Old April 24th 12, 11:58 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default A Stock Finale

On Apr 24, 9:45*am, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Guy Gorton" wrote

When I was a regular user many years ago, there were fasts to
Uxbridge, first stop from Baker Street was Rayners Lane. *Morning
fasts non-stop Rayners Lane to Baker Street. *My destination was Baker
Street but I think I remember that the fasts in both directions were
City trains.

Into the 1970s in the peaks Amersham and Chesham fasts ran non-stop from
Moor Park to Finchley Road, and there were Watfords fast from North Harrow
as well as the Uxbridges fast from Rayners Lane. All these ran to the City
(Amershams and Cheshams terminated in the long-lost bay at Liverpool
Street). There were a few Uxbridge stoppers which ran to Aldgate, but all
other stoppers terminated at Baker Street. Off-peak and weekends everything
terminated at Baker Street. Didn't they split and run as 4-cars off-peak?

Yes, I recall the short trains. The four car units had cabs at both
ends. The three car units had a cab at one end. Daytime services
were four car only.

Old April 24th 12, 12:12 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"77002" wrote

Yes, I recall the short trains. The four car units had cabs at both
ends. The three car units had a cab at one end. Daytime services
were four car only.

AIUI the A stock were always in 4-car sets and originally had operative cabs
at both ends. Until quite recently a few units were kept with operative cabs
at both ends, to work the Chesham branch diagram, and they were also used in
4-car formation when they worked the East London Line. But for many years
most units have had an operative cab at one end only, so have been used
exclusively in 8-car formation.

Peter

Old April 24th 12, 12:13 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 04:58:16 -0700 (PDT), 77002
wrote:

[...]

All the A stock trains were either 4 or 8-car (no 3-car units). I seem
to recall that the 4-car double-ended unit trains ran mainly at
weekends (in the 1970s, I lived in a flat that had a distant view of
the Met line).
Old April 24th 12, 12:41 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:12:09 +0100
"Peter Masson" wrote:
4-car formation when they worked the East London Line. But for many years
most units have had an operative cab at one end only, so have been used
exclusively in 8-car formation.

When you say only one operative , do you mean the other didn't work at all
or just didn't have the equipment to be used in passenger service but could
still be used to move the train in an emergency?

B2003

Old April 24th 12, 12:47 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:13:46 on
Tue, 24 Apr 2012, Recliner remarked:
All the A stock trains were either 4 or 8-car (no 3-car units). I seem
to recall that the 4-car double-ended unit trains ran mainly at
weekends (in the 1970s, I lived in a flat that had a distant view of
the Met line).

I used A-stock to get to London and back (often outside normal commuting
hours) in the 90's, and don't recall ever seeing a short unit.

Old April 24th 12, 01:05 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Apr 24, 1:47*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:13:46 on
Tue, 24 Apr 2012, Recliner remarked:

All the A stock trains were either 4 or 8-car (no 3-car units). I seem
to recall that the 4-car double-ended unit trains ran mainly at
weekends (in the 1970s, I lived in a flat that had a distant view of
the Met line).

I used A-stock to get to London and back (often outside normal commuting
hours) in the 90's, and don't recall ever seeing a short unit.

My recollections are from the 1970s Roland.
Old April 24th 12, 01:11 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:47:46 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 13:13:46 on
Tue, 24 Apr 2012, Recliner remarked:
All the A stock trains were either 4 or 8-car (no 3-car units). I seem
to recall that the 4-car double-ended unit trains ran mainly at
weekends (in the 1970s, I lived in a flat that had a distant view of
the Met line).

I used A-stock to get to London and back (often outside normal commuting
hours) in the 90's, and don't recall ever seeing a short unit.

I think 4-car usage stopped by then on the mainline (ie, excluding the
Chesham shuttle and ELL). Uncoupling went out of fashion on LU by the
1980s.
Old April 24th 12, 01:31 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Apr 24, 1:12*pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"77002" wrote

Yes, I recall the short trains. *The four car units had cabs at both
ends. *The three car units had a cab at one end. *Daytime services
were four car only.

AIUI the A stock were always in 4-car sets and originally had operative cabs
at both ends. Until quite recently a few units were kept with operative cabs
at both ends, to work the Chesham branch diagram, and they were also used in
4-car formation when they worked the East London Line. But for many years
most units have had an operative cab at one end only, so have been used
exclusively in 8-car formation.

Thank you for the correction Peter.

In the late seventys I was privalidged to have an extended visit to
Neasden Depot. I remember some discussion about 3 car and four car
sets. I wonder if this may have related to Bakerloo Line stock.
Old April 24th 12, 01:43 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Apr 24, 1:12*pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"77002" wrote

Yes, I recall the short trains. *The four car units had cabs at both
ends. *The three car units had a cab at one end. *Daytime services
were four car only.

AIUI the A stock were always in 4-car sets and originally had operative cabs
at both ends. Until quite recently a few units were kept with operative cabs
at both ends, to work the Chesham branch diagram, and they were also used in
4-car formation when they worked the East London Line. But for many years
most units have had an operative cab at one end only, so have been used
exclusively in 8-car formation.

Thank you for the correction Peter.
In the late seventies I was privileged to have an extended visit to

Old April 24th 12, 02:21 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 24/04/2012 14:05, 77002 wrote:
On Apr 24, 1:47 pm, Roland wrote:
In , at 13:13:46 on
Tue, 24 Apr 2012, remarked:

All the A stock trains were either 4 or 8-car (no 3-car units). I seem
to recall that the 4-car double-ended unit trains ran mainly at
weekends (in the 1970s, I lived in a flat that had a distant view of
the Met line).

I used A-stock to get to London and back (often outside normal commuting
hours) in the 90's, and don't recall ever seeing a short unit.

My recollections are from the 1970s Roland.

I used to see them at Amersham on my way to school when they were first
introduced. I don't recall any short sets but I only saw them weekdays.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

A Stock Finale 77002 London Transport 1 April 24th 12 08:49 PM
Tour of Britain finale crowns London's biggest day of cycling TravelBot London Transport News 0 August 28th 06 08:24 AM
TfL / NLL / Metronet surface stock / tube stock / Croxley link John B London Transport 4 March 8th 06 09:51 PM
1938 Stock on Uxbridge 100 and T Stock? Matthew P Jones London Transport 17 July 8th 04 09:17 AM
Crossrail and Maryland, the finale Jonn Elledge London Transport 6 October 24th 03 07:10 AM