Old March 20th 07, 11:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Asfordby to be used to test air conditioned tube trains

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
"Roland Perry" wrote in message

I hadn't realised that the main-line TOCs (as opposed to London
Underground) no longer used Old Dalby, as the report implies by the talk
of saving the line from closure by the decision to test LU trains there.
I'd assumed that Old Dalby would still be used for testing main line
trains - and now, additionally, LU trains. If main-line trains are no
longer tested there, then where are they tested?

There are trains being tested in the Czech Republic - the part of RP's

Paul

Old March 20th 07, 11:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
"Roland Perry" wrote in message

I hadn't realised that the main-line TOCs (as opposed to London
Underground) no longer used Old Dalby, as the report implies by the talk
of saving the line from closure by the decision to test LU trains there.
I'd assumed that Old Dalby would still be used for testing main line
trains - and now, additionally, LU trains. If main-line trains are no
longer tested there, then where are they tested?

There are trains being tested in the Czech Republic - the part of RP's

Oh so it's yet another thing that's being done overseas? Is there *anything*
that we can do in this country without having to do it overseas?

Old March 20th 07, 11:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
"Roland Perry" wrote in message

I hadn't realised that the main-line TOCs (as opposed to London
Underground) no longer used Old Dalby, as the report implies by the talk
of saving the line from closure by the decision to test LU trains there.
I'd assumed that Old Dalby would still be used for testing main line
trains - and now, additionally, LU trains. If main-line trains are no
longer tested there, then where are they tested?

There are trains being tested in the Czech Republic - the part of RP's

Oh so it's yet another thing that's being done overseas? Is there
*anything* that we can do in this country without having to do it
overseas?

All the recent EMU/DMU orders have been delivered through the tunnel, having
been tested on Siemens' test track, although the SWT Desiros all went
through a limited test on the Bournemouth-Weymouth line as well prior to
entry into service. If any further orders for whole trains rather than
extra carriages for existing (Voyagers, Pendolinos, 185s etc) require pre
delivery testing, it will depend on where they are built, I suppose. I
believe the only sizeable order in the pipeline is for Bombardier
Electrostars for the NLL and ELL - its possible these don't need a test
track as such, as they are effectively follow on orders of existing types in
use in the Southeastern area.

Having said all that, was Asfordby fitted with third rail at all? At least
the short section of LU electrification being fitted might be adaptable for
third rail testing, and apparently Metronet have decided to retain the
OHLE...

Paul

Old March 20th 07, 11:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at
12:06:55 on Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Martin Underwood
remarked:
I hadn't realised that the main-line TOCs (as opposed to London Underground)
no longer used Old Dalby, as the report implies by the talk of saving the
line from closure by the decision to test LU trains there. I'd assumed that
Old Dalby would still be used for testing main line trains - and now,
additionally, LU trains.

The news of the closure travelled as far as me, but perhaps I was
attuned to it as the test line is only a couple of miles from where I
live and the former alignment north of the test track passes within a
few hundred yards of where I live (it's now variously a nature trail and
a road bridge over the Trent)

There was some criticism at the time that no-one seemed to want to take
a more long term view of preserving the test track for future use.

If main-line trains are no longer tested there, then where are they
tested?

Is there any significant new build that needs testing at the moment? One
older train was recently reported to have been sent to Czech Republic
for testing.

I have to say the TV news item yesterday did confuse me, as they called
the line "Asfordby" and not "Old Dalby". So for a moment there I though
they'd opened up a new test track ignoring the possibility of re-opening
Old Dalby.
Old March 20th 07, 01:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 20, 12:18 pm, "Martin Underwood" wrote:
Oh so it's yet another thing that's being done overseas? Is there *anything*
that we can do in this country without having to do it overseas?

Nope. Bean counters don't believe in keeping skills and technical know
how in this country if it can save them a few quid (unless its their
own profession of course - funny how they never get outsourced isn't
it). Short termism is the new religion in britain today.

B2003

Old March 20th 07, 01:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 20, 11:24 am, "Recliner" wrote:
Does Tube Lines have a separate test track, apart from the 900m
signalling test track within Highgate depot or the fourth track at South

Is there the possibility for them to extend that track back through
the tunnel to highgate high level station if they wanted? Or would the
tunnel(s) require a refurb first?

B2003

Old March 20th 07, 09:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:24:07 -0000, "Recliner"
wrote:

"Kev" wrote in message
roups.com
On Mar 20, 10:40 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
alex_t wrote:
Sub-surface stock (Met/District/Circle/H&C) will be
air-conditioned. Tube stock will only have air-conditioning in the
driver's cabs. Trials of groundwater colling are being carried out
at Victoria.

Note to myself: rent next flat within walking distance from Met/
District/Circle/H&C.

Note to myself: rent basement flat within spitting distance of
Victoria.

I wonder why Metronet and Tubelines can't club together and have a
joint test track instead of two seperate ones at double the cost.

Does Tube Lines have a separate test track, apart from the 900m
signalling test track within Highgate depot or the fourth track at South
Ealing? As (I think) it's using a different signalling system to
Metronet, there doesn't seem to be much point in using the same test
track.

As far as new trains are concerned, I assume it'll be a few years before
new Piccadilly Line trains need testing. In contrast, Metronet has
all-new fleets coming soon for the Victoria Line and all the subsurface
lines -- a very large fleet of getting on for 2000 cars.

Tubelines only has the test tracks you mentioned (though South Ealing
is a shared resource) except for limited commissioning tracks being
prepared in the depots. The new Picc stock won't need testing until
about 2009/2010 and the test track location may depend on who builds
them and in which country - no contract has been placed for these yet.

Paul

Old March 24th 07, 06:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

news

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

[...]

There's the government's "1000 extra carridges" order, if you believe that
will happen, though of course that should be split across existing designs.
I'd imagine them to be new tranches of complete units to bolster fleets.

We are not the only country to be testing abroad. The new TGV POS sets for
Paris - Germany - Strasbourg, although built in France, have also been
tested in the Czech Republic for some reason.

Dave

Tube test train drivers Basil Jet[_2_] London Transport 3 April 25th 10 11:40 AM
Still can't get used to seeing trains with pantographs at Shortlands Rupert Candy[_3_] London Transport 13 March 24th 09 03:57 PM
air conditioned buses Stuart London Transport 17 July 29th 08 09:56 AM
Old Dalby Test Track to be used by Metronet Paul Scott London Transport 77 February 18th 07 01:33 PM
I've been to London for business meetings and told myself that I'd be back to see London for myself. (rather than flying one day and out the next) I've used the tube briefly and my questions a Stuart Teo London Transport 4 January 30th 04 03:57 PM