Old November 1st 03, 02:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default tourist question re walking in London

This will determine whether I need to pick up 7-day
Travel Cards or just work with day offpeaks.

Just to make sure, did you notice there's a special Visitor Travelcard?
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/promo-visitor-overseas.shtml

I had one for Zone 1&2 each time I traveled to London, making things a
lot easier for me, as I never needed to care about daytime or whatever
but just could use the underground or a bus when I liked to.
Even if - or especially when - you're walking a lot, you'll be glad not
having to walk all the way.

Regards,
Joachim

Old November 6th 03, 02:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:

In article , clio22
writes
Hi,

I'll be visiting London for the first time and, as such, can't gauge
what's walkable. This will determine whether I need to pick up 7-day
Travel Cards or just work with day offpeaks. I'm a decent walker, but
not ready for primetime marathon walking.

Just as an aside to the helpful information you've already been given:

Walking is often the *best* way of seeing places. Indeed, I'd
recommend it as something far too few visitors do. You can plan some
delightful walks where you'll see far more than you would on the
Underground (obviously!).

Buy a book of "Saver" tickets for the buses (not valid on the
Underground). They cost GBP3.90 for six rides (valid indefinitely),
working out at 65p per ride, where the cash fare is GBP1. That way, if
you feel a bit tired or simply want to walk one way and bus it another,
you can just hop on the bus (which is *almost* as good as walking when
it comes to sightseeing, especially if you go upstairs!).

snip

If noone else was going to do so, I would recommend the bus network.
Grab the Central London and other areas bus maps as soon as you can on
arrival, and that'll help plan your walks as the main roads even when
not served by a bus service are clear.

Also think about wandering along the Thames Path through west as well as
central and east London, and walking the parks, the canals, Hampstead
Heath, Epping Forest, Highgate Woods, and other 'green lung' areas.

If you can go further afield, London Transpire used to publish (and may
still do) a series of books entitled 'Country Walks". I picked up Book 1
(1974 edition priced at 50p) for 1 pound $1.60 in a second hand bookshop
in Pembrokeshire recently.

These walks range from around 5 to 10 miles, and are around the
periphery of the Underground network - which is mostly above ground
anyway, in terms of route mileage) - but still served by the red bus
network. Indeed there's also the country bus and Green Line networks to
consider .....

--
Dominic Pinto
-------------

Independent Adviser
Public & International Policy - Strategy - Regulation - PR - Commercial
Hospitality - Catering - Bars
Covent Garden London United Kingdom
Cellphone/GSM Mobile: +44 780 302 8268 Fax: +44 207 379-8341
Associated with http://www.telespherelimited.com
Friend or Former Student of University of Newcastle upon Tyne?
Join us: See http://www.ncl.ac.uk/alumni
Check out FITCE Congress 2004 Ghent at http://www.fitce.org
Old November 6th 03, 03:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dominic Pinto wrote:

Ian Jelf wrote:

In article , clio22
writes
Hi,

I'll be visiting London for the first time and, as such, can't gauge
what's walkable. This will determine whether I need to pick up 7-day
Travel Cards or just work with day offpeaks. I'm a decent walker, but
not ready for primetime marathon walking.

snipped

And I just came across http://www.beerintheevening.com/ which could be
quite useful in planning walsk and refreshment stops!
Old November 6th 03, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dominic Pinto" wrote in message

If noone else was going to do so, I would recommend the bus network.
Grab the Central London and other areas bus maps as soon as you can on
arrival, and that'll help plan your walks as the main roads even when
not served by a bus service are clear.

You can download them at:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/buses_map.shtml

They are PDF files

Old November 6th 03, 04:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Dominic Pinto
writes

These walks range from around 5 to 10 miles, and are around the
periphery of the Underground network - which is mostly above ground
anyway, in terms of route mileage) - but still served by the red bus
network. Indeed there's also the country bus and Green Line networks to
consider .....

I haven't lived in London for 30+ years, and remember Green Line express
coaches well, I'd thought they'd finished when wide integration came in.
Are they still running as the express LT.. country buses then, or is
this something else?
--
Clive

Old November 6th 03, 04:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Dominic Pinto
writes
useful in planning walsk and refreshment stops!

I see what you mean.
--
Clive
Old November 6th 03, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive wrote:

In message , Dominic Pinto
writes

These walks range from around 5 to 10 miles, and are around the
periphery of the Underground network - which is mostly above ground
anyway, in terms of route mileage) - but still served by the red bus
network. Indeed there's also the country bus and Green Line networks to
consider .....

I haven't lived in London for 30+ years, and remember Green Line express
coaches well, I'd thought they'd finished when wide integration came in.
Are they still running as the express LT.. country buses then, or is
this something else?
--

see http://www.greenline.co.uk/

Green Line provides fast, frequent and friendly scheduled coach services
between London and the Home Counties. Stop off at this page now and plan
your journey using our Green Line timetables.

London Country Buses (until around 1970 part of London Transport) was
absorbed by the National Bus Company - see
http://www.ampyx.org.uk/lcountry/history.html - now all run in one form
or another by ARRIVA Crawley & East Surrey, ARRIVA East Herts & Essex,
ARRIVA The Shires and ARRIVA Kent Thameside, apparently.
Old November 12th 03, 03:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Henry" wrote in message ...
"Dominic Pinto" wrote in message

If noone else was going to do so, I would recommend the bus network.
Grab the Central London and other areas bus maps as soon as you can on
arrival, and that'll help plan your walks as the main roads even when
not served by a bus service are clear.

You can download them at:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/buses_map.shtml

They are PDF files

Yes, I have these, thanks. Problem is they're not particularly legible
or utile in a printed 8.5x11 paper format.

The Tfl website has been quite responsive. They're mailing me bus map,
tube map, etc. They seem to be out of the walking maps, however. I'll
use the walking journey planner in the meantime, as suggested above.

I thank those who suggested various other walks. As a history scholar
I'll be doing quite a bit of walking in London. I just threw out those
few walks to get an idea of distance/what was walkable.

Bonnie