Old August 23rd 06, 06:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default Traffic Orders

What's the easiest way to find out whether the right turn from Peckham Hill
Street to Peckham High Street is banned? The geometry of the junction
suggests that it is banned, but doesn't make it impossible.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll...02494&t=k&om=1

There are no signs or road markings banning it. Windows Live Local thinks
it's banned, and so does my TomTom. Maybe it used to be banned, but isn't
anymore, and they haven't rebuilt the junction? It seems odd that you would
have to go through two separate stop lines and two separate traffic light
phases to do a legal right turn.

Obviously you can't be prosecuted for doing it, but I'd rather not be
driving down there one day only to find that signs which had been removed by
vandals had been reinstated.

Old August 23rd 06, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 18:05:30 +0100, John Rowland
wrote in :

What's the easiest way to find out whether the right turn from Peckham Hill
Street to Peckham High Street is banned? The geometry of the junction
suggests that it is banned, but doesn't make it impossible.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll...02494&t=k&om=1

There are no signs or road markings banning it. Windows Live Local thinks
it's banned, and so does my TomTom. Maybe it used to be banned, but isn't
anymore, and they haven't rebuilt the junction? It seems odd that you would
have to go through two separate stop lines and two separate traffic light
phases to do a legal right turn.

Obviously you can't be prosecuted for doing it, but I'd rather not be
driving down there one day only to find that signs which had been removed by
vandals had been reinstated.

The big question is whether there's a camera the
===
News Release
August 14, 2006

Enforcement of Illegal Traffic Movements

"Drivers who disobey road markings and traffic signs, including banned
right turns, no-entry, one-way streets and box junctions will be hit with
a Penalty Charge Notice for £50, if caught on camera from 1st. September
2006. The council will also fine drivers who block yellow .zig-zag. keep
clear markings outside schools.

London councils have been given powers to take on the enforcement of
moving traffic offences under the London Local Authority Act 2003.
Following successful pilots in other London boroughs, the council is
taking over responsibility for these matters from the Police.

Initially, the council will concentrate its enforcement on congestion and
accident hotspots plus known areas where drivers break the rules.
Enforcement will be based on CCTV evidence recorded from mobile CCTV units
that will be clearly marked. Trained officers will issue penalty notices
by observing and recording potential offences.

When an offence has been witnessed, a penalty charge notice will be sent
to the registered vehicle keeper by post. The £50 fine will increase to
£100 if it is not paid within 14 days. As with all parking tickets,
everyone has the right to appeal by writing to the address on the back of
the ticket. All revenue raised from fines can only be used for borough
wide traffic improvement schemes. Posters are being placed on advertising
boards around the borough, to remind motorists that they risk being fined
if they break the rules.

Cllr Keith Burrows, Cabinet Member for Planning and Transportation, said:
'Hillingdon Council hopes its enforcement against moving traffic
contraventions, which are all in the highway code, will lead to an
improvement in road safety and better traffic flow through the borough.s
road network. Drivers that ignore the road signs are not only endangering
themselves, but are also endangering other road users. Stopping
inconsiderate drivers will result in safer roads and less congestion for
local road users'."
===

I counted 11 new cameras in one block of Yiewsley High Street last
weekend...

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Old August 23rd 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Ian Ian is offline

"John Rowland" wrote in message

What's the easiest way to find out whether the right turn from Peckham
Hill Street to Peckham High Street is banned? The geometry of the junction
suggests that it is banned, but doesn't make it impossible.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll...02494&t=k&om=1

There are no signs or road markings banning it. Windows Live Local thinks
it's banned, and so does my TomTom. Maybe it used to be banned, but isn't
anymore, and they haven't rebuilt the junction? It seems odd that you
would have to go through two separate stop lines and two separate traffic
light phases to do a legal right turn.

Obviously you can't be prosecuted for doing it, but I'd rather not be
driving down there one day only to find that signs which had been removed
by vandals had been reinstated.

Try the highways department of the local council. However, looking at the
picture from Goggle it looks like the turn is very difficult. To turn right
out of Peckham Hill Road you would need to cross the right turn lane from
Peckham High Street. That wouldn't be possible if any vehicles were already
using it. I imagine the direction signs make this clear.

The traffic in the photos appears to be turning right from Peckham Hill Road
into Commercial Way, and then left into Southampton Way before turning right
into Peckham Road.

Ian

Old August 24th 06, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

John Rowland wrote:
What's the easiest way to find out whether the right turn from Peckham Hill
Street to Peckham High Street is banned? The geometry of the junction
suggests that it is banned, but doesn't make it impossible.

Ask the Council - Tel: 020 7525 2000

Street Scene Infrastructure Group
151 Walworth Road London SE17 1RY

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll...02494&t=k&om=1

There are no signs or road markings banning it. Windows Live Local thinks
it's banned, and so does my TomTom. Maybe it used to be banned, but isn't
anymore, and they haven't rebuilt the junction? It seems odd that you would
have to go through two separate stop lines and two separate traffic light
phases to do a legal right turn.

You would not go through the process of revoking a Traffic Order for no
reason, but an order is unlikely to be enforceable unless the correct
signs are present. Are there no direction arrows on (or adjacent to)
the traffic lights? For example a 'this way only' sign (white arrow in
a blue disc) effectively has the same meaning as a banned turn sign at
a location like this.

Obviously you can't be prosecuted for doing it, but I'd rather not be
driving down there one day only to find that signs which had been removed by
vandals had been reinstated.

Why not? Surely as a safe & responsible driver you would take note of
any new signs which might appear; and would wish the council to repair
any damage. In any case, banned turns or not, this looks (at least
from the air) like a manoevre which would only be attempted by
tweg-heads. Am I missing something?

Old August 24th 06, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

wrote in :

[...]

snipped

We could do with a few of those near me, especially box junction cameras.
Then we need to get box junctions painted on roundabouts so that traffic
"stuck" on it doesn't block other traffic unnecessarily (i.e. traffic coming
from right to left where I want to go straight across).
That'd reduce congestion.

Old August 26th 06, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Ian wrote:
[...]

Yes, that would probably be the best way to do it, I don't think there
is a no right turn sign up, I go through it frequently, but it is pretty
obvious there is only one way to go, but being Peckham I have seen
people attempting to turn right there, but getting seriously hassled by
everyone else around.

--
Martin