Old February 22nd 07, 04:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Default Secret Tube Trains under London?

"Clive Coleman." wrote in message
In message , Bill Again
writes
Hence the Private Eye headline in the days when Phil

I've got this nagging feeling that Spitting Image had a different name for
him, but what was it?
--
Clive.

Phil the Greek ???

Old February 22nd 07, 05:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Graeme Wall wrote in message
:

In message
"Clive Coleman." wrote:

In message , Roland Perry
writes
They travel on scheduled trains these days, as well as scheduled
airlines.

Didn't Charlie ride in the cab of the first official day of Victoria
line running? I do remember the queen having a ride on the post
office railway, though I can't remember the occasion.

Brenda actually. The LT staff magazine had a photo of her at the
controls of the first train. Can't find my copy at the moment so
can't say if Jug Ears was there as well.

I've found a photo of the Queen making a speech on the platform of Green
Park station on 7 March 1969 when the Warren Street to Victoria section of
the line was opened. Prince Charles in not in the photo and there's no
mention that he was there.

There is a photo of Prince Charles in the cab of a Jubilee Line train at
Charing Cross at the official opening of the line on 30 April 1979.

Both these photos are in "The London Underground - An Illustrated History",
Oliver Green, pub Ian Allen, ISBN 0-7110-1720-4.

Old February 22nd 07, 05:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:48:52 on Thu,
22 Feb 2007, Graeme Wall remarked:
The Royal family don't travel by public transport because of the
security problems it would pose.

They travel on scheduled trains these days, as well as scheduled
airlines.

But not on tube trains or buses. Much easier to segregate them at
airports and main line stations.

So we agree that they do use public transport, just not all varieties.

Not really, special arrangements are made, they get platform and lounge space
for themselves, the first class coach or section of cabin is for their use
only. That can hardly be sensibly referred to as using public transport in
the sense that everyone else does.

Graeme, do stop wriggling. It's not becoming.
Old February 22nd 07, 05:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:22:39 -0000, Andrew Clark wrote:

In what conceivable circumstances would members of the Royal Family be
evacuated from Buckingham Place by *tube train*? Of all the modes of
emergency transport, that seem the least likely.

Nuclear attack?
Old February 22nd 07, 05:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , Martin
Underwood writes
I've found a photo of the Queen making a speech on the platform of Green
Park station on 7 March 1969 when the Warren Street to Victoria section of
the line was opened. Prince Charles in not in the photo and there's no
mention that he was there.

There is a photo of Prince Charles in the cab of a Jubilee Line train at
Charing Cross at the official opening of the line on 30 April 1979.

That'll be my mistake then, sorry.
--
Clive.

Old February 22nd 07, 05:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:05:49 +0000, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

Down Street is nearer,

[...]
But does it benefit from a usable platform?

There are stub platforms, perhaps 4m long, on each line. If a train (in
either direction) stopped at the old starter signal as if it was
stopping at the station, you can enter the driver's cab from the stub
platform.

During WW2 (and perhaps still?) it was possible for someone waiting on
the stub platform to manually replace the signal to red, in order to
"hail" a passing train.
Old February 22nd 07, 05:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

On Feb 21, 4:38 pm, "notbresson" wrote:
"allan tracy" wrote in message

oups.com... On Feb 21, 2:20 pm, "Brian Watson" wrote:
A contributor to The Robert Elms Show on BBC Radio London has just
claimed
there are secret underground train lines between Buckingham Palace and
various other London sites.

Would this be an opportune momment to raise the issue of the
'Strategic Reserve'?

It's at Heapy ex ROF site.
Try parking up close to the site and if you look in the right place you see
little camera in the trees move and point at you.
It was rail connected but it is only a short low loader haul to Network Rail
lines. Mostley ex WD 2-8-0s and some Stanier 2-8-0s with large hoppers of
coal there also. Army trucks take in personel to maintain famililiarity with
the machines and occasionally they must fire up because smoke can sometimes
be seen.
No coincidence that it isn't far from Lostock Hall and Lower Darwen sheds
which were among the last steam shed closures.
Honest. It's true.

Lower Darwen closed some years before the end of steam, IIRC.

Old February 22nd 07, 05:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 17:48:52 on Thu,
22 Feb 2007, Graeme Wall remarked:
The Royal family don't travel by public transport because of the
security problems it would pose.

They travel on scheduled trains these days, as well as scheduled
airlines.

But not on tube trains or buses. Much easier to segregate them at
airports and main line stations.

So we agree that they do use public transport, just not all varieties.

Not really, special arrangements are made, they get platform and lounge
space for themselves, the first class coach or section of cabin is for
their use only. That can hardly be sensibly referred to as using public
transport in the sense that everyone else does.

Graeme, do stop wriggling. It's not becoming.

I see you have fallen back into your bad old ways of being insulting when you
get things wrong.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Old February 22nd 07, 05:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

"Clive Coleman." wrote:

[...]

One of the pamphlets put out at the opening of the line has a shot of Charles
in overalls and 'ard 'at down one of the tunnels during the construction.

Old February 22nd 07, 06:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote

It makes some sense to make a dash to the west by Piccadilly line, perhaps
transferring to a main line train on the outskirts.

But in what scenario might this option be any better than a road or air
evacuation, or staying out? I can't imagine one.