Old May 24th 05, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Default Unicycles on the London Underground

On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:35:40 +0100, "JNugent"
wrote in message
:

You obviously don't see them, or look at them then. Unicycles are
driven directly without gears, cog or a chain...

Not all of them, clearly.

Only giraffes have chains, and they are not the kind you'd use for
commuting.

I have not seen another these last... thirty+ years?

You might be surprised how many urcers own them. Most can even ride
them...

Is it known that any are in use as pukka transport?

Yes. Sarah Miller late of this parish commutes on one in Reading.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Old May 24th 05, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:39:08 +0100, "JNugent"
wrote in message
:

If they operate in the same way as bicycles, the answer must be
"yes".

Your ignorance is, as ever, encyclopaedic.

And as usual, you are 100% wrong.

Really? Do feel free to prove it.

You admitted you'd not even seen a unicycle in 30+ years. I own one.
They do not operate the same way as bicycles, and the answer you gave
- that this being the case they "must" be banned on the tube is in any
case wrong.

The legal definition of cycles is, in most Acts where they are
covered, "a bicycle, a tricycle or a cycle having four or more wheels
not being in any case a motor vehicle". TfL's website only refers to
restrictions on *unfolded bicycles*. In fact it says "To take a bike
on public transport *without restriction*, you need to invest in a
folding cycle" (my emphasis) which clearly implies that folding bikes
are exempt.

So what?

So your statement "the answer must be yes" is clearly false.

Unicycles have just the one wheel and no chain or handlebars.

Nut true.

Only giraffes have chains, they are not usually considered suitable
for commuting (as per the OP). I imagine someone must have tried, but
the ones I see used for commuting are all 24" or 26" wheel standard
yikes. I've seen two people commuting on 26" Munis.

And yes, there is a "unicycle" with multiple wheels. Like the
giraffe, it's a trick bike, and not for transport. And yea, I have
seen a man ride a yike pushing along a front fork and wheel with
handlebars attacked. He was a clown, not a commuter.

They
are about the same width and thickness as a folded Brompton (depending
on wheel size). A yike (unless it's a Coker or one of the bigger
Munis) is likely to be smaller than a guitar, and will have no
projecting oily bits. And of course it is not a bicycle, being short
one wheel.

Dear me. What shade of anorak do you prefer?

The OP asked a technical question. You gave an answer based on
prejudice which was wrong in every important respect. I corrected
you. Live with it.

Guy

Old May 24th 05, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:44:36 +0100, "JNugent"
wrote in message
:

Whatever your views on where the balance should be struck between the rights
of cyclist passengers and the rights of pedestrian passengers, you *can* see
why bikes (and, if appropriate, unicycles) are banned on the Underground?

Er, except they aren't. Non-folding bikes are banned on deep lines,
and from subsurface lines at some times of day, folding bikes are not
restricted and there is no evidence of any restriction on unicycles.

Guy

Old May 24th 05, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

wrote:

You obviously don't see them, or look at them then. Unicycles are
driven directly without gears, cog or a chain...

Not all of them, clearly.

Only giraffes have chains, and they are not the kind you'd use for
commuting.

But (if I read between the lines clearly) such a unicycle is the only sort I
have ever seen.

I have not seen another these last... thirty+ years?

You might be surprised how many urcers own them. Most can even ride
them...

Perhaps I would be surprised. In fact, if there are many around at all (and
you seem to be saying so), I am already surprised.

Is it known that any are in use as pukka transport?

Yes. Sarah Miller late of this parish commutes on one in Reading.

Hmmm.

OK.

Old May 24th 05, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

wrote:

Whatever your views on where the balance should be struck between
the rights of cyclist passengers and the rights of pedestrian
passengers, you *can* see why bikes (and, if appropriate, unicycles)
are banned on the Underground?

Er, except they aren't.

They are.

Not *completely banned*, but there is a partial ban which is complained of
in this thread.

Non-folding bikes are banned on deep lines,
and from subsurface lines at some times of day, folding bikes are not
restricted and there is no evidence of any restriction on unicycles.

Except for what the (assumed) LU employee said.

Old May 24th 05, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

JNugent wrote:

Is it known that any are in use as pukka transport?

I quite often see a chap riding through Stoke Newington / Dalston / Hoxton
on one. He has a beard and an excellent hat.

My only hope in life is to die before I get my comeuppence.

Old May 24th 05, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

"Malcolm & Nika" wrote in message

Keep up.....caps are no longer a part of the uniform.

My Oyster card has a cap on.

Ian

Old May 24th 05, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

"JNugent" typed

I have not seen another these last... thirty+ years?

Is it known that any are in use as pukka transport?

An 11-year-old girl cycled to school on one recently. She has her
photograph in the latest Camden New Journal.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old May 24th 05, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 24 May, JNugent wrote:
Ian Smith wrote:

Neither does my unicycle. Nor is it covered in black grease (or any
other sort of grease). There's a small amount of grease sealed within
the pedals, and an even smaller amount sealed within the cartridge
bearings.

The tyre, pedal ends and seat (ie, all extremities) are all black
rubber, so not liable to scratch dig or gouge anything.

...but still containing enough road dirt to be easily able to foul the
clothing of an adjacent passenger, perhaps on their way to a night out?

Oh, _road_dirt_? You mentioned hardened steel spikes meaning that
well-known sub-class of hardened steel spikes, "road dirt". Or is
"road dirt" a superset of hardened steel spikes? I forget. Whatever.

Yep, I agree. Loads more road dirt on pretty much all my rucksacks
than on the unicycle. I'm all for banning road dirt from the
underground.

Everyone must henceforth take off their shoes at the top of the
escalators.

Whatever your views on where the balance should be struck between
the rights of cyclist passengers and the rights of pedestrian
passengers, you *can* see why bikes (and, if appropriate, unicycles)
are banned on the Underground?

I understand some reasons. None of them are to do with hardened steel
spikes, black grease, or for that matter, road dirt.

Anyway, on the basis of my experience, it seems that there is no
restriction on the carriage of unicycles on any part of the
underground at any time.

regards, Ian SMith
Old May 24th 05, 05:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Dave Larrington wrote:

JNugent wrote:

Is it known that any are in use as pukka transport?

I quite often see a chap riding through Stoke Newington / Dalston /
Hoxton on one. He has a beard and an excellent hat.

I should think he *would* have!

At least! :-)