Old October 15th 09, 08:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default OT - Now that geocities is closing...

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Basil Jet wrote:

... where can I get loads of webspace free?

A blog? They let you upload images. Blog format might not suit you,
though.

Google Pages was mentioned before, but ISTR that it's too constrained.

It's funny, you can get a range of web applications, some really very
complicated, for free these days, but raw webspace is hard to come across.
I don't think many people want it.

tom

--
I had no idea it was going to end in such tragedy

Old October 16th 09, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . li, at
21:45:04 on Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Tom Anderson
remarked:
It's funny, you can get a range of web applications, some really very
complicated, for free these days, but raw webspace is hard to come
across. I don't think many people want it.

I have as much raw webspace as I want. It's simply a server on the end
of my ADSL line. If I use up the current 100GB+ all I have to do is buy
a larger hard drive.

As my ISP provides reverse-DNS on my connection (I think they all
should, but perhaps they all don't) it's not even necessary to register
and maintain a domain name (maybe £5 a year) although that does allow
you to change connectivity providers without breaking all the links.

Now that a typical upstream bandwidth is 512K (once upon a time
sufficient to run a whole ISP with thousands of websites), the sort of
sites we are talking about can easily be hosted at home.

ps Some ISPs still claim to ban hosting of servers, but this makes
little sense any more, especially on asymmetrical connections.
Old October 18th 09, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

Now that a typical upstream bandwidth is 512K (once upon a time
sufficient to run a whole ISP with thousands of websites), the sort
of sites we are talking about can easily be hosted at home.

FSVO "easily". There are a lot of security risks to be protected against
if you are running a web-facing server.

--
Colin Rosenstiel