Old April 2nd 12, 07:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default Cell phones, British dials

Would you know if the British railway system ever had radio phones for
use by passengers as premier American trains did?

They were introduced at about the same time that the original analogue
cellular 'phones were starting to become generally available, but not
many people had them. *The ones I saw, on the 125 mph Diesel High
Speed Trains, probably around the early to mid '80s took only BT
Phonecards, not cash.

Not sure but I think Bomo line 4Reps had them for a while in the RB.

--
Nick

Old April 2nd 12, 11:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default Telephone line numbers, prefixes, and area codes

On 31/03/2012 02:51, wrote:
On Mar 30, 4:08 pm, "Adam H. wrote:
were built into automobiles and communicated with base stations with
much longer ranges than transponders on cell towers.

P.S. In the US in the late 1940s, radio phones became available for
automobiles. They were also available on major trains.

Couldn't of been cheap at that time.
Old April 2nd 12, 11:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 02-Apr-12 17:11, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
wrote:
The analog cell phones of that era supposedly could be switched beteween
the A and B carrier, though I think in practice very people did so.

Hm? Even though the prefix was used to route the inbound call to the
correct cellular network?

My AMPS phones all had menu options controlling whether to prefer A or B
towers, allow roaming to the other one, etc. You couldn't port your
number from one carrier to another at the time, but at least you could
keep your (expensive) phone when switching.

Such settings are generally absent from phones today--and wouldn't do
much good in many cases due to the use of mutually incompatible
protocols (CDMA, GSM, iDEN, etc.). Even between two carriers using the
same protocol, carriers generally "lock" the phones they sell so they
can't be used on another's network; this is the price of getting "free"
or heavily-discounted phones when signing a service contract--but it
also means millions of phones (and their toxic batteries) go into
landfills every year.

Old April 2nd 12, 11:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Stephen Furley wrote:

On some stations there's a railway 'phone in a metal box, with a
notice saying that it can be used by passengers to contact the
signaller to obtain information about train running. I've seen these
at stations on the Settle-Carlisle line, which runs through some very
remote areas for example.

The first series of Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys showed a
level grade crossing near a station with a sign and a phone requesting that
individuals crossing with animals call before crossing the track.