Old November 11th 09, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Quick PAYG query

Could someone remind me what happens if you touch in with a small positive
balance (that is less than the maximum cash fare), then touch out following
a journey that was more expensive than the balance?

Cheers

Paul S

Old November 11th 09, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Could someone remind me what happens if you touch in with a small
positive balance (that is less than the maximum cash fare), then touch
out following a journey that was more expensive than the balance?

You get a slight overdraft on the card.
Old November 11th 09, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Paul Scott" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Could someone remind me what happens if you touch in with a small
positive balance (that is less than the maximum cash fare), then touch
out following a journey that was more expensive than the balance?

You get a slight overdraft on the card.

Cheers. So it will not be until the start of the next attempted journey that
you'll find you can't touch in?

Paul S

Old November 11th 09, 04:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 17:18:40 -0000
"Paul Scott" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
"Paul Scott" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Could someone remind me what happens if you touch in with a small
positive balance (that is less than the maximum cash fare), then touch
out following a journey that was more expensive than the balance?

You get a slight overdraft on the card.

Cheers. So it will not be until the start of the next attempted journey that
you'll find you can't touch in?

I wonder if its possible to get an overdraft thats more than the 3 quid the
cards cost in the first place. I'm sure they've thought of this but if not
then you could bin it and just buy a new one and save some money

B2003

Old November 11th 09, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 17:18:40 -0000, Paul Scott wrote:

Could someone remind me what happens if you touch in with a small
positive balance (that is less than the maximum cash fare), then touch
out following a journey that was more expensive than the balance?

You get a slight overdraft on the card.

Cheers. So it will not be until the start of the next attempted journey that
you'll find you can't touch in?

Yes. IIRC you can even do an OSI while your balance is negative
(though I haven't tried this for a while).

Old November 12th 09, 01:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 17:21:32 +0000, boltar2003 wrote:

I wonder if its possible to get an overdraft thats more than the 3 quid
the cards cost in the first place. I'm sure they've thought of this but
if not then you could bin it and just buy a new one and save some money

Don't forget that some cards don't have a deposit - namely, cards
initially purchased with a week-or-longer Travelcard. (Or at least that
was the policy when I was last in London.)

On my way out of London about a year ago, I semi-inadvertently ended up
with a negative balance on a deposit-free card. I was planning to walk
the 12 minutes from where I was staying to Hendon Central, and made sure
in advance that my Oyster card had the proper fare, but a bus pulled up
(and I realized that my luggage was heavier than it looked), so I decided
to take it to Golders Green instead. It didn't occur to me until I was
halfway to Paris what I had done - I'm so used to New York's free
transfers from bus to subway that I briefly forgot they don't apply in
the rest of the world.

I guess that makes up in part for the refund I never received for the 20-
minute delay I encountered in August 2006 trying to get to the Heathrow
shuttle buses at Hatton Cross.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old November 12th 09, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David of Broadway wrote:

Don't forget that some cards don't have a deposit - namely, cards
initially purchased with a week-or-longer Travelcard. (Or at least
that was the policy when I was last in London.)

It has changed since then, 7 day travelcards (at least) had a deposit
introduced to encourage people not to throw them away IIRC...

Paul S

Old November 12th 09, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 12 Nov, 10:37, "Paul Scott" wrote:
David of Broadway wrote:
Don't forget that some cards don't have a deposit - namely, cards
initially purchased with a week-or-longer Travelcard. *(Or at least
that was the policy when I was last in London.)

It has changed since then, 7 day travelcards (at least) had a deposit
introduced to encourage people not to throw them away IIRC...

Paul S

I can't see anyone ever getting the money back honestly. Would anyone
remember it when emigrating (particularly if they needed it to get to
the airport)? Would bereaved relatives think of getting back the
deposit on the deceased's Oyster?