Old November 27th 07, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default LT lies

On 27 Nov, 14:08, Mizter T wrote:
On 27 Nov, 13:32, MIG wrote:

On 27 Nov, 12:48, "Clive." wrote:

MIG writes:
In a non-safety-critical context, the poster used an everyday term (he
didn't say northbound, but that the train headed north). There can't
be any doubt about what he meant (and which you disputed the truth of,
so must have understood).

Surely there can't be that many loons who carry a compass around in
London. (Incase they get lost?)
All the underground lines, in maps for public consumption show all lines
to be either north south or east west, for clarity, what's wrong with
holding to that convention?
--
Clive.

I haven't seen any maps showing Southgate east of Arnos Grove. I was
defending the reference to a train heading north, which it would be in
reality and on all diagrams.

I haven't delved in to the details of Boltar's complaint/rant and I'm
not going to, but I quite agree that there's nothing wrong with
describing a train heading north at this point, when that's exactly
what it was (or wasn't) doing. The general public don't need to abide
by LU's operational compass because the general public ain't running
the trains, they're travelling on them.

Plus, I always like to have some idea of what direction N/S/E/W is,
though no I don't carry a compass (although there are definitely
occasions when I would find it useful).-

I once got out at Kentish Town in the ****ing rain* and couldn't see
any road names, so I used a compass to find the starting direction to
get to the London Hazards Centre (as was). However, this is possibly
the only time in my whole life that I used a compass in London.

However however, that's mainly because I haven't usually got one with
me, so who knows?

*My heavy-duty waterproof happened to have a compass in the pocket.

Old November 27th 07, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Nov, 14:19, MIG wrote:
On 27 Nov, 14:08, Mizter T wrote:

(snip)

Plus, I always like to have some idea of what direction N/S/E/W is,
though no I don't carry a compass (although there are definitely
occasions when I would find it useful).-

I once got out at Kentish Town in the ****ing rain* and couldn't see
any road names, so I used a compass to find the starting direction to
get to the London Hazards Centre (as was). However, this is possibly
the only time in my whole life that I used a compass in London.

However however, that's mainly because I haven't usually got one with
me, so who knows?

*My heavy-duty waterproof happened to have a compass in the pocket.

Whilst I'm very much a fan of the A-Z, I often don't have one in my
bag and I often don't have a bag at all. I also like to work out or
discover the back streets route. So I'm often of the 'that's the broad
direction to go in' persuasion, which can be very successful and can
be frustrating, but is often educational and interesting - but some
back streets have a tendency to gradually curve and thus change your
trajectory and thus somewhat lose your bearings (I'm not thinking
about central London here), and this is where a compass could come in
handy. I'd never consider myself lost in such a situation though!
Old November 27th 07, 02:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 27, 3:46 am, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message
, MIG
writes

Does that mean that a train going from Oakwood to Cockfosters is
heading east?

Yes, sort of. It's heading west on the eastbound track. It's still an
eastbound train though.

Whatever your annoyance, I don't think the use of genuine compass
directions is worthy of criticism.

It's very important to know what everyone is talking about. That's
where (potentially) tragic incidents occur. The Piccadilly is an east -
west railway, regardless of the actual direction travelled.

Whilst I agree with the fact that the Piccadilly is operationally an
East - West railway, it isn't always for the poor passengers. There
are still many signs that it used to be a combination of an E-W and a
N-S one (going way back to when it was originally built as a merger of
E-W and N-S planned lines). There are still signs at Holborn where the
platforms are labelled as West (towards Heathrow / Uxbridge) and North
(towards Cockfosters). Can anyone say when the line 'officially'
became E-W throughout? Was it after Aldwych closed?
Old November 27th 07, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 26, 6:51 pm, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
The one who had just got off, or the replacement one? The one who had

The one who got off. Never saw the replacement. I'm assuming it was
another driver who took it to cockfosters.

No, you didn't see that train go 'north'. The first train went back

Err , yes I did. I think I know which is way is north thanks. There
may well have been one go south too.

west, the one that went east (don't forget the Piccadilly is an east to
west railway) was about 10 minutes later. Once a decision has been made

Don't care what LUL says , arnos grove to southgate is north, look on
a map. They can call it eastbound if they want if 4 compass directions
is too complicated for them.

