Old May 24th 05, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Default Unicycles on the London Underground

Ian Smith wrote:

On Tue, 24 May 2005, JNugent wrote:
Ian Smith wrote:

Oh, _road_dirt_? You mentioned hardened steel spikes meaning that
well-known sub-class of hardened steel spikes, "road dirt". Or is
"road dirt" a superset of hardened steel spikes? I forget.
Whatever.

Road dirt. The stuff that fouls translucent grease and turns it
black, as it does to most of what it comes into contact with, not
excluding clothing.

Really? I did actually have some vague notion about what you might
mean by the term. What I'm more confused about is why, if road dirt
is what upsets you, you decided to start the conversation by
complaining about non-existent hardened steel spikes.

Yes... "spikes" was a bit OTT.

I should have made it clearer that I was referring to cogs. Not quite
spikes, but still hard and fairly pointy. And almost always greasy and dirty
(relative to clothing).

Old May 24th 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

JNugent wrote:

Ian Smith wrote:
JNugent wrote:
Ian Smith wrote:

Oh, _road_dirt_? You mentioned hardened steel spikes meaning that
well-known sub-class of hardened steel spikes, "road dirt". Or is
"road dirt" a superset of hardened steel spikes? I forget.
Whatever.

Road dirt. The stuff that fouls translucent grease and turns it
black, as it does to most of what it comes into contact with, not
excluding clothing.

Really? I did actually have some vague notion about what you might
mean by the term. What I'm more confused about is why, if road dirt
is what upsets you, you decided to start the conversation by
complaining about non-existent hardened steel spikes.

Yes... "spikes" was a bit OTT.
I should have made it clearer that I was referring to cogs. Not quite
spikes, but still hard and fairly pointy. And almost always greasy
and dirty (relative to clothing).

....and in fact, I *did* make it clear!

Re-reading the post you refer to, I am reminded that I made no mention of
"spikes", but of "hardened steel sharp bits".

Hmm...

Old May 24th 05, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Ian Smith wrote:

JNugent wrote:
Ian Smith wrote:

Oh, _road_dirt_? You mentioned hardened steel spikes meaning that
well-known sub-class of hardened steel spikes, "road dirt". Or is
"road dirt" a superset of hardened steel spikes? I forget.
Whatever.

Road dirt. The stuff that fouls translucent grease and turns it
black, as it does to most of what it comes into contact with, not
excluding clothing.

Really? I did actually have some vague notion about what you might
mean by the term. What I'm more confused about is why, if road dirt
is what upsets you, you decided to start the conversation by
complaining about non-existent hardened steel spikes.

You are wrong.

If you care to re-read the relevant posts, you will see that the
"non-existent" thing is any mention of "spikes" (except by your good self).
If unicycles have no hardened steel parts (or bits), please accept my
apologies (though I don't think it will be necessary).

Old May 24th 05, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

You admitted you'd not even seen a unicycle in 30+ years. I own one.

Actually, now that I have reflected on it, that latter fact explains a lot.

I accept that the machine comes in handy in your profession - in fact, it
may have been you I saw riding that one thirty+ years ago.

Old May 24th 05, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

"JNugent" wrote in message

If you care to re-read the relevant posts, you will see that the
"non-existent" thing is any mention of "spikes" (except by your good
self).
If unicycles have no hardened steel parts (or bits), please accept my
apologies (though I don't think it will be necessary).

Which parts of a conventional bike are made of hardened steel then?

clive

Old May 24th 05, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 24 May 2005 16:50:03 +0100, "JNugent"
wrote in message
:

You obviously don't see them, or look at them then. Unicycles are
driven directly without gears, cog or a chain...
Not all of them, clearly.

Only giraffes have chains, and they are not the kind you'd use for
commuting.

But (if I read between the lines clearly) such a unicycle is the only sort I
have ever seen.

So you were posting from ignorance. What's new?

I have not seen another these last... thirty+ years?

You might be surprised how many urcers own them. Most can even ride
them...

Perhaps I would be surprised. In fact, if there are many around at all (and
you seem to be saying so), I am already surprised.

Indeed.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old May 24th 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 24 May 2005 16:52:39 +0100, "JNugent"
wrote in message
:

Whatever your views on where the balance should be struck between
the rights of cyclist passengers and the rights of pedestrian
passengers, you *can* see why bikes (and, if appropriate, unicycles)
are banned on the Underground?

Er, except they aren't.

They are.
Not *completely banned*, but there is a partial ban which is complained of
in this thread.

But *bikes* aren't banned, *non-folding* bikes are banned on *some*
lines and permitted on others some or all of the time.

Non-folding bikes are banned on deep lines,
and from subsurface lines at some times of day, folding bikes are not
restricted and there is no evidence of any restriction on unicycles.

Except for what the (assumed) LU employee said.

You think an unnamed London Underground employee is better informed
than TfL's printed conditions of carriage? It could happen, I
suppose...

Guy

Old May 24th 05, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 24 May 2005 22:05:31 +0100, "JNugent"
wrote in message
:

You admitted you'd not even seen a unicycle in 30+ years. I own one.

Actually, now that I have reflected on it, that latter fact explains a lot.
I accept that the machine comes in handy in your profession - in fact, it
may have been you I saw riding that one thirty+ years ago.

Unlikely, since 30+ years ago I was still at primary school. And I'm
sure the yike would be handy in my profession, involving as it does
regular trips to London including using the Tube, if only I could ride
it. But I can't yet, so I am using a nice new Brompton instead.

Guy

Old May 24th 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:13:59 GMT, "Malcolm & Nika"
wrote in message
:

OK...so those of you who have endured the crush on , say, the Victoria line
between Finsbury Park and Victoria, everyday at about 08:30 or any other
line for that matter, what do you suggest should be allowed on and what
should be banned? Only people who use the service should be allowed to vote.

Been there, used it. Folders and yikes, no problem, I'd say - neither
half as bad as the wheelie-cases some people use.

Guy

Old May 24th 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

in message , JNugent
') wrote:

I should have made it clearer that I was referring to cogs.

Which unicycles (other than giraffes) do not have.

;; in faecibus sapiens rheum propagabit