Old October 11th 09, 05:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Default Wafted from paradise to Luton Airport

In message , at 00:17:30 on Mon, 12 Oct
2009, Miles Bader remarked:
Why settle for surly when for a little more you can have surly and
condescending.

Ha! If you'd fly a Korean airline, you could have violent and insane too!

What a strange remark. Are you a xenophobic? I've been to Korea and it's
a much more civilised place than the UK, despite rumours to the
contrary. Their airport frequently wins awards, too; and deservedly so.

Old October 11th 09, 06:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

--

Well apart from being banned to fly to any country in the EU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Koryo

Old October 11th 09, 06:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

"MC" wrote in message
ster.com...
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 11:38:48 on Sun, 11
Oct 2009, Ian F. remarked:
Never fly budget airlines. Pay the premium and just go on a normal
airline. In many cases it doesn't work out to be much more.

And it many cases it can be much less.

You'll have to quote a few examples, because I've been flying round
Europe at least once a month for the last three or four years, and
I think I've only seen it once (a late evening Brussels-Heathrow with BA
that came in at 26 Euros plus 56 Euro tax (~£70); not that Brussels is
overwhelmed with Budget carriers).

I recently flew by:

BA to Inverness around £20 cheaper than EJ all in.

BA to Budapest around £40 cheaper that EJ all in.

BA to Naples £20 cheaper than EJ all in.

Since when have EJ (New England Airlines) been flying to and from the UK?
--
JohnT

Old October 11th 09, 06:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message , at 18:24:00 on Sun, 11
Oct 2009, JohnT remarked:
I recently flew by:

BA to Inverness around £20 cheaper than EJ all in.

BA to Budapest around £40 cheaper that EJ all in.

BA to Naples £20 cheaper than EJ all in.

Since when have EJ (New England Airlines) been flying to and from the UK?

Anyone with an atom of common sense would have understood that he meant
EZY.

Old October 11th 09, 07:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

On Oct 11, 4:13*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

I thought it became chargeable when the airport lost interest in
providing it themselves, so FCC said they'd take it on if they could
charge to cover costs?

The airport used bone-shakers, but I doubt they could get away with
providing no service for this essential link.

It was not a case of FCC taking it on an charge a fee. The LTN/LAP bus
link has been TOC responsibility for some time ... even when it ran
from Luton in the pre-LAP days. Before FCC it was certainly embedded
in the GoVia franchise. I have not looked it up, but I am 99% sure it
is part of FCC franchise.

So if right, FCC did not ''take it on'' from the airport, they merely
put an ''improvement'' in that part of its commitment - new [awful]
buses and charge a fee.

--
Nick
Old October 11th 09, 07:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

wrote in message

Never fly budget airlines. Pay the premium and just go on a normal
airline. In many cases it doesn't work out to be much more.

That may be an option if you live in SE England. But for the rest of us it's
not at all realistic. I live on Anglesey - getting to Liverpool/Manchester
for easyjet and Ryanair is tedious enough, going to London so I could use
the allegedly superior service of "normal" airlines would be ridiculous.

Old October 11th 09, 07:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

On Oct 11, 6:35*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

Since when have EJ (New England Airlines) been flying to and from the UK?

Anyone with an atom of common sense would have understood that he meant
EZY.

U2

--
Nick
Old October 11th 09, 07:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air
MC MC is offline

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
news
In message .com, at
15:32:59 on Sun, 11 Oct 2009, MC remarked:
I recently flew by:

BA to Inverness around £20 cheaper than EJ all in.

BA to Budapest around £40 cheaper that EJ all in.

BA to Naples £20 cheaper than EJ all in.

Originating where? Heathrow perhaps. BA have pretty much abandoned
regional airports. If BA are flying those routes for the same-ish price as
a low-cost booked the same amount in advance, then it's good news for
people who can get to Heathrow.

Gatwick. Admittedly some "out of the way" airports are poorly served and
you do not get much of a choice. I am quite lucky in that I have good
public transport to my nearest Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted. Although I
still have to allow 2 hrs travel time.

But note that BA will now be charging for seat assignments, and reportedly
have scrapped food on short-haul. So becoming more like a budget airline.

At least you get a seat assignment. Some budget airlines make you run for it
in the hope of a decent seat and the older I get this is not an ideal
solution for me ). Besides, BA will only charge for early seat (prior to
24 hours) assignment. After this time it is free and you can go online,
check in and choose your seat or wait and get it assigned at the airport.
Food on short haul has always been a little unnecessary, unless it was
breakfast (which I believe they will still offer). BA will still offer
beverages and a beer or two as well.

And I know that classic carriers can't compete on price with the budget
airlines in "many cases" (rather than a few), nor is £20 "much cheaper".

It is when the flight was around £70. "EZY (U2)" ) was around £90

MC

Old October 11th 09, 08:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air
MC MC is offline

"rail" wrote in message
In message
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 13:39:27 on Sun, 11
Oct 2009, " remarked:
Never fly budget airlines. Pay the premium and just go on a normal
airline. In many cases it doesn't work out to be much more.
And it many cases it can be much less.
Ian

Indeed, it can be less at times. Much less hassle in any event.

Using Heathrow is much more hassle than anything a low cost airline can
throw at me.

T5 is actually pleasant to use, which is more than one can say about
Luton.
However I appreciate getting there from Nottingham is not the best
journery
in the world.

T1 is also not too bad (a little busy at times) but I have found it OK. As
is T4. Never had the privilege to use T2 but T3 is the pits. Really, the
pits.

MC