Old July 25th 13, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default NB4L production buses

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 09:18:55 +0000, spud-u-dont-like wrote:

When cyclists pay road tax for their bikes then they can have a say in
how the roads are laid out and what they share them with. Until then
they can put up or shut up.

Since "paying road tax" is the important factor, do low-CO2 cars, older
cars, and disabled drivers somehow carry lower priority in your view?

No.

So the whole "pay road tax" thing is a red herring, then. Glad we're
agreed.

Old July 25th 13, 12:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:39:13 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

And unless there are lots of bikes costing £5k, then the majority of
drivers paid more VAT than the cyclists, when the items were new.

I'd suggest that the vast majority of drivers paid no VAT at all on
their cars. I've certainly never paid VAT on a car purchase - and I've
had several brand new cars.

How did you manage that?

Simple.

No VAT is payable on used cars, unless they've come straight from an
unbroken chain of VAT-registered businesses from new.

I didn't buy the new cars, they were leased company cars, bought by a VAT-
registered business. So the VAT was promptly reclaimed, and would have
been charged when the car was sold again.

The only person to pay VAT on any car is the first _private_ (or non-VAT-
reg business) owner.
Old July 25th 13, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 14:25:04 -0500, rosenstiel wrote:

There hasn't been any road fund licence for decades either. The renewal
reminder sitting in front of me says "tax disc".

If we're going to be pedantic about terminology, it's actually called
"Vehicle Excise Duty"
Old July 25th 13, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 06:57:04PM +0000, Adrian wrote:

There are bicycles out there on which the purchaser would pay a
considerably higher amount of VAT than they could on a new car.

Really? There exists a bicycle with a price tag over a million quid?

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

Disappointment:
n: No results found for "priapic dwarf custard wrestling".
Old July 25th 13, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:29:54 on Thu, 25 Jul
2013, Adrian remarked:
I've certainly never paid VAT on a car purchase - and I've
had several brand new cars.

How did you manage that?

Simple.

No VAT is payable on used cars, unless they've come straight from an
unbroken chain of VAT-registered businesses from new.

I didn't buy the new cars, they were leased company cars, bought by a VAT-
registered business. So the VAT was promptly reclaimed, and would have
been charged when the car was sold again.

The only person to pay VAT on any car is the first _private_ (or non-VAT-
reg business) owner.

So your justification for saying you've never paid VAT on a car purchase
it that you've never purchased a car. That's a humdinger, even for
usenet.

ps According to the HMR&C site you'll have been paying 50% of the VAT on
the leasing charge.