Old May 24th 05, 07:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Default Unicycles on the London Underground

On Mon, 23 May 2005 20:58:53 GMT, "Malcolm & Nika"
wrote in message
:

Keep up.....caps are no longer a part of the uniform.

I could have sworn they were wearing them last week.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Old May 24th 05, 07:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Call me Bob wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:41:14 +0100, "Clive George"
wrote:

Never read uk.transport?

Do we get lions on newsgroups?

Only in Kenya!

(Forget Norway)

Nice parrots in Norway though. Although if relocated they tend to pine for
the fjords.

Old May 24th 05, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:34:41 +0100, John Hearns
wrote in message :

Bicycles are banned on the deep sections of the Tube.

Up to a point, Lord Copper. I have seen Bromptoneers with their
trusty steeds in the folded state on the deep lines.

fold - unfold - fold - unfold

no, the novelty ha not worn off yet :-)

Guy

Old May 24th 05, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:10:14 +0100, "JNugent"
wrote in message
:

If they operate in the same way as bicycles, the answer must be "yes".

Your ignorance is, as ever, encyclopaedic. They don't operate in the
same way, and the answer is not, in any case, unequivocally yes for
bicycles.

The legal definition of cycles is, in most Acts where they are
covered, "a bicycle, a tricycle or a cycle having four or more wheels
not being in any case a motor vehicle". TfL's website only refers to
restrictions on *unfolded bicycles*. In fact it says "To take a bike
on public transport *without restriction*, you need to invest in a
folding cycle" (my emphasis) which clearly implies that folding bikes
are exempt.

Unicycles have just the one wheel and no chain or handlebars. They
are about the same width and thickness as a folded Brompton (depending
on wheel size). A yike (unless it's a Coker or one of the bigger
Munis) is likely to be smaller than a guitar, and will have no
projecting oily bits. And of course it is not a bicycle, being short
one wheel.

Guy

Old May 24th 05, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Doug Faunt N6TQS
+1-510-655-8604 writes
Interestingly, the TfL website doesn't mention the Picadilly Line. Is
that covered under "access by escalator" phrase?

The actual rules are that they're not allowed in tunnels on tube lines
(using the word in the correct technical sense), including the short
tunnels on otherwise surface sections.

So for the Piccadilly, it's:
- Oakwood to Cockfosters;
- Barons Court and west, except Hounslow West to Heathrow (I *believe*
that Hounslow West station may be used).

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old May 24th 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

in message , Helen Deborah
Vecht ') wrote:

"JNugent" typed

Do unicycles?

If they operate in the same way as bicycles, the answer must be
"yes".

Not that you see too many of them.

You obviously don't see them, or look at them then. Unicycles are
driven directly without gears, cog or a chain...

Except giraffes.

Kenya, come to Kenya!

;; Generally Not Used
;; Except by Middle Aged Computer Scientists

Old May 24th 05, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

in message , John Hearns
') wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2005 21:43:32 +0100, David Hansen wrote:

What are banned precisely?

If unicycles are banned then presumably the much larger rucksacks are
also banned. If not, why not?

For crying out loud.
Bicycles are banned on the deep sections of the Tube.

That's fine. But we weren't discussing bicycles. We were discussing
unicycles.

Now, why dance on a pinhead regarding why/why not unicycles are
allowed?

But /are/ they 'not allowed'? Where does it say so, and why?

I'm not being argumentative, just interested. I don't have a unicycle,
and I wouldn't go to London if you paid me.

;; Woz: 'All the best people in life seem to like LINUX.'
;; URL:http://www.woz.org/woz/cresponses/response03.html

Old May 24th 05, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On 2005-05-23, JNugent wrote:

Do rucksacks also have hardened steel sharp bits sticking out and/or covered
in black grease as well?

One of mine does (lots of buckles, a metal frame etc). Grease-wise, it's
cotton duck (I think) covered in some stinky wax waterproofing that is wont
to smear everywhere.

It's highly amusing to use the beast on the tube, especially on a hot day
when the wax melts, smells and runs.

Regards,

-david
Old May 24th 05, 12:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

In message , Simon
Brooke writes

Except giraffes.

Kenya, come to Kenya!

Reminds me of a PA announcement I heard earlier this year:

"The next station is Bowen Hills. Change at Bowen Hills for list
omitted. If you've got anything on the seat beside you, like your
phone, or your keys, or your pet giraffe, please remember to take it
with you."

(this was in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia)
--
Eric Junkermann
Old May 24th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Clive George wrote:

"James Annan" wrote in message

Clive George wrote:

"James Annan" wrote in message

Clive George wrote:

(never been to the circus?)

Never read uk.transport?

:-)

Do we get lions on newsgroups?

Clowns and the occasional unicyclist not enough?

I was thinking a Roman style lion pit may have its uses. But what I really
want is elephants.

Last (probably only) circus I went to was all chainsaws, flamethrowers
and motorbikes. Perhaps more uk.rec.motorcycles than uk.tosspot then.

(And sabre-toothed chickens, but that's a seperate
issue).

They're as rare as hen's teeth, so I've heard.

James