Old September 1st 05, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster pre-pay penalty for incomplete journeys at NR terminals

wrote in message
ups.com...

What is an unregistered card? I have resisted getting an Oyster card
but I see that they are going to be compulsary for weekly travel cards.
Does that mean I will get stung for journies that I didn't make or
unresolved journies if the equipment fails.

An unregistered card is one where the owner has not filled in the form with
their name and address etc. The £5 penalty only applies to prepay users. If
you have a weekly season ticket it does not matter if you do not swipe in or
out as long as you are within the zones on your ticket.

Peter Smyth

Old September 1st 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin McKenzie" wrote in message
Dave Arquati wrote:
wrote:
asdf wrote:
Apparently, from 25th September the charge for an incomplete Oyster
pre-pay journey starting or ending at the NR termini at Marylebone,
Euston, Liverpool Street and Fenchurch Street will be increased from
£1.70 to £5.00.

How will this work with boundary zone tickets then? I know from
experience of these at Victoria they do not open the gates (which makes
sense becuase they are valid from the zone boundary) and you have to
use your Oyster instead.

If you have a boundary ticket then you must also have an Oyster season
including Z1, which will open all gates within its appropriate zones
without recoursing to prepay, regardless of whether there is a touch-in
to go with each touch-out.

According to
http://www.atoc.org/traveltrade/manu...ionk-part2.pdf, I can use
a boundary zone extension with a one-day travelcard, including a 2-6
travelcard. Can't remember if these can be loaded onto Oyster.
But this combination isn't valid to zone 1, so you might end up paying £5
instead of the difference between a 2-6 and a 1-6 travelcard.

Colin McKenzie

And I thought these things were supposed to make travel less complicated.

Old September 1st 05, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 21:28:14 +0200, "Skokkie"
wrote:

And I thought these things were supposed to make travel less complicated.

They are, but I don't believe they will until the fares structure is
totally recast to make their (exclusive?) use make sense.

A paper-based fares structure does not translate well to smartcard
use, unless a virtual ticket is loaded before travel. I strongly
suspect that the National Rail version, when it happens, will be of
the latter type - can you imagine trying to implement PrePay on the
messy NR fares structure?

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain
Old September 2nd 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 11:06:05 +0100, asdf
wrote:

Route- and TOC-specific fares would have to go,
but how many of those are there entirely within the TfL zones?

I was referring to the entire national network, not the expansion of
Oyster onto NR within London. There is a proposal for a National Rail
smartcard unconnected with Oyster (though it may use the same
standard). Oyster Pre-Pay on London NR will probably be accompanied
with a "Verbundtarif" harmonising fares between NR and LUL completely.

You'd
also need to be able to store a Railcard on your Oyster.

It would be the ideal implementation of Railcards, as it would be
impossible to purchase and use a ticket without one.

Perhaps the biggest obstacle would be the need to install validators
at all stations if you were doing a "pre-pay style" setup. Can you
imagine one being installed at Reddish South? Or Kempston Hardwick?

I suspect that if it happens it will involve loading a ticket (or
tickets) onto the card before departure.

Neil

Old September 13th 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:44:50 +0100, Dave Arquati
wrote:

call the helpline instead - which, of course, wouldn't refund the money
because the card was unregistered. I didn't really understand why not.

I can't understand why anyone wouldn't register a card either!
Old September 27th 05, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

"asdf" wrote in message ...
Apparently, from 25th September the charge for an incomplete Oyster
pre-pay journey starting or ending at the NR termini at Marylebone,
Euston, Liverpool Street and Fenchurch Street will be increased from
£1.70 to £5.00.

A sign opposite the ticket barriers at Fenchurch Street today confirms this.