Old May 19th 08, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bank Interchange

For several weeks, we've been told that there is *no interchange* at
Bank-Monument except for between Northern and DLR.

The drivers on the Northern Line have certainly been labouring this point,
with frequent announcements, often not particularly useful, about where to
change for other lines.

However... on Friday, i completely forgot about this, and got off the
Central at Bank... and was able to walk, in the conventional way down the
spiral staircase, to the Northern Line. And so were a good few other
passengers. No locked doors, no sign of any reason why we shouldn't be
changing, and just a couple of signs (to the District/CIrcle and DLR) with
stickers over them.

Is this a case telling the stupid public one thing, but doing another,
perhaps so as not to encourage extra traffic at the station? Or is it
possible to go Central-Northern but not vice versa, so they are keeping
quiet about it so as not to confuse folks?

What has not been explained is why replacing the escalator from Monument to
the Northern Line platforms should affect Northern-Central interchange. Has
that interchange actually been closed at all?

Have i been wasting my time changing needlessly at Moorgate every week just
because I accepted service information at face value?

BTW, some of the 'alternate arrangements' advice given is absolute crap.
This morning I heard 'Change at Kennington for the Charing Cross branch and
then at TCR for the Central'. If someone wanting to go to from South to East
had followed that, they would have gone way out of their way.

And for anyone exiting the Central, and wanting the westbound
circle/district, getting out at Bank and walking to Cannon Street is surely
there best option, but this is never advertised.

BTN

Old May 19th 08, 05:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"Sir Benjamin Nunn" wrote in message
For several weeks, we've been told that there is *no interchange* at
Bank-Monument except for between Northern and DLR.

However... on Friday, i completely forgot about this, and got off the
Central at Bank... and was able to walk, in the conventional way down the
spiral staircase, to the Northern Line. And so were a good few other
passengers. No locked doors, no sign of any reason why we shouldn't be
changing, and just a couple of signs (to the District/CIrcle and DLR) with
stickers over them.

Not sure, I go that way usually several times a week and have never had a
problem with central to bank or to WL&C/DLR - I only use the Bank half of
the complex though.

I think its to stop the chaos in the morning's/evening.

Old May 19th 08, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

At 17:29:15 on Mon, 19 May 2008 Sir Benjamin Nunn opined:-

And for anyone exiting the Central, and wanting the westbound
circle/district, getting out at Bank and walking to Cannon Street is
surely there best option, but this is never advertised.

They often don't mention the best or obvious choice. E.g. when
recently Queensway on the Central was closed, they laid on a special
bus. No mention that changing onto the District or Central to
Bayswater, which is just up the road from Queensway.
--
Thoss
Old May 19th 08, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 May, 17:29, "Sir Benjamin Nunn" wrote:
Is this a case telling the stupid public one thing, but doing another,
perhaps so as not to encourage extra traffic at the station? Or is it
possible to go Central-Northern but not vice versa, so they are keeping
quiet about it so as not to confuse folks?

Got it in one. The station is completely open at the north end
(Central Line/W&C).

(they've since produced a more honest and friendly brochure that's
only available at the Bank ticket hall, with the harsh leaflet/message
given to everyone else)

What has not been explained is why replacing the escalator from Monument to
the Northern Line platforms should affect Northern-Central interchange. Has
that interchange actually been closed at all?

Because they want fewer passengers to come to the station while the
work is in progress. The north end of the station was completely
closed up for the first few days.

Have i been wasting my time changing needlessly at Moorgate every week just
because I accepted service information at face value?

Absolutely.

You could do worse than read my posts on the subject, particularly 31
March (the first day), 2 April (the official explanation) and 26 April
(the future work schedule):
http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...=bank+monument

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old May 19th 08, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Sir Benjamin Nunn" wrote in message
For several weeks, we've been told that there is *no interchange* at
Bank-Monument except for between Northern and DLR.

Is this a case telling the stupid public one thing, but doing another,
perhaps so as not to encourage extra traffic at the station? Or is it
possible to go Central-Northern but not vice versa, so they are keeping
quiet about it so as not to confuse folks?

Have i been wasting my time changing needlessly at Moorgate every week
just because I accepted service information at face value?

Mr Thant's blog has a good bit of background reading on the situation - I
think your suggestion that things are not as black as painted is reasonable,
with the caveat that you might find the possible access changing week by
week...

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/search/label/Bank

Paul

Old May 19th 08, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On May 19, 6:00*pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:
"Sir Benjamin Nunn" wrote in ...

For several weeks, we've been told that there is *no interchange* at
Bank-Monument except for between Northern and DLR.
However... on Friday, i completely forgot about this, and got off the
Central at Bank... and was able to walk, in the conventional way down the
spiral staircase, to the Northern Line. And so were a good few other
passengers. No locked doors, no sign of any reason why we shouldn't be
changing, and just a couple of signs (to the District/CIrcle and DLR) with
stickers over them.

Not sure, I go that way usually several times a week and have never had a
problem with central to bank or to WL&C/DLR - I only use the Bank half of
the complex though.

I think its to stop the chaos in the morning's/evening.

In the mornings it seems to work fine with the one-way escalator from
DLR, stairs via Northern Line to DLR.

But it can be difficult in the evening if there is a gap in the
Northern Line service and the platform is full. I think it would be
better to reverse one of the DLR escalators in the evening rush hour
making that route two-way.
Old May 19th 08, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"Paul Scott" wrote in message
Mr Thant's blog has a good bit of background reading on the situation - I
think your suggestion that things are not as black as painted is
reasonable, with the caveat that you might find the possible access
changing week by week...

And this is why I still enquire every now and again when I'm doing an 'odd'
journey or going against the flow to make sure I can still use the complex,
or change elsewhere.

Old May 19th 08, 08:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 19, 5:29 pm, "Sir Benjamin Nunn" wrote:

What has not been explained is why replacing the escalator from Monument to
the Northern Line platforms should affect Northern-Central interchange. Has
that interchange actually been closed at all?

But they're not replacing the escalator from Monument to the Northern
Line. Not at the moment, anyway. You can pass freely between the two
in either direction.

However the direct escalator from Monument down to the DLR is
completely closed.

PaulO
Old May 19th 08, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On May 19, 9:13*pm, Paul Oter wrote:
On May 19, 5:29 pm, "Sir Benjamin Nunn" wrote:

What has not been explained is why replacing the escalator from Monument to
the Northern Line platforms should affect Northern-Central interchange. Has
that interchange actually been closed at all?

But they're not replacing the escalator from Monument to the Northern
Line. Not at the moment, anyway. You can pass freely between the two
in either direction.

However the direct escalator from Monument down to the DLR is
completely closed.

Given that the purpose of the closing the interchange between Central
and Northern/DLR was to make use of the station so unbearable that
people would stay away (despite having no choice from the DLR), who
knows what might be closed next.
Old May 20th 08, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"MIG" wrote in message
On May 19, 9:13 pm, Paul Oter wrote:
On May 19, 5:29 pm, "Sir Benjamin Nunn" wrote:

What has not been explained is why replacing the escalator from Monument
the Northern Line platforms should affect Northern-Central interchange.
Has
that interchange actually been closed at all?

But they're not replacing the escalator from Monument to the Northern
Line. Not at the moment, anyway. You can pass freely between the two
in either direction.

However the direct escalator from Monument down to the DLR is
completely closed.

Given that the purpose of the closing the interchange between Central
and Northern/DLR was to make use of the station so unbearable that
people would stay away (despite having no choice from the DLR), who
knows what might be closed next.

Or you could always ask a member of staff for advice?