Old August 19th 09, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default De-bendification of 507

On Aug 19, 10:00*am, wrote:

On 18 Aug 2009 19:32:26 GMT

James Farrar wrote:
David Cantrell wrote in
. uk:

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 08:32:34PM +0100, Chris Read wrote:

Anyone have horror stories of gross overcrowding, or Victoria bus
station overwhelmed with the frequency of the service?

Victoria bus station was horribly overwhelmed on Saturday when I
wanted to catch a bus there, but the gridlock was more caused by the
roadworks on Buckingham Palace Road than anything else, I think.

It was dreadful the previous Sunday too - in the end my GF and I ended up
getting offf the bus we were on two stops early and walking. Part of the
bus station itself was closed too.

Unless you're completely cash strapped why subject yourself to long
distance poverty travel in the first place? Get a train.

Which is something of a ****wit knee-jerk comment, You have no idea
what their journey was.

Old August 19th 09, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 19, 8:52*am, Railist wrote:

On 18 Aug, 23:29, Mizter T wrote:

On Aug 18, 9:52*pm, David Jackman pleasereplytogroup wrote:

"Chris Read" wrote:

an anxious 521 regular

Given that a MEC is basically an updated version of a standee National and
the route worked just fine prior to bendification I really wouldn't expect
it to be a big deal (and much less eventful than the early days of the
bendies!!) *

You're making the presumption that passenger numbers haven't changed
since those days of yore.

I've noticed the 507 has been crush loaded on several occasions, with
two packed buses leaving at the same time. This doesn't bode well for
other routes...

Quite - as Tom Barry says downthread, it's daft to compare then and
now - pax numbers have grown. Indeed, dare I make the outlandish
suggestion that the high-capacity easy-to-board bendies attracted
custom which transferred off the crowded Tube - which of course is
exactly the kind of thing the Red Arrow routes were intended to do.
Old August 19th 09, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 03:33:19 -0700 (PDT)
Mizter T wrote:
Unless you're completely cash strapped why subject yourself to long
distance poverty travel in the first place? Get a train.

Which is something of a ****wit knee-jerk comment, You have no idea
what their journey was.

So where in the UK is it possible to visit by coach that can't also be
visited by train + local bus? I've travelled by national express twice in
my life. Once because my cousin persuaded me and once because I thought
"perhaps its improved". It hadn't. Never ever again. Why people do it I have
no idea.
You spend hours in traffic jams in a cramped seat and it takes 6 hours to go
****ing nowhere as the damn bus does a spider crawl through 101 little towns
to drop off come crusties or lavtian fruit pickers. An utterly horrid form of
transport.

B2003

Old August 19th 09, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
Unless you're completely cash strapped why subject yourself to long
distance poverty travel in the first place? Get a train.

Which is something of a ****wit knee-jerk comment, You have no idea
what their journey was.

So where in the UK is it possible to visit by coach that can't also be
visited by train + local bus? I've travelled by national express twice in
my life. Once because my cousin persuaded me and once because I thought
"perhaps its improved". It hadn't. Never ever again. Why people do it I have
no idea.
You spend hours in traffic jams in a cramped seat and it takes 6 hours to go
****ing nowhere as the damn bus does a spider crawl through 101 little towns
to drop off come crusties or lavtian fruit pickers. *An utterly horrid form of
transport.

You're the only person who's even mentioned coach travel - James
certainly didn't.
Old August 19th 09, 11:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 04:08:13 -0700 (PDT)
Mizter T wrote:
You're the only person who's even mentioned coach travel - James
certainly didn't.

Why else would someone be down in victoria bus station then? Unless he
meant that patch of tarmac outside the rail station which I don't think you
could reasonaly call a bus "station".

B2003

Old August 19th 09, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
You're the only person who's even mentioned coach travel - James
certainly didn't.

Why else would someone be down in victoria bus station then? Unless he
meant that patch of tarmac outside the rail station which I don't think you
could reasonaly call a bus "station".

You might not "reasonaly" call it a bus station but that's what
everyone else calls it (including TfL). The coaches go from Victoria
Coach Station.
Old August 19th 09, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

So where in the UK is it possible to visit by coach that can't also be
visited by train + local bus? I've travelled by national express twice in
my life. Once because my cousin persuaded me and once because I thought
"perhaps its improved". It hadn't. Never ever again. Why people do it I
have
no idea.

You spend hours in traffic jams in a cramped seat and it takes 6 hours to
go
****ing nowhere as the damn bus does a spider crawl through 101 little
towns
to drop off come crusties or lavtian fruit pickers. An utterly horrid
form of
transport.

I've used National Express on occasions over the years for a mixture of
reasons:

* Getting an overnight journey between London & Edinburgh when I need to be
there by morning. There aren't many jams at night and the stops are all
reasonable. Compared to the cost of the sleeper, or the cost and difficult
early morning travel to fly it wasn't bad.

* Getting to Lancaster one weekend when the West Coast Main Line was ****ed
by engineering works.

* Getting back to Canterbury one night when I'd missed the last train from
London.

When a student in Cantebury I found some of my contemporaries were keen on
coaches and often society trips to London were done on National Express
rather than rail. I don't remember them being particularly jammed.

Whenever I've had to go to Oxford I've used the Oxford Tube to get there and
back - it's quite a good journey and not cramped at all.

Old August 19th 09, 06:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote in
:

Mizter T wrote:
You're the only person who's even mentioned coach travel - James
certainly didn't.

Why else would someone be down in victoria bus station then? Unless
he meant that patch of tarmac outside the rail station which I don't
think y

ou
could reasonaly call a bus "station".

You might not "reasonaly" call it a bus station but that's what
everyone else calls it (including TfL). The coaches go from Victoria
Coach Station.

You did very well not to finish that post with "you moron".
Old August 19th 09, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote:

Bayswater to Victoria is "long distance"? What's a short distance?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_length