Showing results 1 to 25 of 294
Search took 0.10 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: alex_t
Forum: London Transport May 26th 08, 08:37 PM
Replies: 24
Posted By alex_t
Stratford to Deptford Bridge

STRATFORD - LEWISHAM: Every 5 minutes
CANARY WHARF - LEWISHAM: Every 10 minutes
TOWER GATEWAY - BECKTON: Every 7 minutes
BANK - KING GEORGE V: Every 4 minutes

I think this is the best STRATFORD -...
Forum: London Transport May 26th 08, 08:29 PM
Replies: 57
Posted By alex_t
Venezuela oil deal to end - BBC

Good on him for cancelling the shameful deal!
Forum: London Transport May 26th 08, 03:22 PM
Replies: 24
Posted By alex_t
Stratford to Deptford Bridge

I need to get from Stratford to Deptford Bridge tomorrow, TfL website
seems to imply taking the DLR and changing at Canary wharf, does the
DLR not run direct from Stratford to Deptford...
Forum: London Transport May 20th 08, 11:50 PM
Replies: 21
Posted By alex_t
Banglatown: calls to rename East End station

As far as I remember there are some other sizeable minorities living
in Spitalfields/Shoreditch, so it is also a bit discriminatory
suggestion.

Are we going to rename the 4 stations on Oxford...
Forum: London Transport May 20th 08, 09:33 PM
Replies: 14
Posted By alex_t
Bank Interchange

They will lie to you.

Wow, this is quite nasty...
Forum: London Transport May 20th 08, 09:15 PM
Replies: 21
Posted By alex_t
Banglatown: calls to rename East End station

Calls to rename East End station

A proposal has been made to change the name of a revamped station due
to open in the East End in two years time.

Shoreditch High Street station will open as part of...
Forum: London Transport May 12th 08, 10:23 AM
Replies: 195
Posted By alex_t
Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

ý is pronounced as English "shch" ("sh" + "ch" quickly)

"y" is "oo". The shch sound is signified by that strange looking W
letter they nicked from hebrew (apparently).

The letter which I...
Forum: London Transport May 11th 08, 02:08 PM
Replies: 195
Posted By alex_t
Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

Pass! I would imagine that your operating system, if it's modern, is using
unicode internally, that your newsreader is using unicode represented as
UTF-8 (as you said), but that before it goes...
Forum: London Transport May 11th 08, 12:08 AM
Replies: 195
Posted By alex_t
Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

When you say "russian X", you mean "russian letter that looks like an X",
right?

Yep, exactly. I was trying to be clever and avoid encoding
problems ;-)

Yup. For those who kan't see KOI8...
Forum: London Transport May 10th 08, 05:49 PM
Replies: 195
Posted By alex_t
Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

I found Central Moscow very friendly to those of us only fluent in the
latin alphabet. The one exception was the Landing Card at the airport,
which is only available in Russian. I did think the...
Forum: London Transport May 10th 08, 05:45 PM
Replies: 195
Posted By alex_t
Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

Ah, maybe, but isn't there generally exactly one latin character
corresponding to one cyrillic character, even if not the ones that
look similar?

Not exactly, it is usually much more...
Forum: London Transport May 10th 08, 05:36 PM
Replies: 195
Posted By alex_t
Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

Its everywhere in advertising and most russians learn the latin
alphabet at school.

You won't find latin alphabet used a lot unless you are looking at
advertising specifically targeted at...
Forum: London Transport May 10th 08, 05:32 PM
Replies: 195
Posted By alex_t
Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

I think there is almost a one-to-one translation between cyrillic and
latin characters, so it's nothing like the leap that one has to make
to understand Japanese.

It is certainly not as...
Forum: London Transport May 10th 08, 02:11 PM
Replies: 195
Posted By alex_t
Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

The latin alphabet is used frequently in russia

Russia uses Cyrillic alphabet and latin alphabet is used very rarely
(the only related example I can think about is tiny transcriptions of
station...
Forum: London Transport May 9th 08, 11:13 AM
Replies: 195
Posted By alex_t
Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

Care to say something on the point you've ignored?

Really? I never saw that. Care to provide a link because I can't find
anything about it. Did they manage to clone the magnetic strip too or
Forum: London Transport May 8th 08, 08:57 PM
Replies: 195
Posted By alex_t
Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

Yes. I've had bad experiences with direct debit in the past and TfL/LU
have proven themselves time and time again to be incompetant and I
don't need the hassle of either my details being nicked...
Forum: London Transport May 8th 08, 04:48 PM
Replies: 195
Posted By alex_t
Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

I don't generally have one when I'm out and about.

Well, I don't know, you could check before going out - I mean, tens of
thousands of people somehow manage that.
Forum: London Transport May 8th 08, 04:47 PM
Replies: 195
Posted By alex_t
Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

A) I don't use it enough to make it worthwhile.

It would occasionally save you the difference between cash and Oyster
fares - makes sense if it is a frequent problem for you.

B) If you think...
Forum: London Transport May 8th 08, 11:01 AM
Replies: 195
Posted By alex_t
Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

No excuse at all , because obviously I always carry a laptop around
with me wherever I go. Why didn't I think of logging on when I was
standing in that bus queue? Must've just slipped my...
Forum: London Transport May 8th 08, 10:24 AM
Replies: 195
Posted By alex_t
Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

Oh , its bank holiday and they're closed.

Or you will register your card and check your balance online - Oyster
website is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. No excuse now, eh?
Forum: London Transport May 6th 08, 04:53 PM
Replies: 195
Posted By alex_t
Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

If its not by spite then what is the purpose exactly? Faster boarding
times hardly apply to the tube - you don't pay on the train!

Yes, in this case you have faster entry times at stations, as...
Forum: London Transport May 4th 08, 08:44 PM
Replies: 69
Posted By alex_t
If Boris does win as now expected

If you're referring to me then probably not a lot in the short term. Who
knows what 18 months will bring.

Well, for what its worth - I hope it won't change for the worse!
Forum: London Transport May 2nd 08, 10:24 PM
Replies: 69
Posted By alex_t
If Boris does win as now expected

Johnson says that TfL senior management is paid too much and needs to be
shaken up. If I were them, I would be looking for new jobs.

I wonder what that means for a certain LUL manager who posts...
Forum: London Transport April 22nd 08, 09:06 PM
Replies: 17
Posted By alex_t
Windows Live Local dimprovement

They have got rid of the old vector map they used, and replaced it with
raster maps, presumably the old Multimap ones. While I don't dislike the new
maps, we used to have the choice of vector...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 294

Forum Jump