Old May 23rd 05, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Default Unicycles on the London Underground

On Mon, 23 May 2005 19:31:07 GMT someone who may be "Malcolm & Nika"
wrote this:-

Dont have to search a rule book...its basic knowledge in training,

Ah, basic knowledge. Pardon me while I laugh.

They are banned underground for safety and comfort reasons.

What are banned precisely?

If unicycles are banned then presumably the much larger rucksacks
are also banned. If not, why not?

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Old May 23rd 05, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

wrote this:-

Dont have to search a rule book...its basic knowledge in training,

Ah, basic knowledge. Pardon me while I laugh.

They are banned underground for safety and comfort reasons.

What are banned precisely?

If unicycles are banned then presumably the much larger rucksacks
are also banned. If not, why not?

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000

Laugh????? Why is that then?

Ok so you want them banned also????? ...perhaps you would like to ban
children in peak time? Or guide dogs? What about those pesky other paying
people....you could have a car all to yourself if they weren't on as
well.......

Old May 23rd 05, 08:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:30:05 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote in message
:

Can you take a unicycle on the London Underground?

I would think you are honour bound to try it, if only to wind up the
peaked cap brigade!

Guy

Keep up.....caps are no longer a part of the uniform.

Mal

Old May 23rd 05, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On Mon, 23 May 2005 20:57:55 GMT someone who may be "Malcolm & Nika"
wrote this:-

Ah, basic knowledge. Pardon me while I laugh.

Laugh????? Why is that then?

I regard it in much the same way as I regard common sense.

If unicycles are banned then presumably the much larger rucksacks
are also banned. If not, why not?

Ok so you want them banned also????? ...perhaps you would like to ban
children in peak time? Or guide dogs? What about those pesky other paying
people....you could have a car all to yourself if they weren't on as
well.......

I note that you did not answer the question.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old May 23rd 05, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Malcolm & Nika wrote:

Dont have to search a rule book...its basic knowledge in training,
They are banned underground for safety and comfort reasons.

Non existent training I'd say:

"You can take an unfolded bicycle with you free of charge on certain
sections of the London Underground (see below).

You cannot travel between the hours of 07:30 - 09:30, and 16:00 - 19:00,
from Monday to Friday (except public holidays).

Bicycles must not be taken on moving escalators, the Victoria Line or
the Waterloo & City Line.

Tube line information for cyclists
Circle line, District line, Metropolitan line, East London line,
Hammersmith & City line
Bicycles permitted on all sections.

Bakerloo line
Bicycles may be taken in the direction from Queen's Park to Harrow &
Wealdstone in the morning peak and vice versa in the evening peak.

Central line
Bicycles may be taken between White City to West Ruislip/Ealing
Broadway. Leyton to Epping. Newbury Park/Woodford to Hainault.

Jubilee line
Bicycles permitted between Finchley Road Stanmore and Canning Town -
Stratford."
Source: TfL

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)

Old May 23rd 05, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

What are banned precisely?

If unicycles are banned then presumably the much larger rucksacks
are also banned. If not, why not?

snippity

Ok so you want them banned also?????

I think he mentioned them as a way of highlighting the idiocy of banning
a unicycle...

perhaps you would like to ban
children in peak time? Or guide dogs? What about those pesky other
paying people....you could have a car all to yourself if they weren't
on as well.......

....in the same way as you mentioned that lot to highlight the idiocy of
banning rucksacks.
Old May 23rd 05, 10:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Mark Thompson wrote:

What are banned precisely?

If unicycles are banned then presumably the much larger rucksacks
are also banned. If not, why not?

snippity

Ok so you want them banned also?????

I think he mentioned them as a way of highlighting the idiocy of
banning a unicycle...

Why?

Do rucksacks also have hardened steel sharp bits sticking out and/or covered
in black grease as well?

Old May 23rd 05, 10:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Clive George wrote:

"JNugent" wrote:

I think he mentioned them as a way of highlighting the idiocy of
banning a unicycle...

Why?

Do rucksacks also have hardened steel sharp bits sticking out and/or
covered in black grease as well?

Do unicycles?

If they operate in the same way as bicycles, the answer must be "yes".

Not that you see too many of them.

Old May 23rd 05, 10:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

JNugent wrote:

Do rucksacks also have hardened steel sharp bits sticking out and/or covered
in black grease as well?

I don't know about rucksacks but pushchairs do. OTOH my bicycle doesn't.