Old January 25th 12, 10:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

On Jan 25, 12:02*pm, Graeme Wall wrote:

The Brussels pre-metro platforms have a sunken centre section for the
trams. *Is this to enable the easy provision of high level platforms
if/when the lines are converted to full metro operation?

Sorry, I don't know - though I don't see any reason why a "full" metro
shouldn't be low-floor low-platform.

Indeed, the LUL "deep Tube" uses lower platforms than the mainline...

Neil

Old January 25th 12, 10:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 25/01/2012 11:36, Neil Williams wrote:
On Jan 25, 12:02 pm, Graeme wrote:

The Brussels pre-metro platforms have a sunken centre section for the
trams. Is this to enable the easy provision of high level platforms
if/when the lines are converted to full metro operation?

Sorry, I don't know - though I don't see any reason why a "full" metro
shouldn't be low-floor low-platform.

In the Brussels case so it will match the existing Metro system.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old January 25th 12, 11:19 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 25/01/2012 10:47, Neil Williams wrote:
On Jan 25, 11:35 am,
wrote:

Are there any low platforms in the UK now, besides heritage lines?

Not many. The S&C I'm pretty sure has a few fairly low ones, as does
the Conwy Valley. Probably some of the more remote Scottish stations
as well - though I recall Altnabreac being full-height I think.

Neil

I've gone from Queen Street all the way to Fort William, and all the
platforms were full-height.
Old January 25th 12, 11:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

In uk.railway Colin Youngs twisted the electrons to say:
"Miles Bader" schreef
: [I'm not sure if it's connected, but Japanese CCs are also _much_
: stingier about extending credit past the end of the month -- you
: _can't_ just decide to pay off your card bill a bit more slowly if you
: realize you're a bit skint this month
Same in Belgium. When I get my monthly credit card bill, I must pay the
outstanding amount on the card in full. Each new month must start with a
zero balance.

Same in Austria. Confused my (ex)girlfriend a bit when her first credit
card statement arrived and there was no section saying "You must pay $EUROS
by $DATE".
Old January 25th 12, 12:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

"Neil Williams" schreef
I think many cities with pre-metros just have low platforms throughout
so either permanent steps or low-floor trams. Certainly true of Den
Haag.
_______________

... and Brussels.

Modern low floor trams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E4Ed...ure=plpp_video

Old trams with steps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0WXy0nWAzY

Colin Youngs
Brussels

Old January 25th 12, 12:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

"Graeme Wall" schreef

: The Brussels pre-metro platforms have a sunken centre section for the
: trams. Is this to enable the easy provision of high level platforms
: if/when the lines are converted to full metro operation?

Yes.

Colin Youngs
Brussels

Old January 25th 12, 12:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

"Neil Williams" schreef

On Jan 25, 12:02 pm, Graeme Wall wrote:
The Brussels pre-metro platforms have a sunken centre section for the
trams. Is this to enable the easy provision of high level platforms
if/when the lines are converted to full metro operation?

Sorry, I don't know - though I don't see any reason why a "full" metro
shouldn't be low-floor low-platform.
_____________________

Yes - they were designed like that for that reason (at least in part).
When the first metros were introduced in 1976, they were of a high platform
design.

Colin Youngs
Brussels

Old January 25th 12, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:02:52 -0600,
wrote:

In article ,
(Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 12:57:51 on Tue, 24
Jan 2012,
d remarked:
FWIW one doesn't get pay-to-use trolleys at Waitrose. You must shop at
some right chavvy places

Oddly enough, the first place I ever encountered them was at the
Waitrose in Wokingham! Although it was a Safeway at the time.

ASDA complained to me that they had been made to add coin ops to their
trolleys by the council. More likely so many were being taken off site that
it was the only way they could stop the council fining them for recovery.

"Borrowing" still goes on in our area - the fancy magnetic stuff
presents no challenge to the borrowers, it only serves to jam wheels
for everyone else. The 1 quid coin op has meant no more chariots
released into the wilds of the car park, to stop and scratch where
they desire. That is of far more value to me than the intention to
prevent them wandering far. If someone is too lazy to reclaim their
sov, someone else will do it for them. Just like the inebriated
prowling the street bins of Scandinavian countries for bottles to get
the deposit money. Free market in action! How can we apply this to
bankers?

Sainsbury's coin ops have a ¤1/£1 slot but the ¤1 won't fit. However
the 20ct does the trick. This exchange rate would really suit me too.

--
Old anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com appears broke
So back to cmylod at bigfoot dot com
Old January 25th 12, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:23:45 on
Wed, 25 Jan 2012, Colum Mylod remarked:
Sainsbury's coin ops have a €1/£1 slot but the €1 won't fit. However
the 20ct does the trick. This exchange rate would really suit me too.

I generally use a 1 LTL (Lithuanian) which is currently worth about 24p.
But I always reclaim it .
Old January 25th 12, 02:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 25-Jan-12 02:14, Roland Perry wrote:
In message e.net, at
07:47:43 on Wed, 25 Jan 2012, Mark Goodge
remarked:
At least in US parlance, a "credit card" is linked to a "revolving"
credit account, i.e. you are not required to pay the full balance every
month. A "charge card" is linked to a credit account that is _not_
revolving.

For completeness, a "debit card" is one linked to a deposit account, and
a "payment card" is the generic form for any of the three types.

UK terminology is the same.

Although a "deposit account" is the UK term for a long term savings
account, and most people will only have a debit card linked to checking
(aka current) account.

At least in US parlance, a "deposit account" is a checking, savings or
time deposit account. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deposit_account