusing Victoria bus station with Victoria *coach*
station. The latter being, as you suggest, a ghastly place used solely
by students and drug-addled Scots coming to London to drink and beg.

Have you even been there recently?

Yes, to collect someone who should have known better.

The delights of snobbery.
Old August 24th 09, 02:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 24 Aug, 14:45, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 24, 2:18*pm, David Cantrell wrote:

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 04:32:10AM -0700, Mizter T wrote:

On Aug 20, 11:36am, David Cantrell wrote:
Uh, I think you're confusing Victoria bus station with Victoria *coach*
station. The latter being, as you suggest, a ghastly place used solely
by students and drug-addled Scots coming to London to drink and beg..
Have you even been there recently?

Yes, to collect someone who should have known better.

The delights of snobbery.

can't resist

I really look down on snobs.

/can't resist
Old August 25th 09, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 06:45:24AM -0700, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 24, 2:18=A0pm, David Cantrell wrote:
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 04:32:10AM -0700, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 20, 11:36am, David Cantrell wrote:
Uh, I think you're confusing Victoria bus station with Victoria coach
station. The latter being, as you suggest, a ghastly place used solely
by students and drug-addled Scots coming to London to drink and beg.
Have you even been there recently?

Yes, to collect someone who should have known better.

The delights of snobbery.

If finding screaming chavs to be unpleasant is snobbery, then yes, I'm a
snob, and proud of it.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

I caught myself pulling grey hairs out of my beard.
I'm definitely not going grey, but I am going vain.
Old August 25th 09, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Basil Jet wrote:

James Farrar wrote:

Bayswater to Victoria is "long distance"? What's a short distance?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_length

Which brings us back to Mr Boltar, who could be quantitated in plank
thicknesses, provided you had two short ones.

tom

--
There are many ways of going crazy, but the most valuable of them is
this one which makes a genius out of an ordinary man. -- Claudio Grondi
Old September 7th 09, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 17 Aug, 20:32, "Chris Read" wrote:
How's it going with the baby Citaros?

Anyone have horror stories of gross overcrowding, or Victoria bus station
overwhelmed with the frequency of the service?

Or is all tickety-boo?

Chris
(an anxious 521 regular)

With all the talk of the 507, I didn't realise the 521 was so soon to
straighten till I caught one today. It was pretty empty, but it was
about 1625.

I am reminded of Ronnie Barker singing "I'm goin straight, I am;
straight as an arrer".