Showing results 1 to 25 of 26
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Clark W. Griswold, Jr.
Forum: London Transport December 30th 05, 04:52 PM
Replies: 9
Tube in London

"***Jos***" wrote:

For example: what is an Oyster card??

An Oyster card is a prepaid, stored value, RFID card. The idea is that you pay
in advance for what you think...
Forum: London Transport December 30th 05, 02:34 PM
Replies: 9
Tube in London

"Brimstone" wrote:

There are too many variations and possibilities to give a "personal answer"
but here the site with all the info you need.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/...
Forum: London Transport December 28th 05, 04:17 PM
Replies: 28
West London Tram (and others)

Terry Harper wrote:

Seattle's system does this, running as trolley buses underground
through the city centre, and using diesel once on the surface. They
are...
Forum: London Transport December 23rd 05, 04:56 AM
Replies: 28
West London Tram (and others)

"Alan J. Flavell" wrote:

To the best of my recollection, some German trolleybuses have (or have
had) a fully fledged diesel motor, used routinely on the outer parts
of...
Forum: London Transport December 23rd 05, 04:43 AM
Replies: 28
West London Tram (and others)

Forum: London Transport December 21st 05, 09:35 PM
Replies: 23
"Extra" buses

I suspect the argument is that those disabled with poor eyesight will
find it easier to read a destination in a large font rather than...
Forum: London Transport December 21st 05, 09:34 PM
Replies: 23
"Extra" buses

As the totally blind can see neither the 'via' points nor the destination,
surely it is discriminatory for anyone to know where the bus is...
Forum: London Transport December 21st 05, 07:31 PM
Replies: 23
"Extra" buses

" wrote:

So, when "via points" are finally abolished from all London buses, as
the disabled lobby seems to be achieving,

I'm sorry if this was mentioned before,...
Forum: London Transport December 21st 05, 02:45 PM
Replies: 9
Gatwick Fastway (Fantasy?)

"CJB" wrote:

Hmm - excuse me - but what make a bus 'smart' if its painted silver
and blue. I've heard of smart computers etc., but not smart buses.

Assuming...
Forum: London Transport November 10th 05, 03:06 AM
Replies: 17
New book: Underground Maps After Beck by Maxwell Roberts

"N.I.B." wrote:

The fold-out ones from the vending machines on the tube are like that.

I'll take a closer look next time. I didn't think those reflected the actual
track...
Forum: London Transport November 9th 05, 11:20 PM
Replies: 17
New book: Underground Maps After Beck by Maxwell Roberts

Ian Jelf wrote:

John's right, it is very good indeed. Anyone who enjoyed the wonderful
Mr. Beck's Underground Map" will enjoy this very much, too.

Anyone have a...
Forum: London Transport July 3rd 05, 11:38 PM
Replies: 93
Mornington Crescent

James Farrar wrote:

I gave you a cross-post...

Thank you...
Forum: London Transport July 3rd 05, 10:55 PM
Replies: 93
Mornington Crescent

"Ian F." wrote:

Try here for starters:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A769395

Well, yes.... But you know you are in trouble when the rules begin "The rules
are far too...
Forum: London Transport July 3rd 05, 10:52 PM
Replies: 93
Mornington Crescent

James Farrar wrote:

If you wish to learn the rules, I suggest you consult a rulebook.

A pointer to such would be very helpful. I've listened to several "Sorry, I
Haven't...
Forum: London Transport July 3rd 05, 07:51 PM
Replies: 93
Mornington Crescent

"Joe" wrote:

Anyone feel like a game of Mornington Crescent? :-p

Only if you care to explain the rules first. Although I gather part of the game
is to discover the...
Forum: London Transport June 4th 05, 06:26 PM
Replies: 70
Central line buggered again

"Richard J." wrote:

leaving us to depend on the Evening Standard.

Haven't read the actual paper recently, but the ES web site has seriously cut
back their coverage of...
Forum: London Transport June 4th 05, 12:05 AM
Replies: 3
getting around london on holiday

David Cantrell wrote:

But if you really don't want to stay there, my next choice would be
around Lancaster Gate

Yep. The area between Lancaster Gate and Notting Hill has a...
Forum: London Transport March 12th 05, 08:23 PM
Replies: 11
Pay & Display Machines

Joe wrote:

At onStreet Pay & Display machines, nearly all of the parking attendants
press some buttons on the front of them, wait about 5 seconds then walk
away. Does...
Forum: London Transport March 2nd 05, 01:12 AM
Replies: 23
What hapend to the visitor passes

(Ric Euteneuer) wrote:

I've encountered a lot of hostility to normal underground services,
mainly from the USA, who think it is a den of Bronx style iniquity.

I've used LU many...
Forum: London Transport February 21st 05, 03:17 AM
Replies: 23
What hapend to the visitor passes

wrote:

IMHO there is not much point in getting the Heathrow Express because it
costs more and you still have to negotiate the tube system.

The HE will certainly cost more...
Forum: London Transport February 20th 05, 09:13 PM
Replies: 9
Abandoned Underground Station books on Ebay

3 interesting illustrated books on the various abandoned underground
stations and railway lines that can be found in London on sale...
Forum: London Transport February 20th 05, 07:41 PM
Replies: 23
What hapend to the visitor passes

wrote:

During my former visits I bought some kind of London Visitor pass for
unlimited tube/bus travel.

It looks like that card is replaced by an...
Forum: London Transport February 16th 05, 12:46 AM
Replies: 3
(Another) Film Poster Banned

Joe wrote:

Advertisements for the Oscar-nominated movie, starring Liam Neeson, have
been censored after Tube chiefs ruled they were too offensive.

Always thought the one...
Forum: London Transport February 12th 05, 08:42 PM
Replies: 25
Tube stations closed on Sundays

"Peter Smyth" wrote:

Chancery Lane, Cannon Street and Temple.

Seems like there used to considerably more. Lancaster Gate used to be closed on
Sundays IIRC.
Forum: London Transport February 12th 05, 08:42 PM
Replies: 25
Tube stations closed on Sundays

"name" wrote:

Does anybody know a list of them?

If you go to the TTfL web site http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/ and look at the first &
last trains schedule for each line, Sunday...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 26

Forum Jump