Old November 3rd 06, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Questions on the 2016 London Transport map esp the trams

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, asdf wrote:

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 19:11:07 +0000, Paul Corfield wrote:

There are other errors such as showing Thameslink 2000 (hah!) but still
showing a service to Moorgate. The Moorgate to Finsbury Park line is
missing and yet the link out of Kings Cross from Thameslink is shown -
eh?

Oddly, it doesn't show all of TL2k - none of the new branches south of
the river are shown.

Yes, that really is odd. Maybe they hadn't made their minds up about what
was going to happen down there at that point.

Crossrail to Maidenhead also isn't shown; i'm not sure if this is an
omission, or whether that wasn't the plan at the time.

As well as Shoreditch, Watford Met is still shown, even though it will
close if the Croxley Link does go ahead.

I don't think this is certain. ISTR LU more or less saying it would be
Mill Hilled.

It also still shows Euston-Watford all stations, and no Bakerloo Line to
Watford, but perhaps the map was drawn up before those changes were
decided.

Again, i don't think this idea that the bakerloo will completely replace
the Euston service is definite. Since it's quite a silly idea, i certainly
hope it isn't!

tom

--
The sun just came out, I can't believe it

Old November 3rd 06, 05:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 16:44:39 +0000, Tom Anderson wrote:

Crossrail to Maidenhead also isn't shown; i'm not sure if this is an
omission, or whether that wasn't the plan at the time.

Crossrail seems to have been "simplified" west of Ealing Broadway.
This is perhaps understandable, as otherwise it would have to cross
the WLT route somewhere between Ealing Hospital and Southall then
U-turn southwards to Heathrow. Probably an inevitable consequence of
having to fit WLT and the GWML to the existing Tube map's
simplifications of geography.

It also still shows Euston-Watford all stations, and no Bakerloo Line to
Watford, but perhaps the map was drawn up before those changes were
decided.

Again, i don't think this idea that the bakerloo will completely replace
the Euston service is definite. Since it's quite a silly idea, i certainly
hope it isn't!

AIUI it's TfL's current plan, though I think it'll face a lot of
opposition.
Old November 3rd 06, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Stephen Farrow wrote:

And never mind the newer systems - double-decker buses and trams
coexisted perfectly well throughout the first half of the twentieth
century. It's a non-issue.

There are also numerous railway level crossings where lorries and buses pass
beneath much higher voltages, including two in the Enfield/Waltham Cross
area.

Although the railway did get a bit upset when they discovered that the
Lea Valley Leisure open top bus service was passing beneath it!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old November 3rd 06, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . 145,
Tristán White writes
there's something romantic about a tram - perhaps it's because there
are trams in all those romantic cities in Europe,

Croydon, Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester....... :-)

Old November 12th 06, 12:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

Also, what is Thameslink 2000 called these days? Surely it should
be the Thameslink Extension, which would give us TLX, and perhaps
let us get George Lucas on board.

I believe the term is "Thameslink Project" now.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old November 12th 06, 07:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tristán White" wrote:
Just had another look at what is without a doubt my favourite London
transport map:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/pdf/press-releases/putting-transport-onthemap.pdf

It's how the network SHOULD look in 2016. I love the map.

One thing that made me wonder about things is Dalston Junction. Have the
Crossrail 2 plans gone to pot?

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Old November 12th 06, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

AstraVanMan wrote:
"Tristán White" wrote:
Just had another look at what is without a doubt my favourite London
transport map:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/pdf/press-releases/putting-transport-onthemap.pdf

It's how the network SHOULD look in 2016. I love the map.

One thing that made me wonder about things is Dalston Junction. Have the
Crossrail 2 plans gone to pot?

No - but Crossrail 1 is very much the focus. In fact, I heard the other
day that some amendments were being made to the CR2 safeguarding to keep
it up to date - not sure exactly what, but it's still alive - just in
hibernation.

Construction on CR2 would never begin before CR1 construction ended -
there just aren't the resources for it. However, it would be entirely
possible to roll the CR1 construction team straight on to CR2, saving a
lot of time (and possibly money). ISTR a suggestion that the Olympic
construction team was rolled straight on to CR1 in the same way.

--
Dave Arquati
Old November 20th 06, 01:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:

I know Cross River will be using Waterloo Bridge, but what about the
other crossings of the other trams? Above or below the river? The new
Thames Gateway bridge? And the crossing to Kinsgston?

The line shown to Kingston is a railway, not a tramway, and will be using
the existing tracks from Gunnersbury to Kingston. The purple line from
Custom House will be a new tunnel for Crossrail. The pink line from Gallions
Reach will be two dedicated public transport lanes on the new Thames Gateway
Bridge.