Old May 23rd 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Default Unicycles on the London Underground

"JNugent" wrote in message
Do rucksacks also have hardened steel sharp bits sticking out and/or
covered in black grease as well?

Do unicycles?

If they operate in the same way as bicycles, the answer must be "yes".

Well, they're a pedal driven wheeled vehicle. But does that cover your
definition of 'operated'? Because the answer is certainly "no".

Not that you see too many of them.

There's an entire internet out there full of useful information - you have
my permission to go and learn.

(never been to the circus?)

clive

Old May 23rd 05, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Clive George wrote:

(never been to the circus?)

Never read uk.transport?

:-)

James
Old May 23rd 05, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

"JNugent" typed

Why?

Do rucksacks also have hardened steel sharp bits sticking out and/or covered
in black grease as well?

Rucksacks have aluminium frames that are almost as hard. They can seem
to move in the opposite direction to their owner.

There ain't much grease on a unicycle, cos most don't have chains...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old May 23rd 05, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On Mon, 23 May 2005 21:43:32 +0100, David Hansen wrote:

What are banned precisely?

If unicycles are banned then presumably the much larger rucksacks are also
banned. If not, why not?

For crying out loud.
Bicycles are banned on the deep sections of the Tube.
Live with it.
They are allowed on sub-surface and surface lines at times when the trains
are not jam-packed.

Now, why dance on a pinhead regarding why/why not unicycles are allowed?
That's the intent of the original poster as I see it - to stir things up.
I'll come out and say it - its down to the good nature of any Tube staff
at the gates that unicycles get on the Tube.
And FFS, how many unicycles do you see in London.

Yes, rucksacks, large cases, whatever are a pain.
So would be unicycles - if ANYONE ever carried one on a Tube. I have never
seen one.
Get real folks - there are other things to get wound up about.
And if you genuinely want to transport a unicycle about the capital,
put it in a bag and smile at the Tube staff.

Here's a tale from me.
Born again cyclist a few years ago.
I make it down the Thames as far as Greenwich North station, on the Thames
path.
I try to get through the gates to the Jubilee Line home, only to be turned
away. At the time, I was in a bit of a snit.
Looking back, best thing that ever happened to me. Proved to myself I
could ride the damn thing back.
Same as the troop of Scouts we are encouraging to ride 20 miles over the
Downs.

Old May 23rd 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

"JNugent" typed

Do unicycles?

If they operate in the same way as bicycles, the answer must be "yes".

Not that you see too many of them.

You obviously don't see them, or look at them then. Unicycles are driven
directly without gears, cog or a chain...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old May 23rd 05, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

"James Annan" wrote in message
Clive George wrote:

(never been to the circus?)

Never read uk.transport?

:-)

Do we get lions on newsgroups?

cheers,
clive

Old May 23rd 05, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On Mon, 23 May 2005 19:31:07 GMT, "Malcolm & Nika"
wrote in message
:

Dont have to search a rule book...its basic knowledge in training,
They are banned underground for safety and comfort reasons. Imagine having a
a bike stuck next to you at 08:30 along with the other 500 people.

Count the wheels.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old May 23rd 05, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Response to Clive George:
(never been to the circus?)

Never read uk.transport?

:-)

Do we get lions on newsgroups?

Clowns, certainly...

--
Mark, UK

"How many things which served us yesterday as articles of faith, are
fables for us today."
Old May 23rd 05, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Clive George wrote:

"James Annan" wrote in message

Clive George wrote:

(never been to the circus?)

Never read uk.transport?

:-)

Do we get lions on newsgroups?

Clowns and the occasional unicyclist not enough?

James

Old May 23rd 05, 11:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Malcolm & Nika wrote:

Dont have to search a rule book...its basic knowledge in training,
They are banned underground for safety and comfort reasons. Imagine having a
a bike stuck next to you at 08:30 along with the other 500 people.

I'd have thought the 500 people stuck next to you were a greater
"comfort and safety" problem. But each to his own. Got to go on a
pleasant 35 minute bike ride to work now - bye.

James