Anyway, wasn't it you the other week who was celebrating that you no
longer have to use the Underground? That didn't last long then did it?

You think I'd be coming home from work at 4pm? Believe me , I use the
hertford north FCC line wherever I can. I'm sick to bloody death with
the tube. Heard on the radio today there were delays on the picc due
to yet another "signal failure" at finsbury park. Quelle surprise. How
hard after 140 years can it be to manufacture a bloody signal that
works reliably especially as I've never come across it on any other
metro system I've travelled on (and I've been on quite a few).

B2003
Old November 27th 07, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, MIG
writes
All the underground lines, in maps for public consumption show all lines
to be either north south or east west, for clarity, what's wrong with
holding to that convention?
--
Clive.

I haven't seen any maps showing Southgate east of Arnos Grove. I was
defending the reference to a train heading north, which it would be in
reality and on all diagrams.

When I worked on the Central line, Leytonstone to Epping, though as
northbound as any other route, was still described as eastbound, as was
Newbury park to Hainault.
Hey, who am I to tell someone else that orienteering by tube isn't a
good idea?
--
Clive.

Old November 27th 07, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:

I once got out at Kentish Town in the ****ing rain* and couldn't see
any road names, so I used a compass to find the starting direction to
get to the London Hazards Centre (as was). However, this is possibly
the only time in my whole life that I used a compass in London.

You never need a compass unless you are in the countryside or a conservation
area, because satellite dishes in Britain always point south.

Old November 27th 07, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 27, 9:39 pm, "Clive." wrote:
In message
, MIG
writesAll the underground lines, in maps for public consumption show all lines
to be either north south or east west, for clarity, what's wrong with
holding to that convention?
--
Clive.

I haven't seen any maps showing Southgate east of Arnos Grove. I was
defending the reference to a train heading north, which it would be in
reality and on all diagrams.

When I worked on the Central line, Leytonstone to Epping, though as
northbound as any other route, was still described as eastbound, as was
Newbury park to Hainault.
Hey, who am I to tell someone else that orienteering by tube isn't a
good idea?

I wonder what it's called now when they continue to Woodford after
Hainault? Is is still going eastbound? I suppose it must be.

But that would mean that two consecutive trains in the same direction
at the same station could be going eastbound and westbound (starting
from Grange Hill in the peak).
Old November 27th 07, 11:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
On 27 Nov, 12:48, "Clive." wrote:
In message
,
MIG writesIn a non-safety-critical
context, the poster used an everyday term (he
didn't say northbound, but that the train headed north). There
can't be any doubt about what he meant (and which you disputed the
truth of, so must have understood).

Surely there can't be that many loons who carry a compass around in
London. (Incase they get lost?)
All the underground lines, in maps for public consumption show all
lines to be either north south or east west, for clarity, what's
wrong with holding to that convention?
--
Clive.

I haven't seen any maps showing Southgate east of Arnos Grove.

I'm sure you must have seen this one on the Piccadilly Line ...
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/piccadilly.pdf

--
Richard J.

Old November 28th 07, 01:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote

MIG wrote:

I once got out at Kentish Town in the ****ing rain* and couldn't

see
any road names, so I used a compass to find the starting direction

get to the London Hazards Centre (as was). However, this is

possibly
the only time in my whole life that I used a compass in London.

You never need a compass unless you are in the countryside or a

conservation
area, because satellite dishes in Britain always point south.

No satellite dishes in conservation areas.

And I am one of those who carries a tiny compass (on my key fob), even
in London.

Not needed when the sun shines of course.

--
Mike D

Old November 28th 07, 07:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
.uk...
MIG wrote:
On 27 Nov, 12:48, "Clive." wrote:
In message
,
MIG writesIn a non-safety-critical
context, the poster used an everyday term (he
didn't say northbound, but that the train headed north). There
can't be any doubt about what he meant (and which you disputed the
truth of, so must have understood).

Surely there can't be that many loons who carry a compass around in
London. (Incase they get lost?)
All the underground lines, in maps for public consumption show all
lines to be either north south or east west, for clarity, what's
wrong with holding to that convention?
--
Clive.

I haven't seen any maps showing Southgate east of Arnos Grove.

I'm sure you must have seen this one on the Piccadilly Line ...
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/piccadilly.pdf

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/northern.pdf

Does this mean Kennington is west of Morden as well?

Peter Smyth