Old February 23rd 07, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Secret Tube Trains under London?

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 09:33:46AM +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
David Hansen
remarked:
How one would prevent millions of people leaving London is beyond
me.

Luckily we don't have to rely on you to do this.
Closing all the railway stations would be a good start - just look at
the chaos when even one line out of London is closed, let alone all of
them.

"I want to go home after work" is a bit different from "I must leave
London RIGHT NOW otherwise $germ will turn me into a flesh-eating
zombie". In the latter case, even lazy suits will discover that they
can walk.

Aluminum makes a nice hat.
All paranoids will tell you that.
But what most do not know
Is reflections will show
On the CIA's evil landsat.

Old February 23rd 07, 03:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

"Alistair Gunn" wrote in message
. ..
In uk.railway Clive Coleman. twisted the electrons to say:
I watched a programme years ago on a channel like National Geographical,
and if I remember, the sub had to be in contact (radio wise) with the
white house and unless they entered the right code into the system, it
won't work. Things might have changed, but I somehow doubt it.

So if the USSR had done a depressed trajectory shot onto the White House
(or more probably Cheyenne Mountain) from just off the USA's coast as
their opening move then the entire western nuclear arsenel is unworkable?
Doesn't sound too sensible to me.

People are always claiming that the UK Tridents can't be fired without
the USA authorisation (or even that only the USA controls them), but they
never seem to be able to provide any evidence for this (or any evidence
as to why the UK would be foolish enough to sign up to such a deal).

I accept this is from the New Statesman but check it out anyway -
http://www.newstatesman.com/200603270008

also, strange how Bliar is sooo anxious for US anti missile systems to be
on UK soil when Dubya seems to want them in Poland or Czechoslovakia to wind
up the Soviets

steveb

Old February 23rd 07, 03:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , Alistair Gunn
writes
People are always claiming that the UK Tridents can't be fired without
the USA authorisation (or even that only the USA controls them), but they
never seem to be able to provide any evidence for this (or any evidence
as to why the UK would be foolish enough to sign up to such a deal).

You may debate it as much as you like, I can remember when Trident was
being negotiated with the Merkins to replace Polaris, and it was sold to
us as being a steal at HALF PRICE, and hidden away in smaller print,
(the sort of thing that Newsnight picks up) was the Merkins had right of
veto.
--
Clive.
Old February 23rd 07, 03:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , Graeme Wall
writes
Thay's for USN boats, RN boats have to be in contact with Northwood and
thence to Downing Street. Exactly how they get their launch codes is, for
obvious reasons, not widely advertised. However there is alldgedly a back-up
plan whereby a boat captain can launch on his own initiative if they fail to
get the shipping forecast. The twin key system here is that both he and his
first officer have to enter their own codes in order to arm the launch
system.

I can't comment on that because I don't know anything about procedures,
I just remember the fuss at the time, because it cost us so much and
could not be independently operated.
--
Clive.
Old February 23rd 07, 03:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message
David Jackson wrote:

The message
from Graeme Wall contains these words:

Now that's service for you.

Yup! That's what we thought - especially when the driver raised the
blind between the cab and passenger part of the unit to give us a
panoramic view of the Cumbrian coastal area.

Nostalgic grin

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Old February 23rd 07, 04:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

The message
from Dave Holland contains these words:

Cumbrian coastal area.

Amusing juxtaposition of subject line and body text. :-)

Just trying to please...

My small contribution brought a little civilisation into a thread about
the Metrollops. ;-))

--
Dave,
Frodsham
Old February 23rd 07, 04:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

On Feb 23, 7:07 am, "Brian Watson" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

oups.com...

On 22 Feb, 14:24, "Peter Ashby" wrote:
"Brian Watson" wrote in message

A contributor to The Robert Elms Show on BBC Radio London has just
claimed
there are secret underground train lines between Buckingham Palace and
various other London sites.

Nifty conspiracy theory, or fact?
Well, Brian I have to say many thanks for livening up this news group !!

Pete

To which newsgroup do you refer - as he copied his post to three, as I
think have all (or at least most) of the other contributors.

I only copied them to ngs where the question was on-topic.

Thought we'd get immediate thread drift if I included a royal family group.
--
Brian- Hide quoted text -

I would have thought that the Royal Family would have planned to
evacuate from London in a similar fashion to that planned for the
Prime Minister's Helicopter Party, during the early-mid 1960s (see
extract of declassified BURLINGTON related file below)

Prime Minister's Helicopter Party

Geraghty and I discussed with Bishop the Prime Minister's helicopter
lift to BURLINGTON. It was agreed for planning purposes the party
proposed to the Prime Minister (War Book Top Secret Annex Chapter II,
Section 3, serial 8) should be as under:

Prime Minister and two personal staff officers 3
Ministers
12
Secretary of the
Cabinet 1
Chiefs of
Staff 4
Secretary of the Chiefs of Staff Committee 1

This leaves a reserve of 4 which could be added to the list at the
last moment.

click on the link to view pic of the actual page

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...k/60fc7b85.jpg

Mike

Old February 23rd 07, 05:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

"Andrew Clark" wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote

It would probably be more secret.

No-one knows where most of the Royals are anyway. Smuggling them out by help
or car seems less conspicuous than hijacking a train and seizing exclusive
use of part of the network for the necessary time.

I recall a "book at bedtime" serial on Radio 4 called "The day they kidnapped
Queen Victoria", about the hijacking of the Royal Train somewhere in Cumbria.

--
John Youles Norwich England UK
Old February 23rd 07, 05:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message
"Clive Coleman." wrote:

In message , Graeme Wall
writes
Thay's for USN boats, RN boats have to be in contact with Northwood and
thence to Downing Street. Exactly how they get their launch codes is,
for obvious reasons, not widely advertised. However there is alldgedly a
back-up plan whereby a boat captain can launch on his own initiative if
they fail to get the shipping forecast. The twin key system here is that
both he and his first officer have to enter their own codes in order to
arm the launch system.

I can't comment on that because I don't know anything about procedures, I
just remember the fuss at the time, because it cost us so much and could
not be independently operated.

Well it was only acquired as an ego trip for Thatcher, we certainly don't
need it. Just as the new version will be acquired as an ego trip for
Blair/Brown/Cameron whoever actually signs off on it.

Old February 23rd 07, 05:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

On 23 Feb, 11:10, Graeme Wall wrote:
In message
David Hansen wrote:

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:06:50 +0000 someone who may be Roland Perry
wrote this:-

It would probably be more secret. And it depends what the risk is. If it
was a dirty biological bomb in London, and a riot amongst the populace
who were being prevented from leaving for fear of infecting the rest of
the country, it could well be the best of the three options.

The purple powder incident in the Westminster parliament
demonstrated the difference between plans and reality. The bods
should have been kept in the chamber to prevent potential
contamination of others, but they left.

How one would prevent millions of people leaving London is beyond
me.

There was a plan to clear a big open space all the way round London that
could be patrolled by armed police and military units that would prevent any
one trying to get out from the inner zone. Would have cost many millions of
pounds to put into practice.

That rings a bell. Have you by any chance got War Plan UK?