Old September 26th 09, 11:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default DLR Replacement Route

I am resigned to there being no really sensible action taken when both
PAYG rail routes to the south east are closed, basically down to TfL's
attitude of "we wish the world to be a certain way, and will therefore
make no allowances for the fact that it isn't".

Last night (Saturday) I arrived at Kings Cross from being out of
London for a while, with just enough PAYG credit for one LU/DLR
journey, and touched in, as you do, and proceeded on the Northern
Line.

I found it bizarre that from a point near a river crossing, I was then
required to take a train to the middle of a peninsula without a river
crossing, in order to then take a bus across the river.

With DLR services running from Bank to Canary Wharf, I can understand
why there would be a replacement bus from Canary Wharf to Island
Gardens. I can also understand why some small single deckers would be
run through the Blackwall Tunnel to get people from the Isle of Dogs
to Greenwich and Lewisham.

But I can't understand why much larger numbers of passengers trying to
get from Bank to Greenwich and Lewisham were forced to go all the way
to Canary Wharf to cram into the same single deckers (or else pay
extra for regular buses or NR).

And, given that this is a general transport group, for how many years
now has Greenwich High Road been single file with temporary traffic
lights? And why do the lights at the junction with Deptford Bridge go
green for only three seconds at a time?